redsunset

This morehens disease again

Let battle commence! This spring I am determined to plant shrubs and more trees. At the moment I keep searching the garden as so many hidey holes for the newbies to lay eggs and they must be due any moment! As the greenery hasn't shown, am sure they haven't laid outside as my last yr chooks did. (had broken ankle so it was neighbour who found the nests of 68 eggs in two or three places!!) This year I am on two feet so watching them like a hawk. I did have a nice circular bed coming down my drive which was free draining and dry so dust bath central, and my lupins, agapanthus, bulbs, etc were trashed. Am determined to reclaim that somehow, but will make new dustbaths under trees etc. They are spoilt little madams who are on second huge tub of mealworms to help the intros so once it's empty that's it. Mash and corn and the rest they can forage for. Have planted violas in barrels and pots and so far, so good....... :pray:

Was SO excited to find a teeny tiny wee egg yesterday which means my new chooks are coming into lay. Found another two little uns today so two are just starting. :) Filled a bin liner with moss from my front lawn today which the girls raked out. Whether I will have any grass by June is still up for debate but it's amazing what they unearth. I binned an old stove door they had 'found' buried somewhere, and various other bits (I live in a 100 yr old house, so waiting for them to find a ming vase or suchlike, not likely but one can hope!!) Bedtime remains quite a performance for all of 8 minutes as the original 4 like to throw their weight about and take a while choosing which house they will sleep in? Newbies have to await or duck in here and there (and get chased back out) but in 8 minutes it's all over and numbers vary per house on any given night. Can't wait now to see if I get 6 eggs again tomorrow! Then 9 newbies still to lay. I expected them to wait until clocks changed but as it gets light up here earlier than the rest of the uk who knows? Bought extra cherry tomatoes earlier tonight, guess who for.....they love them !eggspeck!!eggspeck!!eggspeck!!eggspeck!!eggspeck!!eggspeck!

So glad your chooks are starting to re-pay in eggs, all the sweet care you give them. Your chooks are also helping you with your gardening by giving you a load of moss to line any hanging baskets . . . just so you can have a few flowers come summertime :wink:

I'm not sure about others, but my chickens' laying seems to be affected by the cold as well as the light and with this new freezing snap their egg laying has slowed down somewhat. Only one egg today from 8 hens whereas last week and the week before they were averaging at least 3 :think: That may impact you up north.

Re the eggs, I have found the original 4 have laid every day all winter as they are in their first season and are hybrids. We also have had a very mild winter with no snow so maybe that helped? Plenty ground frosts but sunny days for the last month and hardly a drop of rain which makes a very nice change for us. No doubt they will tail of next winter as they will have their first moult due around then but then the new ones which number 11 should take over.

Never even thought of the moss for my baskets so thanks for that. Any flowers not in pots will be in baskets this yr as boy can they scratch! I will miss planting any perennial flowers but that's the price you pay for giving them the whole garden to themselves. I don't mind as when I look out my kitchen window it's lovely to see them sunbathing in nooks and crannies here and there. Water was frozen today so removed all the ice discs before I went to work. They are now up at 6.05 am and in bed at 6.15pm on the dot. Took 6 eggs in again today and two are still wee but a little bigger. On the plus side no weeding required this year! :)

15 chooks, well it seem's the grass is greener on the other side and unknown to me some have been stalking the neighbours gardens! Have plans to erect a new wooden fence on one side anyway next month, but thought I had plugged all gaps meantime...nope! Just heard tonight that four were in the neighbours garage this afternoon and his lawn/garden are spotless normally! Now I think I may have to reconsider extending the fence + raising the existing one her and there to 8ft so as not to annoy any neighbours. Expensive chooks but as they are pets it will have to be done.http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q514/redsunset6/cd9791b8-a503-4645-bcfe-1c5854230d5d.jpg

It's under and through the fence they go despite my efforts! (bog standard rylock stock fencing) I haven't the heart to clip any wings as they need to be able to flee my wee Tabby when she's honing her stalking skills on them!! No complaints as such yet but starting to erect new fencing as from next month as also need a bit of privacy anyway. Am aiming for picket type but 6ft to 8 ft in parts. On the plus side I took in eight eggs today and one was a wee totty one so another newbie in lay. They love their cherry tomatoes but turned their beaks up today at cooked broccoli for a treat? :roll:

