Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

4 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Just found this critter in my garden - an Elephant Hawk Moth larva - big b*gger, which reared its head up when I walked past - chickens enjoyed it!

20190811_075949.jpg

Many years ago we had the big green ones - boy did they rear up = they were on the willow trees and stripped them bare.   Did not have the girls then and they presumably ended up as moths.  They looked so scary.

Years ago my cat looked like she'd done something on the carpet - mummmm Paddy did a poo!  But it wasn't - it was an elephant hawkmoth caterpillar and it was unharmed!  Then she brought in 4 more and dumped them right in the middle of the carpet.  We didn't know where she was getting them, but eventually discovered they like eating fuchsia leaves.  They make beautiful green and pink moths!

On 7/21/2019 at 2:16 PM, patsylabrador said:

It's a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-HX60. There are lots of useful technical videos on YouTube. I'm not sure how it works but it has an internal WiFi so that as long as you can can get a signal you can load your photos on to your phone to use straight away. 

Well, I got myself a new toy yesterday and this is one of the first shots I did 

So thank you patsylabrador for showing us some great pictures in the first place.

I used my gift voucher that the parents of my class gave me for the end of term and quite a bit of extra money to get my new camera.

Very happy with it so far.

DSCN0011.JPG

• Like 2

Some brilliant photos there! 😎

I have had pain in my foot for the past few weeks, which has got worse in the past few days. Thought I best make an appointment to see my GP. I phoned up this morning (I was expecting a three week wait) and got an appointment within the hour! Turns out I have plantar fasciitis. The doctor gave me some stretches to do and (because I walk a lot for work) a referral to a physiotherapist! 

I have had some large moths flying around in my house lately. Not sure if they just fly in at night, or are hatching somewhere, but they definitely keep the cats busy. I keep waking up in the middle of the night by one or two cats that are busy chasing one... iPoes has already eaten at least 4 of the large bugs, with a lot of crunching... 🤢

So yesterday I found another moth and decided to put it outside to safe it from the chompers of iPoes. Caught it with a big glass and then let it out into the garden. Only for the moth to fly into the chicken run... and be snatched up and eaten by a chicken... 😒

Some days you can’t win.

• Haha 1

We bought a fly zapper for the kitchen.  Not had too many problems with flies but the odd one or two are annoying.  Especially those stable flies.  I saw one on the back of the chair once and I played with it - like poke this side, that side and the blooming thing squared up to me each time (well, my fingers) - I swear it was calculating when it could strike!  Not had horseflies indoors yet - they usually find me outside unless I have my repellent on!  The zapper makes me jump - it has a snapping sound and I keep thinking whip crack away whip crack away la la la la!  Yesterday I was outside while we actually had a good, sunny day, and when I came indoors there was carnage!  I hadn't even noticed them!  Unless they sneaked in.  So well happy with it.  Apart from the sudden snapbangarghh!  Even did a wasp the other day.  Unfortunately it makes the same noise even for the diddy flies.  

I have one of those zapping tennis rackets. Very satisfying to get an annoying fly out of the way!

Still have pheromone fly traps outside too. But not the original Red Tops anymore, because I hated removing them when full. And the flies would make more flies inside the trap before it was actually “full”. But I found the same pheromone stuff in a bottle. Bought two of those caps you can stick on a plastic bottle to turn it into a wasp catcher. Just add some of the pheromone powder to an old water bottle, add some water and stick it into the cap and hang it up! And when I need to remove it, I can just screw the bottle cap back on and toss the thing in the trash!

• Like 1

Yuk bluebottles.  I am quite surprised that we haven't had more flies, considering the dairy farm at the back and sheep all around!  Relieved really.  When we were on holiday years ago in Croyde, the flies were terrible!  

I think if I had a hand zapper (well, we did once but it didn't work very well) - nowadays with aching muscles after doing silly things around here - like using the oversized hedge trimmer, and him with a frozen shoulder, I think the plug in version is less painful!  I am annoyed that I read the instructions for cleaning to OH though - he never reads the instructions for anything - twit!  It said to use one of those screwdrivers to earth it first to clear the static.  Dang - it could have been a right laugh for me!

• Haha 1

We bought a rechargeable electric uv fly zapper from lidl but we’ve not caught any yet but there haven’t been many around with the rain over the past couple of weeks.

Both if us had plantar fasciitis about 10 years ago and wearing well fitting shoes with good arch support really helps. Not had it since. I wore Sketchers trainers a lot for quite a while afterwards they were good for walking.