Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Happy New Year everyone :D

I haven't been online as not much to say (!) but also its just been so hectic there wasn't much time in the day when I was on my own, plus my Mum's broadband signal only works properly in her cold study.

On the subject of sizes I think some shops aRe using US sizing as well as UK which is smaller, plus I think shops want us to think we are smaller than we actually are. I have gone down a size since I have got older, but I am still the same weight!

I've long said that, if I won the lottery, I wouldn't rush to buy a brand new car, house etc but would have all my clothes made to measure - that's real luxury! Just not having to keep pulling things up or down, tug at straps, etc. Things generally feel fine at first but, after an hour or so of wear nothing seems to stay in the same place; maybe I'm just an odd shape :lol: Jeans are the worst; wriggling into them and sucking in my stomach then, after a wile, they have stretched so much that they start making a beeeline for my ankles (thank goodness the hips get in the way!)

Re travelling jeans,you should give Marks and Sparks sculpt and lift jeggings a go. First you will need strong arms to actually pull them on,then tuck all the wobbly bits down the waistband,effect fab u lous. Then in evening much pulling and hopping on one leg as you try to get them off.I love them, only downside is everywhere seems to be doing short jumpers and I like the ones that cover your bum.

Yes, I agree about jeans, it's incredibly difficult to find pairs that fit, I wear them practically every day and the only shop I buy them in is Next. Consequently I have 2 pairs each of of about 4 styles bought over the last 10 years and I am sure everyone thinks I am in the same jeans all the time :shock: its got so bad I don't bother even looking in any other shop. I once bought a cotton jacket that I loved, and when it fell apart I took it to a dressmaker and she unpicked it and made me a replica in a slightly different material. It was about £100 as far as I recall, about twice the price of the original which was in a sale.

I can see and hear 2 people on quad bikes going along our quiet tracks in the middle of nowhere, thankfully it's unusual around here, my SIL has real trouble with them churning up the mud for walkers and runners. Yesterday my OH saw a 4x4 going incredibly slowly down a steep hill towards him. When he cycled past it, the driver was....a child of about 10.....and he couldn't see an irresponsible adult with him/her, although I am sure there must have been :shock::shock::shock:

Evening, and happy New Year all. :D

I agree on the clothes thing. I lost about a stone and a half a year ago sadly it is coming back as a steroid side effect with my chemo. I was suddenly a size 8-10 but I’m sure in old sizes it would have been 12. My biggest bug bear is gaping shirts and blouses. As a lady with an average size bust 36D mainly because that size holds all the flabby bits and hasn’t changed despite having a lump removed from one side, why can’t they make shirts with enough buttons or buttons in the right places to stop this from happening. It’s not usually that there isn’t enough fabric it’s just that they are badly designed!

It is sad to see how quiet this forum is these days after being very active. I’m guilty of deserting you for a breast cancer forum over the past few months which has been a lifesaver but it is here where I gained so much knowledge and online friendship that I still feel at home.

Hopefully with the spring will come a resurgence.

We managed to have a lovely Christmas this year with our 3 grown up children so I feel truly thankful after the tribulations of the past year. Hopefully chemo for me will be over by the end of the month and although I have another year of treatment ahead the worst will be over. I am so looking forward to the spring :D

Really nice to hear you had a good Christmas Chickencam. And everyone else. Hopefully it will liven up soon. I too found a great deal of support last year when my late father was ill etc.

On the plus side if ever I get to a meet up you will recognize me immediately - I will be wearing ill fitting jeans and standing near a loo. :lol:

Well not much has been happening. Hate this time of year between winter and spring.

Anyone's OH had their bowel screening kit? This comes to you shortly after your 60th birthday. OH has finally done his samples. What a performance. Long discussion on Saturday night in pub between him and friends OH on how to catch the sample. :shock: I told him cling filming the loo was asking for trouble. :lol:

Had to have ES's new bed looked at. It's a Duncan and it squeaks something rotten. Will have to exchange it. The guy came round and on his way out walked into loo instead of out of front door. :lol:

Also this week had spooky experience at work. Work in GP surgery and was first one in at 7.30 the other morning. My phone rang and on checking who was on the line realised was from an empty room. Totally spooked. I always turn all the lights on. :anxious: another colleague said she's felt like she's being watched when there alone. Overactive mind I think.

Am just trying to get my head around YS going on his first school trip in 10 days time! They are going to an outdoor centre in the Brecon Beacons 20th Jan to 2nd Feb and I'm so worried! Have bought most of Aldi's ski range and thermal undies hoping they will be so busy they don't feel the cold! Have also foound out that they don't have cancellation insurance so, if they don't go because of the weather or get sent home early, I've lost my £375 :shock:

We need to start packing this weekend and that will be horrible! First time he's been away from home but he's really looking forward to it and I keep telling myself it's only 4 nights! YS and I are very close - in spite of his very shaky start and the 8.5 weeks in Special Care! I'll miss him so much!

ES went on similar trip a year older and loved it but he is a much more independent chap - YS is very much a 'home bod'.

Listen SD he will be fine - they keep em busy. Last year YS then aged just 16 (i know much bigger) but a sufferer of OCD and anxiety announced he wanted to go to Berlin with school. It wasnt cheap - his arch enemy a lad whose frankly a pain in the neck was going. I told my son I wouldnt get my £600 back so he was going. Dropped him at silly o clock in the morning to get the coach - he was sitting on his own - none of his mates going. I cried buckets when I got home. The school were great - were advised of the issues with the other lad so they were kept apart. One of the teachers is a patient of mine and she kindly also looked out for him. He had a great time. Brave lad to go without his mates. He will be knackered and probably smelly :shock: when he comes back but dont worry as DM said its character building. You will be a wreck but believe me its worth it.

Thanks for words of wisdom (as always!) everyone! I guess I know he'll be fine, but still......motherhood is guilt and worry! When it became clear that it was a winter trip some of the other parents were up in arms and didn't want their children to go but my view is that the 'school residential' is something of a rite of passage; I recall going to Snowdonia and OH went to Kilvrough, Gower. Just being a soppy ma :oops::lol: He still gets very tired (hangover from premmie apparently!) so no doubt will sleep all weekend!

Love the photo PL! Light Sussex? Our banties were all LS and I must admit to a soft spot for the breed - daft as brushes tho' my girls were :lol:

Love the photo Patsylabrador :D

Must see how to master drawing on accessories onto my girls - I really like that. Beats trying to get them to all wear a woolly hat :lol:

Soapdragon, I'm sure your son will have a lovely time on his time away with school.

The few days will soon pass and then you will have him back :D