leeweedon

Poorly chicken?

I'm in a quandary.

Margret hasn't laid since the end of December and has had this issue for a month now. The OH thinks it may be best to PTS as she obviously needs more treatment (and more money spending).

She needs bathing every other day and obviously has a problem I can't fix.

Im stuck for what to do. )o:

I can second that with Avipro. It was actually the antibiotics that caused this problem with my girl - I posted on this thread some time back. I had to dose her heavily with pre and probiotics and an antifungal lotion from the vets.

She was initially given antibiotics and when I returned with her, the head vet saw the thrush and took the chap who had seen her the first time, to one side and gave him a good telling off. She was taken off them quickly and we started with the Avipro. Worked wonders and was only £7 for the whole pot.

I can second that with Avipro. It was actually the antibiotics that caused this problem with my girl - I posted on this thread some time back. I had to dose her heavily with pre and probiotics and an antifungal lotion from the vets.

She was initially given antibiotics and when I returned with her, the head vet saw the thrush and took the chap who had seen her the first time, to one side and gave him a good telling off. She was taken off them quickly and we started with the Avipro. Worked wonders and was only £7 for the whole pot.

So let's try avipro, do you have a link there seems to be lots of versions

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark_Avipro_Plus/c1441/

I use a general one for dogs, birds and reptiles my dog has a sensitive stomach so I use it for him too if he has to have antibiotics its handy to have in the first aid kit. Bokashi bran is supposed to help with digestive health too I think or reduce smelly poo and can be mixed with pellets or mash.

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark_Avipro_Plus/c1441/

I use a general one for dogs, birds and reptiles my dog has a sensitive stomach so I use it for him too if he has to have antibiotics its handy to have in the first aid kit. Bokashi bran is supposed to help with digestive health too I think or reduce smelly poo and can be mixed with pellets or mash.

Perfect, so tomorrow I will be trying to locate this in Nottingham tomorrow.

Oh what a shame. When you say bloated - is it her crop that is bloated?

As asked, the details for the Avipro are VETARK AVIPRO PLUS 100G - you can use it on most animals. I have searched for you under several pet shops in Nottingham, but can't find a stockist. I found it at Pets at Home, but it is only on line.

I do hope Margaret is ok - please keep us updated.

Oh dear it looks like she has a small prolapse she deffo doesn't sound happy you will need to try and gently put it back or get someone else to I would keep an eye on her I have treated prolapses before with good results others not so good you know your bird if you feel shes suffering or not happy maybe the kindest thing would be to get her pts as she deffo has some health issues going on goodluck leanne :)

So sorry to hear about poor Margaret, I think another trip to the vets is in order ASAP in my opinion as she looks quite poorly. You've been taking good care of her but sometimes they just don't get better no matter how hard we try and the kindest thing is to PTS. I've had to go through this many times now but always have known its in their best interests, even though its hard to say goodbye.

Best wishes to you both and let us know how you get on.

I'm sorry to report that I have just had to put Margret to sleep.

I got back from work to find her hunched and in a ball. Her eyes were closed and she was severely prolapsed.

When I picked her up clear liquid ran from her mouth and it smelt like ACV, really strong too!

She is now free from pain and in a better place.

I just hope whatever got her isn't going to spread or harm my other ladies.

Poor Margaret. You have both been through the mill. I don't think there is anything you could have done any differently. I had a girl who died at 8 months old - she was fine to begin with but always laid huge double yoked eggs or, no shell at all and then stopped. She had peritonitis and the vet said there was something wrong from the start and she would never have lived very long - just luck of the draw.