leeweedon

Is Smite just Diatomaceous Earth?

Is Smite just Diatomaceous Earth but in a fancy tub with a nice label and higher price to boot?

Or is there something special about it ?

:think::think::think::think::think:

:L

Liquid I have refers to itself as a bacterial disinfectant,no mention of lice busting,suitable for animal housing.I had used out for red mite with smite powder and diamaceous earth now I am wondering why.Red mite seemed to go but maybe that was just cold weather. :? This chicken keeping is a complicated business.

Liquid I have refers to itself as a bacterial disinfectant,no mention of lice busting,suitable for animal housing.I had used out for red mite with smite powder and diamaceous earth now I am wondering why.Red mite seemed to go but maybe that was just cold weather. :?This chicken keeping is a complicated business.

Damn right! It is a complicated business.... 15 products that are the same thing and do the same job....

I get lost very easily with all this various options available.... a new keeper flow chart is needed!

When I went to the national poultry show I talked to the bigwigs With their white coats and farmers crooks, about red mite. They were pretty certain NONE of the products on sale were fool proof and the majority were useless :shock: the old creosote being the only true remedy.

One suggested that spraying coop with disinfectants is as good as DE. Apparently there's no proof that De works, it's just one of those chicken myths that get perpetuated on the web. Very interesting. I happen to rely on Detoll so i guess his answers cheered me up.

Xx

DE (under its many brand names) does help with red mites and lice, but I stick to using it in the dustbath, and use a combination of Total Mite Kill Concentrate and Buz Busters Powder in my housing.

Edited by Guest

I suppose Patricia W it's a bit like when kids get head lice,it's that cleaning cleaning cleaning to remove the new mites/ lice before they start breeding.

Exactly :D if you do the housing every 5 days, and treat the birds with a permethrin based spray*, twice - a week apart, then you will get on top of it. It's just a case of being vigilant.

*not licensed for use on poultry in the UK.

DE (under its many brand names) does help with red mites and lice, but I stick to using it in the dustbath, and use a combination of Total Mite Kill Concentrate and Buz Busters Powder in my housing.

So DE on the chickens, TMK then BBP in the cube..... got it....

I wouldn't bother dusting the hens by hand; just bung it in the dustbath and let them get on with it.

Will mites live in my sand dustbath? I suspect they only dustbath in the run anyway so I'll spread it round.

I'll give my cube a good blasting tomorrow.

L

no - the mites don't live in the dustbath.

The idea is that the chooks will do a better job than you of distributing the DE in their feathers if you put it in their dustbath :)

no - the mites don't live in the dustbath.

The idea is that the chooks will do a better job than you of distributing the DE in their feathers if you put it in their dustbath :)

You've obviously seen me trying to DE them! hahah :lol::lol:

I got to work today to find my Ivermectin has been delivered! (o: