Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

The view from our living room, looking over to the country park. We nearly didn't go to look at this house because both front and back gardens were grey with no plants at all. Slowly but surely we're (well, mainly DH!) transforming it to green. I scattered wildflower seeds for bees around the stones two summers ago and let them self-seed. Last year we had a wonderfully colourful display and it looks like this year is going to be even better.

_20180524_155308.JPG

Edited by GrannyTrish
Forgot to add a bit!
  • Like 1

I'd love to see flamingos :D

Had a crisis of confidence yesterday and almost didn't go to my PathAnat exam after studying for two weeks. I not only passed, got an A and she said I answered better than everyone else in the class :shock: :lol: 
We have oral exams which sound daunting at first but they're great now as you can really talk about what you know and they can ask about things you've forgotten to talk about.

• Like 3

Well done! You’ll soon be done.  Things like exam are always worst in the imagination, but they’ll soon be in the past. 

The storks are the most spectacular bird here. They were re-established in the wild about 20 years ago and seem to be thriving.   They are nesting in high trees or on top of long telegraph poles.  A really untidy nest, but at the bottom of it, you also get smaller birds nesting too.   The babies have hatched so you see fluffy heads poking out the top of the nest.  Usually between 2 and 3. Soon they will start standing up, then flapping wings till the “accidentally” take off!  It’s really comical to watch them.  

Fingers crossed for you, Lewis. 

We have storks in Slovakia. As you drive through villages, most of them have metal baskets atop telegraph poles for them to build rests in. There's one outside the uni farm with a couple of babies in!

Thanks! I have two more finals this summer then 'just' six State exams left before I qualify; two this summer and four next year.

Aww Lewis.  I'm so glad you carried on - you'd done so well it's such a shame you had moments of doubt.  Well everyone's proud of you and we know you can do it - hah pressure on now!  Mwah!

I've been following the storks on CJ wild bird site and they originally had 3 babies - grown big too and then last week something looked wrong.  Very sad that one had died and has since been moved ever closer to the edge of the nest.  Can't be pleasant for the others.  Similarly the jackdaws when they had lots and now had one.  Nature had a hand with the tawny owls - 2 big fluffy babies and then one and now that's gone.  I'm hoping that if the parent birds have gone, then someone filming has rescued the last one.  Life happening with all the nasties - but then the blue tits are so darned cute (and the little owl babies - all 4 of them!!).

https://www.birdfood.co.uk/white-stork-webcam

We don't have the best of neighbours on one side and in warm weather he gets worse. He's taken up playing drums and singing along and he's really bad! A couple of nights ago he was out the front screaming all sorts of abuse and threatening to burn down the house. We live in a semi attached to the one he lives in and we're not fond of that idea. On the grounds that we think he's unstable we've bought ourselves an extra lot of fire detectors.If he does lose it we hope that will give us some indication if smoke seeps through. The police already know him. All of our other neighbours are nice, it just takes one person to spoil things. 

That is rotten, PL.  In our old city house at one time we had a prostitute on one side (gentleman callers in large cars) and a stripper on the other (respectable bank employee by day, stripper by night....unknown to his wife......).  He used to practice his routines, outside, and invited me round for a full demonstration.  Needless to say I didn't go!! It was a reasonably normal street, to look at, honest!  But your situation sounds a bit more precarious, you can't be too careful, especially if people have mental health issues.  I once lived downstairs from a man and his wife.  He came down late one night, telling me all about how he couldn't stand it anymore and might do something he would regret.  I remember endlessly talking and shortly afterwards they moved out.  Looking back on it, I was young and naive, and hadn't a clue really, but I was very lucky, he was quite unstable.

I didn't know storks had more than one baby, for some reason I thought they raised singletons.  There aren't any round here, but there are hundreds of them about an hour north.  We drove past yesterday and I saw a stork tower block.  They had nested at all stages of an electricity pylon:D

I have just been sitting outside on our path, tying in tomatoes, minding my own business, when I saw a snake about a foot away, well camoflagued.  Its still there, I tiptoed around it, slightly warily, doing my own thing as well.

Haha, my lurchers love dead, rotten fish!!!!

PL, we had something similar in our street - we all kept diaries of the disturbances and the police spoke to the landlord who evicted him.... but then you'll know all bout that!

Go for it Lewis, I know that exams seem never ending, but it will soon be over. Madam came back on Friday (see stranded on lost train thread!) and is chilling out. All her stuff (except for 6 loads of dirty washing) is on storage and we're driving up at the end of June to move her into her new flat. Lovely to have her home.

:lol: what a strange thing to roll in.  I must smell like snake and therefore I shall be invisible to bunnies.  Not so sure about the fish!:vom:

Lovely photograph Granny T.  I've been looking up wild flower meadow seeds.  Apparently there is also grass seed with added herby things especially for chickens.  I think that might be on the cards at some stage.

Edited by Valkyrie
Just seen the photo!

:lol: Brilliant!  Years ago I was following their diary and then I lost track when they moved - or more likely because our old computer fried itself - it went up in smoke and then I couldn't remember who it was when we eventually got a new one.  So happy accident I'm catching up where I left off (although started at the beginning on a "refresher course") - and it has all been very useful, although I don't think I'll be getting coooos however much I love them!  Up to March 2015 now.  So if and when you see them next, give them my kind regards and thanks for the tips - all will come in handy, albeit on a smaller scale - but a tad larger than an acre!:D

I've registered as Koojie - which was my old name on here.  I changed the name because my mum learnt how to surf and I didn't want her to read my comments - not that they were bad, but I felt the need for privacy from her! 

I've not participated in any comments on TAS though.  Up to 2016 now -  been pacing myself with chores and  rewarding myself with a read!  :lol:

Big art structure going up on the Serpentine, Hyde Park. They've been building it for ages but the last time I saw it, it was just a pontoon really. I was quite surprised to see this today. Apparently it will eventually be floated out to the middle and the supporting pontoon removed. It's going to be there until September. It's made of barrels I think. 

IMG_20180607_124557-01-01.jpeg