patsylabrador

Hills - fitness

I wondered if anyone has any ideas. I'm average fitness and can walk or cycle along on the flat at a good pace for miles with no problems. But uphill has become a nightmare. My legs, back, arms etc are fine but I get short of breath quickly and my lungs hurt. My throat gets clogged up and I get desperate for a sip of water. I end up panting very hard. It's odd as it's only happened over last year or so and I've tried to work on my health. We do have asthma in the family but I've never been aware of it in myself before and don't know if that's what asthma feels like.

I would get checked out by a doctor before you go any further. You may be pushing yourself too hard up the hills and focussing on your breathing too much. As soon as you try and regulate your breathing rather than leaving your body to do it it all goes pear-shaped. I would definitely get a quick health check though to make sure you don't have issues.

My throat gets clogged up and I get desperate for a sip of water

I agree you should get checked over, but are you drinking enough water.....It is very important to drink before, during and after exercise.....Your whole body needs fluids to function properly during any kind of training...

My husband has severe asthma and exercise is the best thing for him.

I hope you can get to the bottom of it.

It may well be asthma - I am an asthmatic and this happens to me too. However, in my case it is also bound up with a lack of fitness but really it is to do with pushing myself too hard and causing myself a 'panic attack' (I'm not sure its one medically speaking, but I go bright red and can't breathe, panic coz I can't breathe, and have to stop, get off bike, bend over, deep breaths and calm down). I used to get something similar when I was a child and very fit, and then years ago it would happen when I'd go out with OH on bikes and try to keep up with him. Now I can't keep up as he is much fitter and keener than me, and so I have evolved a way of dealing with it. Like you I can go for miles on the flat, so when a hill is involved I say to him - meet you at the top, then I pedal on at my own pace. But the key thing is - I get off if I feel it is all getting out of hand, and walk up. I am old enough now not to care what anybody else thinks, this works for me (I used to cycle with a club, and you wouldn't walk up anything). I have very poor lung function but I have always loved cycling and this is my way of dealing with it. My OH is lovely and encouraging and thrilled to bits that I go out and share his hobby so he understands and never minds waiting :D

That sounds just how my asthma started at the ripe old age of 30 something. Definitely get yourself to the doctor for diagnosis and treatment. Mine has been easy to control with just a puff or two from an inhaler each day, occasionally more if I get a cold or take very strenuous exercise. I rarely give it a second though now and am fitter than I've been for years. There is life after diagnosis!

Good luck and please don't be frightened by the diagnosis, if that's what you get. It's a bit of a shocker initially but apart from a puff each morning, it doesn't have to be life changing. The only time I'm really conscious of mine is when I get a cold because it's likely to end up on my chest. Other than that, no-one would ever know. :)

Indeed. Mine was also late onset, and luckily is very mild - its only quite recently that I've been given a preventative inhaler rather than just relying on the 'blue inhaler' which deals with an attack. You get to recognise your triggers and try to minimise exposure to them and perhaps take a bit more notice/care of yourself than you might normally. Day to day life is not compromised at all :D In fact, I've just realised - I don't even take my inhaler when I go out for a ride :lol:

Well, the Doc didn't agree with our diagnosis. Have lots of tests coming up which I guess will prove inconclusive. I'm not worried, I'm very sanguine about this sort of thing. Grateful to NHS for checking me out. She was a nice and thorough doctor, although possibly only 14 yrs old.

Did the sensible thing after appt and went to Cafe Rouge for breakfast and coffee.