Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Has anyone been watching The Name of the Rose on Fridays? If so then I need help with the plot! Can anyone tell me who Anna is? Is she something to do with Dolcino? She keeps featuring and is obviously significant or going to be but I can't understand why :$. I did try and read the book ages ago but its one of only 2 that I have ever given up on! Still another 3 episodes to go :doh:I can't give up again!

13 hours ago, Blackrocksrock said:

Stunning scenery but looks a tad chilly and I am sure they are used to it better than we are.   Will they make it here for Christmas?

We all got together at the end of Oct and had a great time. There's no Christmas Holiday in Japan although they enjoy celebrating with lights and so on. KFC is a big treat on Christmas Day there to the extent that they do special food for Christmas. It's become a fun tradition for couples. 

11 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

I don't suppose schools are closed there because of snow.

Looks very beautiful though.

Everything goes on pretty much as normal. I was there in March and the snow was really deep by then and little old ladies were driving little old cars over mountain passes. The people there don't seem to be into gardens in the way that we are and instead of lawnmowers loads of people have snowploughs on their property. You can see snowploughs everywhere from massive machines to little domestic ones. Crop fields become areas for tourists to ride snowmobiles and there are tall poles to show where the edges of the roads are. 

9 hours ago, Patricia W said:

My son and family are in Sydney.  The fires there are terrible and the air quality very bad.  He has asthma so I’ll be glad when it’s over.  At least they will get some respite as they’re coming over for 10 days or so before Christmas.  

I've been following the news of the fires on twitter and FB. It looks terrible. I bet you'll be so glad to get them home. Do you live somewhere in UK that has proper fresh air, not like London. 

Hoggy the foundling hedgehog is now residing at St Tiggywinkles for the winter. He weighed 348g and really should have been an absolute minimum of 550g so, although he was still munching the hog food, we delivered him to Haddenham this morning. So far this winter they have had nearly 500 poorly/underweight hogs taken in; we felt a bit guilty but did leave a donation for his keep!

• Like 3

Glad Hoggy is being taken care of - 500 hogs!  That's an awful lot - I wonder if their chosen places are too wet and cold - plus so much of the nasty worms and liver fluke having a whale of a time - great weather conditions for them - fingers crossed - he's had a good few meals to keep his energy up thanks to you.

Oh wow, what a pretty walk to school - even if it does look a bit nippy - but dry, sunny and crisp would be lovely here instead of the yuk we have.  

Not so much fun in Oz though - we have all their rain.  Your son is welcome to take it all back with him after his visit here!  Be lovely to see them, and know they are safe for the hols.  

Apparently the terrorist had been 'let out' early after a previous conviction. I sincerely hope that this leads to a shake up in the whole judicial review process. How even more horrible and dreadful for the families of the two victims that this shouldn't have happened because he should still, by the terms of his original sentence, be behind bars.

• Like 1

I was woken up by what felt like an explosion this morning. It made the doors bang. Apparently it was a sonic boom by RAF aircraft. Northolt has been very busy this week and we've seen some very exciting aircraft. A great big US military transporter flew down right over my head when I was in the Sainsbury car park! It's all to do with NATO at Watford I assume. 

At 5.00am this morning a brilliant white light appeared in the sky directly to the south of the house and crossed rapidly to the east, disappearing over the hillside behind us. Much brighter than any star or any meteorite I've ever seen and a far longer track as well. Seemed to be an irregular shape and seemed so close I expected to hear the crash of it landing. It looked as though it was leaving a vapour trail, so my guess is it was a large piece of space debris. Nothing on the news this morning but perhaps something may be on at lunchtime?

• Like 1

In Nw London we slept thro the sonic boom. ES and GF in central London woke up thinking it was a bomb esp in light of London Bridge terrorist attack. Discussed evacuating (!) But then decided against it and went back to sleep. !!.

As OH says lived thro IRA so will live thro this. .

Edited by Alis girls