Cinnamon

Opticians / Contact Lens schemes

We were with a really nice little local opticians for my eldest daughter,but were tempted by the evil that has proven to be Boots Opticians,by their half price prescription sunnies offer.

We have had no end of problems with them - multiple payments,lenses being sent to the wrong address,plus she is at Uni but the Boots Opticians local to her town refuse point blank to deal with her,as she signed up to the one in her home town,despite us being told at the time that she could use any branch to pick up solutions.

The last appointment she had was with a really rude man who wouldn't answer her questions at all & treated her like a child (she is 19)

The final straw came today when she went in to collect solutions at our branch,to be told that she didn't need any as we had picked them up last month. We hadn't.

So,does anyone have any recommendations for other places: Vision Express,Spec Savers & so forth?

Both my offspring have contracts for contacts from Specsaver and we haven't had any particular problems with them Don't know how they compare pricewise though...I have a feeling Vision Express were quite pricey when we wanted to buy some lenses from them but that is going back a bit.

I'm just going through the process of trialling contact lenses at Specsavers. I've had the initial appointment and have just had a text message to say my (free) trial contacts are ready to be picked up. They would have sent me home with some straight away apart from I have an odd shaped eyeball ( :roll: ) so they didn't have any in stock.I have had glasses from them for a few years and have found the staff to be friendly and professional although the store gets very busy which can be annoying! They have a deal at the moment for free/reduced priced pair of specs when you sign up to direct debit on contacts. Not sure how the overall price compares to elsewhere though.

Sorry, can't recommend anywhere. I have always used 'individual' opticians, after one foray into the world of chain opticians stores - I found that the staff were constantly changing so you didn't see the same person every time. I prefer the local place, when I go back in a couple of weeks the person I see will be the one who saw me and wrote the notes last time, and if I ring up with a problem they will fit me in.

I always used independent opticians until I moved here and decided to give a chain opticians a go. The prices in the independent shop I had been with for a few years was so expensive by comparison and I just couldn't afford it any longer. If it had been just a few quid I would have stayed with them but it was an awful lot more. They didn't have such a wide range of specs either.

Sorry - edited to add that I agree it was nice to have consistency in the staff though in the independent store.

I just rang Boots head office & complained about the service we have had and they have suggested that we change branches,which is fine, and have also given us a great deal of 3 months free,saving us over £80.

They said just to phone up the Henley branch & transfer automatically,which would have been fine,but when I called the branch,they refused to do it without ending the scheme & restarting it again, in which case the payment breaks wouldn't work.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!