Mrs Frugal

What's in a name.......?

Hello,

What names have you given your hens? I've seen a few on the forum and it's lovely reading them, especially if a reason for chosing the name is given too.

Could we have some more please???

Kate, Jennifer and Clarissa - named after two other fat bottomed girls - the wonderful TV cooks, "Two Fat Ladies".

I'd been wanting a couple of hens for ages, but my other half was not too keen. That was until he saw the eglu at Olympia earlier this year. The thing that really clinched the deal was that I said if we could have them, then I'd let him name them.

So we've now got June and Miss Audrey! Named after the wives of his two favourite country music idols. June(Carter-Cash) was married to Jonny Cash and Miss Audrey was the wife of Hank Williams.

Chooks had just arrived and we were thinking of names for them.

Looking through the TV listings I spotted that the 'Hunchback of Notre Dam' was on the TV and there of course, was the beautiful 'ESMERELDA'. Hubby took one look at the gingernut and said we should call her after another famous ginger nut 'LUCILLE' Ball :!:

I too love reading the names given to the hens.

Val

Just got my two today - gorgeous! Bossy Pepperpot is now called Sybil and organised little gingernut is Polly. Hubby is a devoted Fawlty Towers fan, so he approves.

Only one morning as a chicken-keeper and I love them already!

Anna :D

We acquired our two in June, a Bluebelle and a Pepperpot. I had already chosen the name for mine,the Bluebelle, and called her Tallulah after the chicken in childrens programme Maisie.

Carl waited to see Miss Pepperpot before naming her. I printed out the lists of Top Hundred Girls names for the last five years and he chose Millie.

Without previously knowing their temperaments, Tallulah is dominant, bossy and eats all the food while Millie is much quieter -hmmm. :lol:

Lesley and Carl

Nr.Stratford upon Avon

Ours (a gingernut and a pepperpot) are Ethel and Doris, and were named before they arrived; it was just a matter of looking at them to decide which was which. They were for a while going to be Ethel and Vera, but eventually we decided on the names above.

I'm surprised not to see more Henriettas and Eggwinas, which would have been my choice of names, but which were firmly squashed by the rest of the family...!

My daughters named our hens. Our Pepperpot is Diane after one of the teaching assistants at school who requested that we name a chicken after her!. The Gingernut was :cry: Hazel, as my elder daughter thought it sounded like a farm creature name. 'Was' because she very sadly got 'foxed' (see garden fencing) last weekend. I was heartbroken. We now have another beautiful Pepperpot called Millie.

Karen

Karen,

How sad about Hazel. Hope Millie has a long and happy life.

Thanks again to everyone who has added their hens names to this posting. I look forward to reading them whenever I log on and it brightens a boring day to imagine Ethels, Doris's, Tallulah's, Millie's etc clucking round Britain's gardens.

Super!

All the best,

Kate, Jenny and Clarry

Ours are Petunia and Betty.

Petunia, often now 'tuni for short, came easily as she is basically an aged-aunt type: big and fluffy, paddles about and likes flowers... although 'likes' in this case is likes to eat them.

Betty was much harder. We had a range of names lined up before they arrived: Penelope seemed to go well with Petunia; Ethel and Mildred after my Grandmother's friends; and we disagreed over Henny and Penny.

But our Gingernut was too lively and a bit mad for an old ladies' name. A friend suggested "if she's ginger and mad then how about Lulu?" Our favourite was Smoo cos we ordered the Eglu and chickens from the car park of Smoo cave on the North coast of Scotland while on holiday! But it didn't fit her. Betty seems to suit her perfectly.

David

We have just acquired two more girls to go with Millie and Tallulah, a Speckledy and a Whitestar.

As with Tallulah, I already had a name - Lottie - so at the farm I had to then choose a chicken which looked like a 'Lottie'. She is the speckledy, a lovely grey speckled hen the same size as the Pepperpot.

Carl chose the Whitestar and on the way home we went through names suitable for a white hen and almost settled on Blanche BUT Carl jokingly said 'Mrs White' and that has now stuck!

Mrs White is what I say to him when his hair is all messy (because he never looks in a mirror) and although younger than me, he started going white in his twenties! Mrs White comes from the childrens ditty - "Mrs White, had a fright, in the middle of the night .....etc". I've also taught my grandchildren aged six and four to sing it to him when he looks untidy (he hears this a lot!)

