Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

On 11/2/2019 at 1:19 PM, soapdragon said:

A very big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Luvachicken! Hope you are having a great day and being spoiled rotten esp as it's a 'milestone' one....welcome to the club!

Oh that's what came up when I sent you a PM earlier so my fault entirely.......it just happened that I sent it on what Omlet was telling me was your birthday :oops: so wanted to wish you a great day!

• Like 1

Well my friend had her birthday yesterday, but we posted the card on Friday.  I did text her to say I had remembered but the post might be late as collection round here is whenever the postie arrives!  But she said she got it on Friday!  Well I'm sure it didn't fly that fast - I didn't throw it in the air for the silly winds to carry it!  Very strange!

2 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Are you the queen with two birthdays?

I could be 😊

Happy to accept any wishes for any occasion xx

It was funny because just about a week before my actual birthday my friend sent me a WhatsApp message to say happy birthday. I told her it wasn't my birthday yet and when it was. Then she questioned me like I didn't know when it was my birthday and she thought I was wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Haha 1

A wasted day yesterday because we went to Taunton, I had to take my car in to have the tow bar sorted - the electrics don't allow the plugs from the trailers, so OH came too and went into town.  I suppose it wasn't entirely wasted as we found a kitchen shop and liked the stuff there - brought brochures home.  I foresee issues there - modern minimalist versus country charm.  Guess which way round that is?  Found a couple of nice cafes to eat in.  Car needed 2 new tyres and brake discs (strange since they were nigh on perfect at the full service in March - when that was the last free one - methinks they told porkies to make it last till March 2020 so they can add it to the MOT charges!  Tow bar is completely wrong for electrics so new towbar needed.  For goodness sake - Farnham stuck on a towbar from goodness knows where!  You'd think they would have got that right! So they will have to order that in!  Better be the correct one and guess who has to pay for it!!!!   But they did valet the car for free considering the expense.  Now seeing as it went in for the reverse light and the tow bar - neither of which were done, it was rather frustrating to say the least!

I might have words with Mitsubishi HO!

Oh it is a super vehicle.  I love it to bits - it's just the stupidity of the sales people in the first place (or shiftiness) and possibly less than the truth when it went for a service.  Not the first time that's happened and then it was a Ford, but I wonder if I was a fellow, then maybe it would be a different story - Volvo - MOT and got the runaround - told them that it sounded off.  They said nothing wrong - took it to a different place and they found that first place did something back to front - result was nice smooth engine sound and much more economical with an efficient engine! 

On the other hand Geronimo's all set and safe to drive with the tyres and all that - peace of mind really for me.  But it might be down to driving on uneven roads, speeding up (if I get into 4th gear that's exciting to hit a speed above 20mph) and braking for bends or another vehicle taking up all the road in the opposite direction especially if it's racing towards me faster than I'm travelling!  It's a comfy vehicle and he does cruise really well.  The uneven pressure on the tyres is probably down to our driveway that slopes to one side - it isn't on the flat so it's like parking on a kerb!

LOL!  So many potholes - seems more in Somerset though!  The Highways Agency have said that if a pothole exceeds 2 x 20p bits on top of each other - on edge - then they will fill the potholes.  Some bright spark in the next village has been going round balancing 20ps and reporting every single one!  And as they've been reported, the Agency has agreed to do the job.  Hope it isn't concrete like further up the road - that sticks up above the level of the road!  One big lumpy splat!  :lol:

Oh how I miss the potholes of Devon, not. I bought my cars over from the UK and due to driving on the opposite side of the road the tyres tend to wear more than in the UK, my brother explained that the RHD cars are set up for the opposite camber on the road and this is why. Guess I will have to live with it as second hand and new cars here are so very expensive, I saw a 2005 Clio advertised and it was nearly €5000.

Made a new friend over the weekend ... rescued this baby from the middle of the road and took him/her to the safety of the garden and laid on a feast of hedgehog food that was instantly devoured. I think home is now under our garden shelves as have put out several lots of hoggy food over the last few days and most of it is being eaten. And I can hear rustlings coming from under the shelves too!

P1070624.JPG

P1070628.JPG

• Like 3

Meant to add and left it too late......I did wonder about the wisdom of relocating Hoggy but he/she was on the busy road through the village. We have always had a few hedgehogs in our garden and make sure that we keep hoggy friendly places for them (a pile of logs, stack of flowerpots behind the shed, etc) and usually have at least two overwintering with us. Our garden is secure and there is always plenty of hoggy specific food....it's lovely hearing them rustling and bimbling around in the early evening.

Have just been out to put some more food out for Hoggy  - it's been disappearing as has the water and I've been desperately hoping it was my little friend rather than RATS! There he/she was! Munching away and, looking at the photos above, I think Hoggy has got bigger and put some weight on. So pleased! 

• Like 3

They need to reach a certain weight to survive Winter but I can't remember the figure. We had one fall down the cellar steps and couldn't get back up. After removing the 'fly-strike' eggs he was far too small, so he over-Wintered in a box and run arrangement in a spare bedroom (they do wake up occasionally to feed and drink). In Spring he was released into our garden where he feasted on snails. We got plenty of good advice from the local hedgehog rescue centre.

I am kicking myself for not weighing him/her when I first took him in! I'd say hoggy was a fair size now compared with other hoggys that we have seen in the garden but still obviously a youngster. We do put out food through the winter and keep an eye on what is going and how much so I know that they do bimble out to eat from time to time. I will do some Googling and look at the Tiggywinkles site.

Just dug out our (very) old records which has pictures of Henry and Harry in it; they both lived in the garden and were very tame. The figure I was given for weight was a minimum of 600 grammes as any less and they are unlikely to survive anything but a very mild Winter. I remember now finding a tiny Harry mid-Winter hibernating under a wet and frozen pile of leaves, so he came in as well. You should be able to pick him/her up Soapdragon, as when threatened they just curl up and then can be put onto scales.