Chortle Chook

Reading Bantam show

I'm going and am now getting all excited (even though I have promised OH that I won't bring any chooks home with me :liar: ). I am really looking forward to seeing your Thuringians, Parsley as I love those birds. Will you be there both days? When I first joined Omlet Thuringians were on my wish list as they are so pretty. Alas there they have remained :(

I'm thinking I may get an Omlet badge so that people can spot me - short, wild hair :D

Redwing - will you be officiating again?

Edited by Guest

Blimey Chook n Boo, looking at your chook to Omlet tally your seriously underchooked (well looks that way to me :) )

I'm a plumpish 40 year old just growing a bob haircut and newly shellaced nails.

Uuuummmm.......the chook tally is not totally correct :wink: ....and I may be coming home with a set of feathers or 2....actually, the Omlet tally isn't totally correct either :roll:

The (blue eglu) has (white guinea) & (brown guinea) in, so no trying to fill that with feathers thank you

Many thanks for the address, daxigirl. I do hope we meet up - to talk about daxis as well as chooks :D

Parsley I am sorely tempted, especially as I have a broody silkie, but I know I really must not have any more chickens. I've promissed OH that this year I'll only increase the flock if I come upon a buff frizzle. Also I get in such a silly worry about what to do with stray cockerels. I'll just have to come up and admire :D

I am planning to go on Sunday (unfortunately have to work on Saturday :( ). I haven't been before, and have a bad case of morehens, so could someone tell me if there will be hens for sale on Sunday, or will they have all been snapped up on Saturday (am looking for a lavendar araucana and a lemon Sablepoot if possible)?

Last year and the year before I went on the Sunday and there were still plenty of chooks for sale. The difficult thing I find is that usually hens are sold as part of a pair with a cockerel, or a trio with one other hen and a cockerel. Some sellers will split their groups, especially on Sunday if there has been no interest on Saturday, but many will not. :wall:

However even if you don't come away with a chicken or two, it is a wonderful event for looking at the many different breeds of chicken; quite overwhelming in fact. I think there are also some wee ducks e.g. call ducks.

If you are not lucky in your search at the Reading show and are still after a lemon Sablepoot then daxigirl and / or miller30 may be able to help you as I think they may have some hatching soon (hatch)

Do I sense a bit of being in denial about actual quantity of both? Someone wants to come and view my (cube green) I suddenly feel the need to keep it, for just in case, silly I know. Hope to get to meet some Omleteers there (only met Redwing at the National).

Denial? Me?.....it's actually my middle name :wink: ...and not just regarding chooks either :oops:

Be lovely to meet up, given where most of my chook friends live, we're practically neighbours....

I'm looking forward to this show but after accidently buying a pair of call ducks yesterday I think I would be pushing it to buy anything else!

There are often sales pens with just females in but these sell quickly and there are few (if any) single birds or pens with mixed breeds in.

I'd love to be there again this year but I'm meant to be working the Lambing shifts on Friday and Saturday night :(

That, and the fact that it's a 5 hour drive from Aberystwyth! :roll::lol:

I expect lots of photos, especially of the Silkied Serama I always want to come home with! :D

This was a great weekend, my lot picked up a few prize cards and one 'best of breed' special.

I met up with lots of my normal Omlet buddies plus a few other Omlet forum regulars too

A bit of drink was drunk last night but not enough to make me do my signature stealing of balloons (not that the restaurant had any :( )