Slight attack of the MH's disease again as came home tonight in pouring rain with two Speckledys in a box? Managed to put one into one of the houses but the other is outside with the big girls for now. Can see me out later to make sure they are all in bed. They both have deformed toes, only ones in the group with it so I had to have them. Guess I'm a sucker for something that is not perfect but after reading up about this can deduce it is a malformation at birth/or deficiency of certain nutrients when young (cannot be reset now at POL). Will not do them any harm as they are able to walk fine and saw them roosting as well. Brings total up to 17 now.........!! Am determined not bring wheelie bin back into use and can see the row of Cornish beach huts extending until I finally realize I either have to move to a farm or stop!! :oops:

My Connie has curled toes. Was told it was generic but could also be brought on by too much humidity when hatched!? Anyway, she is a trooper and manages fine and hers are quite bad. Did give up on the ladder for the cube as she just fell down every day and I have trimmed her nails slightly when they bent round enough to touch her foot.... Congrats on your new girls! :clap:

Thank you for the response and good to know that other's have chooks with same wee deformity. They are just beautiful and both outside and holding their own in the garden (seem to be enthralled by all the green stuff) but keeping my boots on for bedtime as it will not be till 10pm due to the daylight up here. Am prepared to grab and put in a house and close door if need b,e as despite the nice warm weather last wk, it's been chucking it down and windy so don't want them catching cold.If I had more than a quarter acre I would easy have 50 by now!! This MH disease is quite something and no one warned me (was terrified of them as a kid!) :D

And another two speckledys fell into the mob today.....they are very timid right now, and Mrs Bluebelle threw her weight around with much displeasure. Think a third henhouse will be on order to complete the row of beach huts and the 6ft+ picket fence is underway. Might get a few later to um, fill the third one and that will definitely be that, family complete! (a friend has threatenened to send me to hens anonymous)!!!..... :lol::lol:

Well a third one is sort of in the process I think!? Will post a pic once it's all painted to fit into the wee chook town/street/row of beach huts!! Think another 6 chooks would complete the family. Wish I was in an area for more choice but hybrids will be the next ones too as cannot add anything else now to 19 existing ones! The wee speckledys are still being wary of the big girls but coming along nicely. Besides a third house would also give them all so much more room in the long term.....any ruddy excuse! :):whistle:

Oh dear, after 11pm at night and still some hens out! Yes it's still daylight up here but getting slowly dark. One of the speckledys has gone to bed high up in the willows (came down when I went out) but back up in them now. Will not worry as very mild and a nice warm day today. Suppose that's what they do in the wild and will leave her to mix and settle with the gang in due course.Know they are up for the day at 3.16am as saw them last Sat am getting up then as I was on my way to bed......brekkie put out then so I could have a long lie!

No idea regards the egg laying as I take in a dozen or over a day? I know they say chickens need 14 hours of light in a day for good production so my lot are on an overdose! I sure wouldn't like to be getting up at 3.15am and pottering all day with the odd snooze until 11pm at night. Don't know how they do it! :? ......away to check trees for chooks now before I turn in!

Thank you. Seems she picks a different tree every night, could be willow, horse chestnut or conifer? Found two eggs today amongst the bluebells so assume it's the newbies and will lay outside as not been near a hen house yet, so will no doubt continue to lay outside until then. Easter egg hunt every day but had them on my lunch break and very nice they were too! It barely gets dark up here for long just now so hope when the rain comes they know to make for shelter and don't become complete jungle fowl!! :?

Well funnily enough one of mine is painted not dissimilar to one of them, seagrass green with a cream roof, and next one is cream with a seagrass roof! Now a third.......who knows!! Spoilt little madams, who await at my back door twice a day for their seeded bread and go through 4 loaves a week. That's their fav treat along with cherry toms. One is still on the patio table every night, or under it on the bars but as no predators up here quite safe..... :roll: