Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Congratulations! おめでとうございます! (One of the few phrases I've actually managed to remember so I'm going to use it!) 8 grandchildren! I'm so excited about having one! Have you seen her yet? Post a picture if you're allowed. I never thought I'd be a doting grandparent but they do something unexpected to your heart don't they. 

On 9/15/2013 at 1:05 PM, Lavenders_Blue said:

Continues from **Thread of little facts & things **....2

I'm not sure I enjoy doing it that much! :lol: You can send your coat back to Barbour to be re-waxed, it's £30 which might be better than getting a replacement, even on eBay, especially if you like the style of the one you have now. Keeping legs dry is so important, there's nothing worse than sopping wet jeans between the bottom of your coat and top of your wellies :lol:

I'm a cheapskate, which is why I wax it myself :lol:

We always rewax our own coats.  Had one done professionally one and regretted it.  We camp in Devon at a campsite on the top of a hill near Exmoor with it’s own rain cloud.  Lovely seasonal crowd and sense of community that doesn’t exist in the commuter town we call home but dismal weather.  Walked to the bar once in my newly ‘professially’ waxed coat and looked like I was entering the wet t-shirt competition 😳.  Now we buy a quality wash in wax and a spray and double treat our coats 

Found out why my viision is rubbish and doubled a lot of the time, why my balance is often non-existent and why I often look and feel like I’ve had a minor stroke.  It’s something called Myasthenia.  This thing has cost me a degree and a job but I hadn’t heard of it before.  Anyone got it and able to pm me to say what life with it is really like long term?  Not looking for sympathy.  Not that kind of person.  I want to know how to fight and win 😊

7 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

Dull grey morning so I went to Camden Market because it's always busy, noisy and colourful and I needed a bit of that. 

DSC00123-01.jpeg

IMG_20190113_161523.jpg

DSC00078-01.jpeg

DSC00134-01.jpeg

Love Camden Market.  Used to live £4 and less than a hr from London.  Not a huge fan of the city but miss Camden and Southwark markets and the deer in Richmond Park.  We have deer in the forest over the road but in 18 years I’ve only spotted one.

• Like 2

I tend to avoid London on high days and holidays and on hot summer days. The one bit of London that I absolutely loathe is Oxford Street. I try to avoid it. 

I googled Myasthenia and that sounds tough and I can see why you would want support. Did you see there is a support group called Myaware? It looks very good. https://www.myaware.org/  

• Thanks 1

I used to love that bit of London too. I have been back in the country now for 25 years, and wouldn't go back, but live close enough to be able to go down for a visit... train fare is £35 mind!!!

I wax all my own garments too - 2 jackets, waxed cap and waxed chaps. It's a summer job, so I can hang them on the line in the heat and the wax melts into the seams. There's a waterproofing spray which I use to re-proof the non-waxed waterproofs such as the full length raincoat. The chaps are the best thing I ever bought; water- and thorn-proof.

I popped into the travel agent this afternoon after taking YS drumming - prob won't book via them but wanted to get brochures and look at prices. The smartly uniformed TUI rep asked if she could help and I said I was interested in an October half term city break to Palermo. She paused until her colleague called over to her 'Sicily' whereupon she grabbed the City Break brochure, flicked through it and put it back on the shelf. I asked her if Palermo was in the brochure and she said 'no, its only for, like, major cities'.

Not quite sure how much more major you can get than a capital city but, heyho, wouldn't trust TUI to get me to Oxford Station after that!

• Haha 2

Walked past this place the other day. I think it was called a visual library. It was a resource centre for people in the arts. We looked through the windows and I really wanted to go in but I wasn't confident enough. I never remember to check if you can just go in. It had lots of old cupboards with drawers of drawings of fashions and things hanging up and it was like something from a Dickens novel.

DSC00267-01.jpeg

On 1/13/2019 at 11:49 PM, ajm200 said:

Found out why my viision is rubbish and doubled a lot of the time, why my balance is often non-existent and why I often look and feel like I’ve had a minor stroke.  It’s something called Myasthenia.  This thing has cost me a degree and a job but I hadn’t heard of it before.  Anyone got it and able to pm me to say what life with it is really like long term?  Not looking for sympathy.  Not that kind of person.  I want to know how to fight and win 😊

Love Camden Market.  Used to live £4 and less than a hr from London.  Not a huge fan of the city but miss Camden and Southwark markets and the deer in Richmond Park.  We have deer in the forest over the road but in 18 years I’ve only spotted one.

I used to do quite a lot of stage management and theatre lighting stuff (still do the youth theatre every summer) and worked in a place like that for a couple of years painting props and scenery. It's amazing the stuff they have and that gets hired out!
Have friends who work in the West End and I'd love to have a look round some of the big theatres.