Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Perhaps the plum blossom comes before the cherry?  I don't really know. Monty Don had a programme on Japanese Gardens last Friday, and very instructive it was, I hadn't realised about the importance of space in a garden as well as the planting, and the fact that 'prettiness' didn't seem to count for much.  It was all about seeing things in a different way.  The cherry blossom was out of this world though, beautiful in any language and culture!

On 2/19/2019 at 9:22 AM, soapdragon said:

Just a thought, Lewis, but might it be worth contacting your favoured practice and perhaps see if you can visit, have a chat or get more info? If you butter them up and say that you felt particularly drawn to them then that might just put you a little ahead and make you stand out (just that bit more!) when it comes to their shortlisting!? It seems that it is all about 'putting yourself out there' these days ;) Sending positive vibes your way!

With grad programmes you apply centrally to head office who then match you with a practice (I want a busy practice with lots of surgery in Birmingham, my friend wants a quiet rural practice with lots of support etc) so I've written a specific cover letter to the practice but because I study abroad I can't just pop in. The plan is to arrange interview for when I'm next home and arrange to spend a day working with the team, if anyone likes my application :lol: 

On 2/19/2019 at 10:32 PM, Daphne said:

Perhaps the plum blossom comes before the cherry?  I don't really know. Monty Don had a programme on Japanese Gardens last Friday, and very instructive it was, I hadn't realised about the importance of space in a garden as well as the planting, and the fact that 'prettiness' didn't seem to count for much.  It was all about seeing things in a different way.  The cherry blossom was out of this world though, beautiful in any language and culture!

The cherry tree is called Sakura. I don't know if that's Japanese for cherry or if it's a particular type of cherry tree. The fun thing is that you can buy sakura flavoured food. Ice cream, kitkats, mochi 🍡. Starbucks do a sakura drink in the spring time. I quite like mochi but there is a particularly thick type made in New Year that old people choke on and some even die! It's very pretty though and comes in cute animal face shapes. 

-------------------------------------------------------------I snapped this very quickly in a car park yesterday and I didn't want to irritate people trying to get round so it's not very clear. It's a small white heron type bird. I thought it might be an egret. What do you think? 

IMG_20190221_161322-01.jpeg

Edited by patsylabrador

I have never seen an egret up a tree, only on the ground, so that's a great shot.

Yesterday we took tea with 2 Japanese ladies; we had green tea to start with, and then Japanese black tea.  I should have asked them about the cherry blossom but I forgot.  My OH and I were given the china cups with saucers, whilst everyone else had a mug.  We were also treated to cake made by one of the ladies under the guidance of an older Portugeuse lady.  After being civilised for 30 minutes (we taught them to extend the little finger whilst drinking!) we then all gave up and spent the next 30 minutes drinking home made red wine and aquadente (grappa by another name)!

Today, in the middle of nowhere where we live, there was the annual car rally, so 4 hours of very loud car engines (classic cars) and bits of tape to keep us safely off the road.  

Do any of you have a chicken that prefers to perch on you rather than be cuddled? Noticed during the snow that the littlest two liked to be carried together and would perch on my hand holding my fingers. 

The last twice that hubby caught our grey one and handed it to me for cuddles, it had wriggled off my lap and perched on my arm.   Today it ended up in my shoulder like a parrot.  Wanted a photo but neither of us had a phone on us as we’d been gardening 

Lol ajm - seems to be a pekin thing.  Skye loved nothing more than climbing up.  If you didn't have your wits about you she'd be on your head!  I think they like to see around from up high.  On your arm they have a better view than cuddled close.  Although I have lovely memories of sitting on the swing chair with her and she'd snooze on my chest.  Then when she woke up and I'd be smiling she'd try and peck my teeth!  Ewww!

• Haha 1