Chortle Chook

Margaret Thatcher passing

Just heard on the news that Margaret Thatcher has died. It seems like the passing of an era. :shock: Whether one supported her ideas or not (and she really did seem a bit like marmite) she really did influence my generation I feel. What do you remember of that time? I immediately think of unfair taxes, broad shoulders on jumpers, bright colours and a resurgence of being proud to be British.

Love her or hate her (and there seems to be no other emotion available) she was certainly a female icon of her time. We must remember how difficult it was for a woman to be in any position of power then. She would have inspired many girls to reach for the stars. Yes you can achieve anything, look we have a female prime minister.

Very sad for her family. Now is not the time for muck-raking.

For anyone who has seen the stage show Billy Elliott I wonder how they will play the scene from now on where they sing that they hope Margaret Thatcher dies???????

Her death will bring to the surface a huge diversity of emotions, but I hope that overall her memory will be treated with respect. I didn't agree with all that she said and did but I also grew up with her as Prime Minister and she instilled in me a need to be true to myself and to not allow others to bully me into going against that. Growing up during that time also gave me a life long interest in politics and current affairs. R.I.P.

How about that she was an 87 year old, frail lady who had a stroke, and died, following a time of poor health.

She didn't get it all right, but she didn't get it all wrong either.

She was also a mother, and some people were her real friends and will be mourning her.

I like what you said Freddie

I was taught for my last two years of primary school by a teacher who was a Thatcher fan through and through I always remember the day that she had a call to say that Thatcher has stood down she was very emotional.

I think no matter if you loved her or not she certainly had made part of our history and whilst I was not old enough to have a political view about her I do feel she was a remarkable lady

I think no matter if you loved her or not she certainly had made part of our history and whilst I was not old enough to have a political view about her I do feel she was a remarkable lady

I agree.

As a woman, she achieved an awful lot. Whether you agree with what she achieved or not. She seemed to follow her beliefs.

RIP

RIP Mrs Thatcher.

Apparently people in this country are holding street parties to celebrate. That is low.

Under her watch this country was strong and healthy, she was much better than the men who ran it before her and much, much better than any men after her who have wrecked it again.

Apart from a few people cheering her death, my twitter timeline was very respectful with kind comments from people with all political views which was nice.

Apparently people in this country are holding street parties to celebrate. That is low.

I agree, whether you agreed with her politics or not that is low. I do wonder if some of the nasty comments that have been written about her today would have been written about a male politician the writers disagreed with :roll:

I'm neither strongly for or against her. She did some very good things, she did some things that were not. I felt it was past time for her to go when she did. But she proved you could be a woman and succeed in a man's world and demonstrated that you could come from a relatively modest background and (with the benefits of a grammar school education) you could compete against the public school boys.

I felt she was true to her principles (even if I didn't generally agree with them) and that seems to be a rarity in politics today

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook:

Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are in this country. We get to elect our leaders by a democratic vote. There are millions of people in countries all over the world who would love to be 'celebrating' the death of a leader who was democratically elected by the people & was forced to leave when the people had had enough. Democracy is a gift & shouldn't be taken for granted. Just my little rant on today's events!!

Couldn't agree more.

Very well said, I might post a comment with that reminder on my brothers thread on Margaret Thatcher on facebook.

I think it's easy to forget how much prospects changed for women as a result of her election. My boyfriend at the time bought me a brass keyring with 'No. 10' on it and told me he thought I'd be able to achieve anything I wanted to :D For a working class girl from a council estate that was significant.

Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are in this country. We get to elect our leaders by a democratic vote. There are millions of people in countries all over the world who would love to be 'celebrating' the death of a leader who was democratically elected by the people & was forced to leave when the people had had enough. Democracy is a gift & shouldn't be taken for granted. Just my little rant on today's events!!

Agree here too. Though I would have preferred Maggie to have left through a vote and not through her own side's machinations I still think it is good that we can get people out if we don't want them (including Brown). What has always worried me is that Hitler was voted in so democracy was working then. The getting out seems more important than the getting in sometimes. :think: "Power tends to corrupt" as they say and anyone can become / be made a monster.

I can't say i have any worthwhile comments, i grew up in mining territory and my children in steel country.........no coal = lost jobs all around , many areas have not recovered at all.....which makes for The Benifit Sagas the gouvernment are ploying now, So i won't comment. Don't speak evil of the dead.....so mouth shut.

I am totally appalled and saddened at the absolute vitriol on FB and twitter and the fact that some people are having parties to celebrate her death (looking at the pictures of some of these "parties" the people organising them weren't even born during her time in office)

She was not a dictator, taking power by force. She was democratically elected twice and when her party decided that she was on the wrong track she was ousted democratically.

Yes, everyone has the right not to agree with some or all of what she did (we don't live in North Korea). After all that is why we have a multi party political system and we all have the right to vote.

To celebrate her death is utterly shameful and it makes me feel ashamed to be British.

It was rather similar over here when Reagan died. The Right had kind of put him on a pedestal, but the far Left were still taking pot shots at his policies. A friend's husband is a extreme left-winger and he said that "dying and giving us a holiday is the only good thing that he ever did!" I thought that was kind of nasty, but he's always saying stuff like that. I don't know what kind of policies Thatcher had and how they affected those living in England, but she tends to be admired here for standing up to Argentina over the Falklands.

I think its sad that there has been so much vitriol over Margaret Thatcher's passing. I remember when she first won the election, I was at a girls school and we all thought it was fantastic that a woman would finally be prime minister.

When she took over the country had been in the midst of turmoil, strikes left right and centre, no rubbish collections, no power for many days a week etc. Should we be happy when the politicians and union leaders that were responsible for those times die?

I wouldn't want to celebrate anybody dying. :(

Not a fan...at all.....but nevertheless like many others I am very sorry to see the way people are behaving now... I was going to say I think she did what she believed to be right, and always to the best of her ability and acted with what she believed her country's best interests in mind.....but then I thought you could probably say that of Hitler......

Others make a point about how lucky we are to have democratically elected politicians (which is true) but there are problems with our election system (you could put a blue rosette on a donkey here in west sussex and it would still be elected) so I'm sure many people feel they are still not properly represented. Sadly this isn't going to change any time soon.....

I'm afraid I didn't like her as a person, but I wasn't really into politics as a youngster. I just rememebr her as 'Maggie Thatcher, the milk snatcher'. I loved my little bottles of milk at school, so I saw her as a meanie.

Many people say what a powerful woman she was. Some loved her, some absolutely detested her & will. I vaguely remember the big mining thing & wouldn't wish unemployment on anyone. I'm sorry but I see her as not a nice lady at all. I wouldn't wish her dead though.

What others think & do is entirely up to them. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Lets face it, no matter who runs the country - they will always do some good & some bad.

Emma.x