BuryFCA1

Flies Flies Flies

Having had our girls for 6 months now I have noticed over the past week the constant presence of flies a lot. Regardless of how much I clean up and how throroughly I do it I seem to have this presence of flies that I have not noticed before.

Am I doing something wrong and is it a big concern?

And how can I repel them or get rid of them without distressing the girls?

Hi

When my girls go to bed I sprinkle Biodry or StalosanF around the run as it dries out any poops and it seems to help. I am not being troubled with flies this year so much.

I can second the redtop fly trap, the are good but they do need to be placed away from your house. I also find they attract everyone elses flies into your garden.

One year I had so many flies I had two redtops on the go and it didnt help. I was worried about the neighbours being cross with me and thinking it was my chickens but then I found out one of them had a dead syrupy fox in their garden and it was creating a stink and fly problem. And there was ME worrying. :doh:

Get hold of some Stalosan if you haven't done so already, i shake a bit around every week to keep everything nice and fresh.

Also, a good trick I think someone else on here suggested, soak a teracotta pot in citronella oil (i used tea tree and lavendar too but only because I love the smell), and leave it over turned in the run. When the sun comes out, which is generally when the flies appear, it will release the smell and repel the flies (and leave your garden smelling glorious!).

Best trick EVER :clap::dance:

Hi, just wanted to add that I buy something called "Cousin Jack" to use in the run and nest box, its eucalyptus scented and I've not had a problem with flies. I buy it at Cornwall Farmers, not sure if its available nationally. Good luck sorting it out.

Ooh does tea tree work well? I have some of that but not citronella as yet. Do i just sprinkle or add water and mist? And d the chickens mind? :) I'm fed up flies and I've only had the chickens a week! Xxx

I don't know if tea tree alone would work as well as with citronella but both have fly repellant properties so i don't see why not... i hadn't thought of eucalyptus but I might add some of that into the mix!

You have to douse it in quite alot so that it all soaks right into the teracotta, otherwise it will just wash off in the rain. Or I guess you could dilute it with some cooking / baby oil and spray a bit on in the mornings? I poured a whole bottle (the little ones!) of each into a tray and left the pot (chimney pot in my case) upside down in it for about half an hour before removing it & covering with cling foil whilst it soaked in & dried... Perhaps a whole bottle was rather excessive because it's REALLY strong some days but it definitely works, i put the left over oil in a jar for next time.

Hope all this waffle helps, I do go on :roll:

PS The chooks don't mind it at all, in fact the chimney pot it their favourite spot to sit on which can only be a good thing when it comes to mites etc :dance:

If you have somewhere to hang it out of reach of the chooks, then hanging a cloth soaked in citronella oil can also be quite effective I believe.

We only got a WIR a couple of months ago, and was thinking of doing this and hanging from top of run. But not had much decent weather so no fly problem for us yet! Every cloud has a silver lining I guess...