LovelyJubley

If you could choose all over again....

....Which model of Eglu would you pick as your very first hen house?

I thought of posting this in the Eglu/Housing section, but there's more traffic here.

I can't decide, I can't decide. :(

Love my cube, but looking out for a second hand classic to complete the set! I would have had purple but had enough problems convincing OH it wouldn't look like a playhouse so green it is. Maybe I can get a purple classic! (purple eglu)

Purple classic for me too! They didn't do purple when I had mine, but rather annoyingly brought out a lovely lilac just after I had purchased :(

I have a lilac cube :dance:

And if I was buying again would definitely choose another one - but maybe yellow :D

Def the cube in purple - oh yes, that's what I've got!

Got that because the run is large enough when extended once for me to feel happy about leaving them in there for the odd long weekend with someone coming in to collect the eggs.

Would really like a WIR now to complete the set up.

Just found the classic run too small, as I can only extend once as it is set up at the moment. And I found bending down to collect eggs and clean was not good for my already dodgy back, whereas the cube is perfect as no bending required!

Well I've gone from a (purple eglu) to a (cube purple) and back to a (purple eglu) but if I was starting out at the beginning and knew then what I know now, I would have invested in a walk-in run much sooner. What you have in it, or attached to it, is almost less important than the size of the run, and the WIR is what transformed henkeeping for me from hard work to pleasure.

edited: sorry, I missed the last four words off when posting this earlier!

I'd buy a classic again. Although I have a cube I prefer my smaller houses, I'm not entirely sure why, I think its because I feel closer to the birds. I can't easily get at everyone in the cube without taking the roof off which is a bit of a performance. My wooden houses unhinge at the back for easy access.

I can't easily get at everyone in the cube without taking the roof off which is a bit of a performance.

I found it impossible even with a step stool to reachthe bantams when they were young so trained them to hop onto a stick. I then "airlifted" them over their mates until I could put them back down at the back of the coop. :lol::lol:

Luckily, now they are older and wider (and taller) they are mostly within reach and are less likely to shuffle away when I slide the roof back.

I am so glad I went straight for a second hand (cube green) even if the price was a bit eye watering at the time. They got a run extension for Xmas which I can get inside (useful as Rhoda is too busy to lay her egg in the nest box) :wall:

if I was starting out at the beginning and knew then what I know now, I would have invested in a walk-in run much sooner. What you have in it, or attached to it, is almost less important than the size of the run, and the WIR is what transformed henkeeping for me from hard work to pleasure.

I couldn't agree more. Life would've been so much easier if I'd have had my WIR from the beginning. I don't think I would have had the bullying issues I had at the beginning either and I don't miss poo picking in my old omlet run!

We decided on a cube over the classic (even though we couldn't really afford it) because I knew I'd develop morehens very quickly. I'm so glad we did! :D

Cube most definately!! I have been through several wooden houses over the past four years and a classic which I loved but really needed more room for a few more :lol: I bought the green but was tempted by the purple and would've loved the blue if they still did it!! :D

Most definitely the green cube with 3 metre run......which I now have!! :D:lol: Worth every penny! Just wish I'd gotten it first and not faffed about with a silly small wooden one!(which ended up at the dump after just a year!)

Naughtily now also have a purple classic!! :oops:(secondhand) Waiting for some bantam araucana's (after intros for Tilly and Polly!) if I can ever get my hands on some!!! :roll::wink:

I started with a (green eglu) , then got a second (purple eglu) , then (as you do) a (cube purple), so sold my (green eglu) .

Love the cube, it's the best chicken house by far IMHO. So easy to clean and space for loads of chickens. :D

WIR and pink cube with purple Grub / Glug - or maybe the other way round. :think: I have a wooden house but if I ever get red mite then a cube it'll be. I really like the fact that it is so easy to clean and is off the ground for humans with bad backs. I'd then also get some big chooks.

Started with a Go, then extended the run, then the green cube also with extended run. If I could start again it would definitely be the cube with the omlet WIR, just makes everything so much easier, especially with the terrible weather they have a large dry area which is easy to poo pick, no more bad backs! But then I didn't know at the time how addicted I would get to chicken keeping!

I'd still go for a green (green eglu)

Not keen on all those other garish colours, they hardly blend in with the landscape do they :mrgreen:

Maybe have a slightly longer run for those times when our two chooks have to spend longer in there.

Ah thank you for the replies. I didn't mean to leave it so late in returning to the thread, but....Life..Busy..! :)

AAAnnyway. I only asked because I'm dithering between choices. I'd had my sights set on the Cube ater reading numerous posters on threads singing its praises. Since then trying to find one second hand is not happening. Either far too costly, or the distance in travelling to collect makes for difficulty. I digress..

An ad came up for a green Classic for sale, with 2 metre run. £275. Collection from round the corner from me. Since seeing the ad I've started Umm-ing and Ahh-ing over the Classic/Cube.

So I wanted opinions. If you could start over again with the knowledge you have now, which house would you willingly choose. That's it really!

I'd deffo go straight for a Cube, but would try a WIR, I think, started with Classic, then moved on to Cube, but WIR would be wonderful!!!

I started with an classic, then cube, then another classic for intro/separations. I love the classic although mine is on a wooden table attached to a WIR so don't have the bending problem. We wanted whatever would be easier to use/maintain on a daily basis so it doesn't become a chore and I'm pleased with it we seem to add bits and change something every year as needs change. I like the cube but mainly for the size to accommodate more, if the classic could be bigger it would be great but this would be impractical as the top would be too heavy to lift etc. I like the ease of cleaning and drying of the plastic though and wouldn't want to change. I also love the pink, garish or not I think it adds a splash of colour to the garden and I plant bright pink summer bedding plants to add more colour round the garden, the green still looks artificial to me reminds me of the green/purple kids toddler plastic toys we used to have so if its going to stand out I like something to make me smile so pink it is.