I notice someone has called their chicken 'Alan' and would love to know why! There seem to be quite a few chickens with male names.

lesley and Carl

Nr.Stratford upon Avon

Our two had to wait a while for their names, we just couldn't decide. For a long time they were 'the black one' or 'the ginger one'. Then my daughter named them Betty (Pepperpot) and Wilma (Gingernut) from the Flintstones - Betty has black hair and Wilma's a gingernut!

Best

Pauline, Betty and Wilma

Our first hens already had names when they came, they were in the J hatching from our daughter's (then) poultry farm and were Josephine and Jacquette.

The next pair we named, Alison after the Wife of Bath because she'd had so many, er, husbands. She was almost bare when she came, being very attractive to the cockerels. Her comb was torn and hung sideways in a Chaucerian way. Her companion was black, stout and fussy, she was Eglantine, Chaucer's Prioress.

A tiny Pekin bantie was with us so briefly I can't remember her name. Her successor was a partridge Wyandotte bantie, Purslane, because she'd fly into the herb run and chomp her way through my precious crop.

Then we had Milady, a rather haughty new mother, with her chicks Jubilee (this in Jubilee year) because she had a gold ruff, and Annabelle who was named by a child at the Battle of Bosworth.

Briefly we had Stella, with a white star on her head, and her companion was Fang, a soft grey hen who was as vicious as Hagrid's dog.

All these but Fang were foxed, over the years, except Purslane who was killed by an uncontrolled dog on a site where it shouldn't have been anyway.

We replaced Stella with a black barred Wyandotte bantam and when Fang died this year we bought a Columbian Wyandotte. The black barred is black and white striped, she'd already been dubbed Zen (zebra hen) so the new, ginger one, is Gen (ginger hen). A granddaughter, Jennifer, assumes that the hen bears her name.

We've never named our hens on impulse, we wait to see what their temperaments are like. Stella was a star herself, being bullied by the other hens on the farm - that's why we took her - yet she survived despite that and being club footed. Jubilee had a regal bearing and there's something mystical about Zen.

Naming hens is a lot of fun and I do enjoy reading about others' names. Henrietta and Henny Penny seem, thankfully, to be names which are not as popular with owners as they are with visitors!

Mary

Hi

I'm Janet, and my Eglu and chickens arrived on Wednesday this week so are still settling in.

The children have decided to name them Sage and Onion - Sage is a Pepperpot and Onion a Gingernut. She's a lot smaller and younger than Sage and seem to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

We all fought over who was going to name our hens, and (even though I used to name companies and products for a living) our eldest daughter's choices stuck, and we now have Maggie (black) and Florence (brown). This is because I had explained to the children that the hens were female, and my daughter said the two most famous women she knew of were Margaret Thatcher and Florence Nightingale. Not sure how these two made the top of the list in her mind, but Maggie and Florence have worked out quite well for us, and now we couldn't imagine anything else.

I chose Beryl and Gladys as I felt they wanted those old fashioned names. They are some of my Nanas sisters names. (There were 7 girls so I've got a few names up my sleeve.) I wanted to use my nana's name but thought my mum would object, then she said I should have done! Next time

We already had a water feature called Basil - tall and eccentric. Family are Fawlty Towers fans so Sybil was obvious choice but they didn't like Polly so settled for Pollo which is the word for chicken in Italian and Spanish (I think). Note I had very little to do with naming of MY hens. I wanted to call one Penny because I have always had one of my hens named that but I was out voted. BTW we were going to call the Bluebelle Sybil because of the 'blue rinse' effect but their personalities were immediatly obvious and the names were swapped.

Hi.

Motherhen wanted to know if I had picked names for my chooks and even though I don't have them yet the names have sort of already been picked.

Kate also wanted to know because I said I was going to name them after something my hubby had to move so I could have the space for the chooks.

Okay heres the story....The horrid high winds in october knocked down our five fence panels in the side garden, which was bad enough but one of them landed on the side of the large green house. It's a very old greenhouse, which was in the garden when we bought the house.The panels of glass at the bottom had slowly been coming loose and breaking anyway, so hubby was going to get a new much smaller one to replace it. After showing him the omlet site and constantly telling him how much I loved chickens and how I would look after them and he could eat all the eggs (There will hopefully be to many, so I should get some?!?) He finally said he would take down the old greenhouse were he grows tomateos and herbs and put the new one somewhere else.

So to show him how much I appreciate the sacrifice he has made by giving me the best plot in the garden and how happy I am that I get the chickens I have always wanted, they shall be named after the herbs that he once grow in that cherished garden spot. :D

Sorry it was a long story and probably not very exciting but there you go. :shock:

Sammi-x- :wink: