Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Useless fact of the day 

Mice can get through a 17mm round hole and shrews through 16.5mm.  

I watched an experiment to find the smallest hole an adult mouse could fit through. YouTube and Insomnia have a lot to answer for. 

That has blown my plans for a rodent-proof run with 1” heavy weldmesh out of the water. Chicken wire may be required too

Edited by ajm200

You can get half inch weldmesh - we have it on our run but boy is it sharp and stabby when you cut it!  Even where we have it on the door and we've bashed it into the wood, there are little bits that catch clothes, skin - even with the bent over double parts!  It's darned difficult to stick bungees on there, but then it's so windy that it has to be cable ties - the best thing since sliced bread!  Not that I'd want to eat them!

• Like 1

Oh dear AJM, we have 1/2 inch wire meld and OH went to close in chickens and little fieldmouse squeezed right through. I asked if he put away food, ah no, he says I feel sorry for them,they must be starving. Also they climb quite high. I’m thinking the person with the greenhouse has the best rodent proof run.

Thanks.  That saves me wasting money 😊

I have the greenhouse but already it is warm in the sun.  I want to take one glass wall out and replace it with weldmesh.  We are also reinstalling auto openers on the roof windows 

Also waiting for it to be moved to be visible from the house before I paint it the roof and back wall with 90% shade paint.

I’m trying to build a run with minimal expense using what we already have as I hate waste 😊

I went to shut the girls in after dark this evening and after I shut the run I peered into the Cube to do a quick head count. 8. That’s not right, there should be 9! Camilla the escape artist campine bantam was nowhere to be seen.

She spends most of the time outside their fenced area because she just flies out (really should clip a wing) and this time I forgot to look out at dusk to make sure she was on the correct side of the fence. 

So with my torch I walked around the garden shouting for her, and after a few minutes I heard a tiny little ‘meep’ and a rustle, and in the pitch black she came stumbling out of the bushes under the kitchen window (she’s laid an egg there before when she’s been out). She sounded so sweet, ‘I’m here, I was shut out, can you help me get to bed I can’t see the way’. 

Silly chicken - good job I checked!

• Like 2

I had that happen with Skye a couple of times - little monkey found a gap in the fence and when I went to shut them in for the night, there she was sitting on the bench under the kitchen window.  2nd time she found a nook in the greenhouse! After finding the gap in the fence (broken wire and I only saw it because I caught her walking through - it resealed itself in appearance after she cleared it) I always did head counts.  

• Like 1

Sorry for such a depressing note but 

Today has been surreal and one of the worst days of my life..  Please, please make sure that you have next of kin details in plain text, in a wallet, purse or your phone case.   We all think that we don’t need to worry about it until we are old whatever that may mean. My brother was found dead yesterday and being modern times all his contact info was locked in his phone. It took over 24hrs to convince officials, miles from home,  that I’m next of kin to get details.  I’m not looking for condolences.  Please take the time to make sure you have these details on your phone or accessible in case the worst happens for the sake of your loved ones x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I am so sorry to hear that - sending strong thoughts your way.

It is SOooo important - I have three ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers on my phone; mainly because my dad is a bit feeble these days, Rosie never answers her blumming phone, and a friend who I know can be relied on when the other two fail. I also wear a Medic Alert bracelet as I am allergic to Morphine, that carries next of kin details on the records at a 24 hour call centre.

May your brother be in peace

• Thanks 1

Today I took some time to go out in the garden to escape relentless calls.  I needed to do something mindless and mundane so I cut up old fence posts just to keep busy.  The chickens followed me about then went to the greenhouse playroom by themselves.  At dusk the big girls went home and the little ones looked lost.  I decided to pick them up to carry back.  (They usually do anything to avoid being carried - think Benny Hill with chickens 🐓 🏃‍♀️). The first hopped straight onto my upturned hand and the other onto my arm. They balanced like that all the way back. Not a normal way I carry chickens.    It’s like they sensed my mood

Edited by ajm200
  • Like 2

Must be an incredibly hard time for you right now ajm.

For those who have an iPhone: create a medical id on your phone. This is info that can be unlocked by anyone at anytime. Add any important medical info and your next of kin who should be called in case of emergency.

• Thanks 1

Very sad news ajm.  My sincere condolences to you and the family.  

I agree - I used to have a list of phone numbers in my driving licence which was carried everywhere - now I have a horrid plastic card.  I thank you for reminding me to make an updated list as my children weren't included on that list and our phone number has changed at home.  Lots of hugs xxx

• Thanks 1

AJM. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Thinking of you.  

Thank you you for sharing, it has made me realise that I only have contacts in my phone which of course in an emergency would be locked. 

Cat tails I will try to find out more about the iPhone medical id . That sounds like a good idea. 

Best wishes AJM