Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....2

Sam Palmer, that is proving to be the best part of the Olympics. We live under the flight path for Northolt base and over the last few days we've seen/heard typhoons and chinooks and yesterday I saw a seaking.

Lots of flypasts coming up for Jubilee so should see some good stuff.

Going to Greenwich to see HMS Ocean while it's there.

Not done much this weekend, recovering from Friday night Animal Science social ;)

Today I properly tidied and chucked out loads of stuff, cleaned + vacuumed my room and washed towels + bedding.

Rooms looks loads better now! :lol:

My good deed for the day - When out for an early morning cycle I spotted a cat grab a bird from a wall :( I rang my bell and the frightened cat dropped the bird. It was a young robin and it managed to roll over and hop quickly away. It seemed to be ok, just a bit stunned. Hopefully it will fully recover :pray:

Spent another day renovating my house, ripped up the nasty shag-pile carpet in the front room, to find carpet tiles underneath, pulled those up too and found 2 different types of lino and some wooden boards. Also found a newspaper dated 1993 under there too :lol:. Ripped all the flooring up and made a plywood cover for the gap in the floor where the fireplace once was and put down underlay ready for the new flooring to be put on.

From This:

IMG_0071.jpg

To This:

IMG_0076.jpg

Edited by Guest

....if you ever need a job renovating an old property, just shout Tom; my house is taking me years to do!

What age is your place and roughly where is it?

Just spent half an hour fixing the washing machine - thank goodness it was mend-able *phew*. It hadn't/wouldn't drain or spin, tried different programs... nothing, door was properly closed, ended up sitting on the floor in the utility room with a baking pan to catch the water as I used the emergency drain hose to empty it, then took out the pump filter and lo-and-behold.... there was one of Rosie's hair slides :roll::evil: It is now spinning and working fine 8)

Well done and good luck to him.

Rosie is off on an umpiring course today; she's on the school rounders team which is currently top of the county league, she's been put forward for this course by her games mistress but isn't much looking forward to spending a day out in the rain. :?

Am watching the Great British Menu and wondering why the heck you would make a pea puree and then drip it into fat to make little round emulsified balls that look just like, well, erm ... peas. Why the heck not just dish up some peas, especially when this little experiment failed each time he tried it. Emperor's New Clothes?

Cycling home from work, in the pouring rain. Coming down a hill, traffic lights ahead turn red, so I hit the brakes, and they decide to fail :( . Managed to stop by using my foot and by going up a hill. Since I had no brakes I had to walk the 2 or so miles home.

That's a pain Fred, at least you're OK.

Had that happen on a car once... the main cylinder went on my way back from work; I drove back using the gears and hand brake and went straight to a mechanic friend's garage so he could fix it for me. No idea why I didn't just call the RAC out :roll::oops: still, it improved my driving skills no end.

What age is your place and roughly where is it?

I think it was built in the Victorian era, due to the types of building materials used that are no longer in use today.

It is 0.3 miles away from the Derby inner ring road (which surronds the town centre) so it is really close to the shops and uni.

Bit cross on YS's behalf :evil: .

There was a mistake in one question on his Advanced Higher Geography paper. They were told about it and given a sheet with the corrections made.

However, it was the last question and by the time YS got to the end, he'd forgotten about the correct sheet (it was also buried under a pile of papers - you get a lot of extra bits of paper with the AH Geog paper). He spent 10 minutes trying to do the question, unsuccessfully, and by the time he remembered about the correction, he'd run out of time to do the whole question. He managed about half of it but it was 20 marks in total.

I don't suppose there's much we can do as they were told about the correction sheet but if they hadn't made that mistake in the first place this wouldn't have happened :evil: .

Normally if there is an error in the paper, you are allowed to correct the mistake before the time starts. This is what happened last year with the A-Levels, which had something like 30 errors in them.

Lots of work needed then? Mine has been an ongoing project since I moved in

Quite a bit, but luckily the wiring, insulation and the bathroom was redone beforehand and new double glazing was put in too. It needs a new floor, paint, a new kitchen and a new wall. But since its not a structural wall it should be fairly easy to construct.

The police and bomb squad were at one of the other halls earlier. Apparently someone made some exploding paste (that they saw on Brainac) so the bomb squad did a controlled explosion of it in the car park. The person who made it was also arrested.

The police and bomb squad were at one of the other halls earlier. Apparently someone made some exploding paste (that they saw on Brainac) so the bomb squad did a controlled explosion of it in the car park. The person who made it was also arrested.

Good grief :shock:

Went to garden centre today to get a large net for catching chucks which dont want to be caught (my rugby tackling days are over me thinks). Arrived in the pond section and asked nice young man for a net - " aquarian or pond" he quipped - "neither " says I " for chicken catching" - his face was a picture. Explained prob and duly purchased a lovely big net. I then asked about holiday work for ES who starts GCSEs on Monday. His dad who owns the place came over to chat - at this point the dog a large Dulux type affair wandered over and made a beeline for my crotch ( was in leggings and long hoodie) and yes they were clean and so was I. Ever tried maintaining eye contact whilst trying to fight off amourous mutt- reminds me of my elderly aunt (sadly now deceased) who had golden lab called William who loved a nose up ladies skirts. Goodness knows why :think: