Stella14

Why don't omlet address obvious design faults?

I am shortly going to buy a Cube. This is despite coming to the conclusion that there are two clear design faults on it :( I see from reviews that purchasers have been repeatedly highlighting, over several years, the problems with the ladder. I keep reading about chickens finding the steps too far apart and struggling to get up and down, and this frequently leading to bantams falling through the steps and birds launching themselves off the top, rather than walk down. Its also said again and again that the is slippy and too far off the ground. It seems that when they just have the un-extended run, birds are sometimes launching off the top if the ladder only to hit the end of the run :( This sounds positively dangerious and (given the numbers of reviews highlighting it) it is clearly a design fault. In addition, I have read accounts from many owners who have had their cube for a few years, stating a problem with the wheels and a part needing replacing! Again, (given the number of people experiencing the same problem) this is obviously a design fault.

Given that Omlet products are premium priced, I think its shocking that the company don't respond to customer feedback and address these clear faults! It appears they are taking advantage of the liking that potential buyers have for the other aspect of the product and loyalty to their brand! This results in them selling them anyway, so they ignore the problems. Pretty poor practice I think.

Is it just me?

Have you contacted Omlet and asked them if they are reviewing their designs?

I was under the impression that design review was an ongoing process - the original eglu was redesigned to become the classic, modifications have been made to the cube over time. May be it's a work in process - why don't you ask them? :D

I can't say any of my girls have ever had a problem and I do have some tiny Pekins. Maybe when they are old and need Zimmer frames, but so far they all have managed fine. I am not aware of bantams falling through frequently as you state, maybe the cube isn't the house for you, if you are concerned? Have you experienced this problem first hand?

I am very happy with the design of mine and have had years of great use from it, I do prefer it to the Eglu which I have as I like the height of the cube more.

No I haven't had bad experiences (haven't got one yet), but read of many going back years on the Omlet's own Shop page (there are more reviews posted on the green one, than listed for other colours). I have also seen a couple about the wheels on here. Overall I like the design and I will get one, but there does seem to be a high level of negative feedback on these issues. Glad your girls have no problems with the ladder chuckmum6. Fingers croosed then :)

I think you have to bear in mind that people are much more likely to leave a review/rating/post on forums if they are dissatisfied than if they are satisfied. I've had Classics and Cubes for 4 years and also Gos since they came out and have been very happy with them , but haven't left a review at all. Maybe I should! I've had teeny sablepoots/pekins right up to Brahma in cube and have never had a problem.

I'm sure for every complaint there must be many, many more positive experiences or Omlet would have revised the design long ago.

I think you make a fair point. I still think the Omlet products are excellent but when reviewing feedback, you'd think the repeated negative complaints, as well as the positive comments, would be taken on board.

I love my Go and I am very pleased I chose Omlet. But do you know what would have saved me soooo much back ache when I had it with the attached run? Some device which would release/unclip the run from the house so that I could shovel out and replace woodchip and clean the swivelling door. Instead the Eglu and run had to be lifted (v heavy!!) and cleaning the door was nearly impossible.

But Omlet products are still amazing - so not having a go!

I think there are some obvious design things that make us scratch our heads, the design of the cube ladder and slippery steps is one that crops up a lot. others are there for reasons we may not be fully aware of for example the distance of the ladder from the ground is designed to stop rodents getting in to the coop I believe

However there have been a lot of one off freak accidents that were caused by the design but that doesnt necessarily make them faults (birds that have caught feet in the run for example)

I want a plastic coop with foxproof run for 6 chickens. The only one that fits the bill is the Eglu Cube. I decided to bite the £800 price bullet, but had concerns about the ladder, as I want the Cube as a hospital coop, and for ex-batts.

Somebody on my usual forum advised me to come to this forum for people's experiences of the ladder. This post, about Omlet not addressing design faults is the first one I see.

I would be happy if I could pay for an 'optional extra' ladder for small/elderley or poorly chickens. I will post my suggestion to Omlet, to design (perphaps with the help of the British Hen Welfare Trust) an alternative ladder, but I am thinking thre Cube is perhaps not the solution to my problems.

I want a plastic coop with foxproof run for 6 chickens. The only one that fits the bill is the Eglu Cube. I decided to bite the £800 price bullet, but had concerns about the ladder, as I want the Cube as a hospital coop, and for ex-batts.

Somebody on my usual forum advised me to come to this forum for people's experiences of the ladder. This post, about Omlet not addressing design faults is the first one I see.

I would be happy if I could pay for an 'optional extra' ladder for small/elderley or poorly chickens. I will post my suggestion to Omlet, to design (perphaps with the help of the British Hen Welfare Trust) an alternative ladder, but I am thinking thre Cube is perhaps not the solution to my problems.

How about putting something like a mini log at the bottom of the ladder so there's less of a step up? I think Omlet would sell 'ladder extensions' well though!

I've had a cube with bantams in it for 4 or 5 years now (I also have an eglu classic as a a spare) I've never had any problems with any of the bantams getting up or down the ladder and that includes when I had tiny Japanese and ditch bantams. I used to have an old upturned terracotta pot at the bottom of the ladder but none of them used it.

I love the design and as with anything there are points about it which I like more than others, but on the whole I find it a well thought out and executed design.

I agree that although I love my cube I would love to swap the ladder for something safer.Also I would like to see something to plug the hole in the nexting box?!? I have come up with a good alternative but still cant figure out why it's a good idea :roll: It's pretty easy to wash either way, with or without hole.

I have had the same thoughts myself!! But despite my worries I did purchase a cube in jan of this year!!! I had a wooden coop/run first .........and I do love my cube!!!! :D:D:D

The ladder was also my main worry, as I have pekin bantams......those lovely feathered feet!!! Spoke with omlet who really weren't that helpful, which was dissapointing given the hefty price tag of the cube (I also purchased the 3 metre run) Anyway after a bit of searching on google found a simple way to make the ladder safer and it works just fine! There's a picture on here of it in one of my posts.

I do have other niggles......wish list I guess!!!!! Like not being able to close off the nest box (just a sliding door would be great)....with broody pekins this would be SOooo useful!! Also, when I need to get my pekins out to check them over (best done when they're dozy!) it's a 2 person job, because I can't manage the back door and a chicken!!!! A side door like the eggport would be great!!! I'd love it too if the run door could be placed on the side as well as the end, for more options to position the cube in my garden (like on the GO run)

I have an omlet guy coming out to my cube shortly as the door closing mechanisum isn't working well and as they were coming anyway I asked if I could order an extra metre for my run (had been toying with the idea for a while!!) but they wanted to charge me delivery!!!!! They are coming anyway!!! Only thing they would agree to give me was £10 off. Hubby is not impressed!!! :(

BUT all this said I love my cube and wouldn't part with it!!!!! :dance::dance:

I read LOADS about Omlet products before I bought my Classic (found second hand for £50 just days before I was going to buy a new Go).The same problems kept coming up again and again on forums and reviews (Cube ladder, drainage holes attracting vermin, unclear walk-in run instructions, etc.). These are premium products, which cost huge amounts of money. I would hope that Omlet are taking note and planning to implement changes in future designs.

Lx