Groovychook

The Weather Thread # 8

I've just been out with the dogs.. on our 'cool walk' for when it's too warm to go anywhere else; it's through woods, but was full of midges and I got some in my eyes, which wasn't fun. The house is lovely and cool though, and the dogs are stretched out on the stone floor in the kitchen with their bones.

Epic thunderstorm last night. Did anyone else get it? Very low, slow moving and menacing. It was incredibly loud and the lightening hurt my eyes when it lit up the house. It was about 2am here and seemed to head off in your direction Dogmother although I'm not sure.

The funny thing was that YS had to get up at 2am for work to cover Fire Brigade strike and I found him creeping around downstairs using the torch on his phone trying not to disturb anyone. The whole house was wide awake by then, in fact I found MS trying to take photos of the lightening. YS put a light on after that.

I read a forecast that this is the year of the thunderstorm and we've had some already although nothing like last night.

Just saw your post Dogmother so my guess was right.

Low key storm at 5am this am and then sweltering ever since. I sprayed hens run having let them out as it cools as it evaporates only to find I had sprayed Maggie May. She looked cross shook her feathers and knickers at me clucked and stomped off huffily. Frankly I would love someone to spray me.

We had some thunder and lightening last night, but our epic storm was at about2am on Thursday night, haven't seen one that powerful for about 10 years :shock: we have a great view over towards the Malvern hills from our bedroom window great for storm watching. We had gale force winds and torrential rain as well as lightening that made it look like daylight.

Does anyone have chickens upset by the storms, mine don't seem to bat an eyelid, whereas the tiniest disturbance normally sets them off.

I am soooo hot - we had rain last night but didnt hear any thunder. Doesnt help having a dodgey personal thermostat. Despite fans, windows open and cool drinks I feel the urge to lie in a puddle :shock: ES caught me standing in front of fan with t shirt up getting some air to my er chest. :lol: The humdity is a killer even the sun tan stuff has turned to jelly. Cats look mauled but doesnt stop them sitting on me :evil: gerrrrofff I'm hot. I long for the dry heat of the Med. Now I know why a holiday in the jungle is out. I would be permanently ratty and cross.

We had a piddly little shower this lunchtime but that's about the sum total of rain since Thursday's storm :roll:

It's been hot and humid but I don't think we're going to get any more downpours for a while. The garden is looking very dry again... I keep checking the water butts after each shower but they're still very low.

Scorchio 8) I love these proper summer days and warm evenings :D Its not humid, just hot, but the dry heat is so much more bearable.

We didn't have the thunderstorms which you had, they sound pretty epic 8) I was up the highest mountain in Portugal though, and we had 2 hours of rain, followed by a strong cold wind and very low swirling cloud causing the fog lights to be lit. I was there to cheer OH who was participating in a 100 mile cycle ride. Unfortunately the conditions got so bad it was cancelled half way through and half the riders had to be bussed back to the start :shock:

Yesterday, of course, it was back up to 30 across the mountains :roll:

We had rain yesterday evening, after a sweltering day.

Lots of thunder and lightening, sunshine, warm heavy rain and great bit hailstones :shock:

It lasted for over an hour and very welcome after all these hot days :D

Sunny again this morning and everywhere smells lovely and fresh!