groovydad

Does this sound a little dodgy to you? * Updated - it wasn't

I recently had to rehome my noisy Brahma because she was doing ours and the neighbours heads in with her noise (she loved the sound of her own voice) and I thought i'd get a couple of warrens because i always used to keep them and they're pretty great. So I looked through all the usual channels and on preloved (yes i know) i found an advert for warrens right near me in West Kirby. Upon enquiries, i got the following reply, which to me seems a little odd and questionable from a bio-security and animal welfare pov, that married with ridiculous boasts and questionable english...have a read and see what you think.

R***********

West Kirby, Wirral, UK

Hi *****,

Unfortunately I have sold all hens I had, but next hens will be delivered in 3-5 days. If you can wait until then, you will be buying the best hens that could be found in the country, healthy and best layers. I accept returns and refund the full amount, thats how much I trust my birds.

Speak soon

Received: Yesterday at 02:12 PM

R***********

West Kirby, Wirral, UK

Hi there ****, I have spoken to farm, my hens will be delivered by tomorrow evening, so you are more then welcome to select your two the next day.

Speak soon

Received: Yesterday at 07:11 PM

groovydad

Hi,

What is your setup? Are you rescuing barn chickens or something?

Sent: Yesterday at 07:45 PM

R******

West Kirby, Wirral, UK

No my chickens are not rescued ones. They are very young healthy birds. I search for best suppliers and get them to deliver to my place and sell them. You have nothing to worry about, I couldn't find better hens then this ones, and you wont be able to find too :) you will love how healthy and great layers this girls are. You can come after work if you want. Anytime until 8 in the evening is good with me.

Received: Yesterday at 08:39 PM

R*******

West Kirby, Wirral, UK

You get to pick the two hens you like...

Sounds very dodgy to me but thats only based on gut feeling. Any idea how long they've been trading and where they purchase their hens from?

See if anyone local to you has any opinion.

Wow! I stand corrected. You learn something new every day.

Edited by Guest

Sounds normal to me. Most suppliers of warrens import them en masse from europe. In fact most of our well known hybrids are imported.

Thanks, didn't realise all our warrens were imported en-masse,.

My concern was that this person seems to have chickens coming through every week to be shipped out to other people and replaced by more. That amount of chickens coming and going on a weekly basis seemed to be a little shaky on bio-security grounds but thanks for clearing the supply issue up, I feel better about the whole thing now.

Thats OK - I think we all tend to think of our chickens as being bred by the people we buy from, but sadly it isn't the case with hybrids. They are bred in the Czech Republic or Poland in their millions, vaccinated and shipped out to supply the commercial egg producers and to smaller suppliers for the domestic market. There are a few breeds that are produced here - the Black Rock is one and I think some of the blue egg layers.

When we got our girls from Merrydale I was quite shocked to find that they regularly got deliveries of new chooks, when told if you wait for a couple of weeks we will have some more in was a bit of a surprise but they explained that that was how the hybrid side of things worked.

Good luck with your new girls.

Chrissie

I personally don't entirely trust this supplier - it is reminiscient of some guy in Africa in boiler house share dealing or purporting to inform you that you have just inherited some money and you just need to send £50 administration fee. I think it is the bad english and the gushing praise of his stock. Nothing is ever that good.

Your supplier needs to have a proper address and telephone contact number. Look up the name of his firm on the Inland Revenue site to see if he has submitted annual accounts. Ask around to see if anyone has bought stock off him and even drive over to his set-up and have a sneeky look. If you do decide to buy from him then leave your carrier in the car while you have a proper look at where the main body of hens are kept. Follow your instinct and be prepared to make some excuse and walk away if you are not happy with the health and welbeing of the hens.

Mind you it could be that I am just a suspicious so-and-so and ultra cautious but it doesn't hurt to check things out and follow your own instinctive feeling.

I'd feel ok to buy from them - even if their spelling is a bit hmm. They could be a busy person & none brilliantly computer literate. Plus let's face it, we have all typed in a rush & put i instead of e or such like.

A lot of places that sell hybrids - have a massive delivery every so often. That's just how it works.

I'd be more worried about when I went to see them. Things like their how they are kept & cleanliness. I'd also make sure the chickens were bright & alert. A busy pecking chicken is a good sign!

Good luck!

Emma.x

So glad you like your chickens.

I was surprised when I found out that hybrids are not bred in cozy farm set ups (silly, I know :oops: ) but are shipped out regularly on a massive scale to intermediaries. The 'intermidiary' I happened to be talking to used to breed their own rare breeds but found that the sale of hybrids is a lot more lucrative. He said 'we can't get enough of them at the moment, they are going like hot cakes'. I guess Omleteers are just the tip of the ice berg in terms of chicken homes. :think: