Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

It's a Me, Me, Me, society now, sadly, and too many people think that they are entitled to whatever they want NOW and everyone else can go hang. Patience, courtesy and good manners increasingly count for nothing - it depresses me no end. I keep telling my two lads that they should treat everyone as they would wish to be treated but, sadly, the examples of behaviour that they see don't back this up - sighs. I often hold doors open for people and often call after them 'Thank You' loudly after they've just sailed through and totally ignored me. Equally, when people have tried to get passed me and just said 'scuse me' I've added, sharply 'PLEASE'! OH despairs and tells me I'll get lumped someday! 

Just off to find my nice white jacket that ties up at the back :/

Oh, I'm with you all here. There's no respect nowadays, and I do what you do, Soapdragon, even in shops when people ask for something from an assistant and don't say please or thank you, I do a stage whisper! Manners cost nothing, as I was always told. We've started early with our 23 month old granddaughter and she now says please and thank you, bless her.

As I teacher I do get rather fed up with this too. Most conversations go like this:

“I need to borrow a book”

No, you want to borrow a book, please.

”Yes I need to borrow a book.”

No. You might think you need it, but in actual fact you want something from me and should ask for the favour politely.

”...what?”

:wall:

I do the same Soapy - Rosie is convinced that someone will punch me one day. I said 'thank you' to a man on the train the other day - he'd demanded that my booked seat was his, which it wasn't, so I gave it up to him anyway as there weer plenty of other seats, but he didn't thank me. I sat down opposite him, caught his eye and said 'thank you', his said 'what?' so I replied that he 'appeared to have lost his thank you, so I was giving him mine'. :roll:

Catstails - right with you on that one. My grandma used to have a thing about using the word 'can' when you mean to use 'may'; she'd say 'you can, but you mayn't'

It drives me barmy when customers in a cafe etc ask the person serving 'Can I get a coffee/tea/whatever?' the answer should be 'No, I'M

4 hours ago, soapdragon said:

serving, I get the coffee/tea/whatever'!

Edited by soapdragon
Messing things up again - I only tried to edit my 1st post!

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

Catstails - right with you on that one. My grandma used to have a thing about using the word 'can' when you mean to use 'may'; she'd say 'you can, but you mayn't'

I used to work in a bilingual school and the Dutch kids would often ask: “Can I go to the toilet?”

Well dear I truly hope you can, as after about 14 years I do expect you to be potty trained. But in case you were asking if you were allowed to visit the loo, you can wait till break.

”... what?”

• Haha 1

I can't even begin to think how this happened but my two chickens were out in the garden and one of them started calling at the back door which they do if they want something or it's time to go to bed. I asked her what was wrong and she let me pick her up and stroke her which never happens so I put her back in her run and looked for the other one. I couldn't find her so assumed a fox had got her and went back to my chores. Then I saw her in the front garden across the road. Her tail was down and she kept looking at the road so I had to rescue her for her sake and drivers. It's a busy road with lorries and buses and so on and I've just had to herd a chicken across it and then lunge for her and grab her tail and have a fight with her before I could get her inside. I couldn't bear to see the people watching me so I just pretended it was all perfectly normal and didn't look around. 

• Like 1

Glad your girlie is safe.

I'm thinking chickens are more clever than we give them credit for.

My girls once shouted so loudly early one summer morning that I went to see what was wrong, only to find our very elderly dog had fallen in our little pond and couldn't get out.

I dread to think what would have happened if they hadn't made a noise.

Looks delicious too!  Great way of getting children to eat vegetables too!  I'm guessing it is a variation of carrot cake - I've made courgette cake (correction I have HAD to make courgette cake to use up the triffid offspring) and there's a beetroot one done by Hugh Fearlessly Eatsitall - he added chocolate.  I tried beetroot cake the other day sans choc and it didn't make me want to have it again, although heavily disguised might be better!