atsw

Cream Legbar chicks (pics)

I think someone must be playing away from home :lol:

Yes, that's what I think too :lol:. The eggs came from eBay, which is always a bit of a risk. The supplier also sells hatching eggs for Indian Game, Cuckoo Maran and Indian Game cross Silver Dorking, so I recon the Indian Game cock might be to blame!

I had two more hatch overnight. One didn't make it all the way out, but the other did and is the 'right' colour, which is good, but sadly it's a boy (white spot on head), so he won't be around long term.

Will post more pictures over the weekend. Still one egg left, but I suspect we're all done at 5/6. Mind you, that's a very good hatch rate for eBay eggs that traveled through the post.

Andrew

Well, it was 5 out of 6 as the final hatch count, with 1 not reaching the finishing line. Here are the 4 that did make it with 'Mum' watching over them.

I've certainly got one girl. If the white spot holds true for the black chicks they are boys, as is one of the 'proper' coloured chicks, so just one girl in this hatch, which is a shame, but that's the luck of the draw. Any thoughts Redwing?

IMG_0361s_zps32caf927.jpg

bit late to this

The black chicks will be nothing to do with cream legbars so no the spot wont hold true

These two black chicks look like they will be either barred or cuckoo as adults. If that is going to be the case the spot may still be helpful as barred/cuckoo chicks can reasonably reliably (dependant on strain) be sexed by the dot. broadly speaking the fuzzy large spots are males and the more defined spot with a more yellowy centre are females - by that reckoning I would say you have one of each sex (or my second choice would be two females)

Could be absolutely wrong of course, things get complicated if they are crossbreeds. I guess they must have hatched from blue eggs as you didnt see anything untoward so they have to be crossbreeds? they could be cuckoo Marans x CLB in that case and as the CLB has a barred genetic history too my logic above will probably hold true

Hi Redwing, and thanks for your valuable input. You are (as ever!) spot on. The eggs I hatched were all blue and pretty much identical in size, shape and the shade of blue. I've been back in contact with the Egg supplier and it turns out he has Cream Legbars and Cuckoo Marans. The two breads are usually kept separate by an 8ft fence, but clearly there's been some mixing at some point in the recent past :shameonu::lol:.

It's good to read you think boy and girl, or possibly two girls, based on the white/yellow spot. The spot was quite well defined when they hatched. and even more so now at just over a week old. I shall post more pictures as they grow so you can see how it eventually turns out :D.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom, have a great B/H Weekend.

Andrew

Our first set of chicks for 2014 are now 3 weeks old. They've moved into the WIR, which has been lovingly split into 3 luxury 'apartments', one section for each set of chicks we have this year. Sadley, we lost one of the Cuckoo Marans chicks last week, but the remaining Cuckcoo Marans and the two Cream Legbars are doing fine (if a little camera shy :doh:).

IMG_0415s_zps7af93738.jpg

For those interested, pictures of the 2nd and 3rd hatchling (Pekins and Polands) can be found at http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=96966

Andrew

I managed to get a couple of close-up's of the Cream Legbar and Cuckoo Marans chicks this evening. They are now three and a half weeks old.

This is the CLB boy (who has very pretty markings)

IMG_0433s_zps01683319.jpg

and here they all are with 'Mum'

IMG_0448s_zps5af365c2.jpg

Andrew

Be interested to see how the CLB x Marans chicks turn out - if its a girl she should lay Olive eggs shouldn't she?

I'm pretty sure the CLB x Marans chick is a girl. The CLB boy is getting small pink wattles, no such signs on the CLB girl or the CLB x Marans cross. The CLB's are also getting little crests on their head, which look very cute. No idea about egg colour for the CLB x Marans cross, will wait and see!

Andrew

Lovely :D the little cuckoo bird is almost certainly a girl. males dont have it in their genetics to be that dark

Thanks Redwing, yes, you are spot on as usual :lol:. Here they are at 8 weeks old. All 3 'chicks' are now bigger than Mum! I'm very pleased with the CLB and the Cuckoo Marans. The boy CLB/CM is a strange mix now, but still very pretty.

IMG_0530s_zpsc2dd653a.jpg

Andrew

It's probably time for a photo update of my Crested Cream Legbar & Cuckoo Marans 'chicks'. They are 11 weeks old now, but the pictures below were taken a couple of weeks ago.

So, here's my Crested Cream Legbar girl

IMG_0583s_zps90b0b34c.jpg

and here's the CLB boy

IMG_0586s_zps5f38f2b2.jpg

And finally, here's the Cuckoo Marans girl

IMG_0582as_zps1e292c6e.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

They look lovely! I've just hatched some Copper black x legbar eggs and the chicks look very similar to yours the ad said that the males would be light and the pullets dark, they all look quite similar to me some are a bit greyer though and one is ginger like yours they all hatched from dark eggs.

My Crested Cream Legbar and Cuckoo Marans 'chicks' have now grown to POL (Point of Lay) and are 18 weeks old. No eggs off either yet, but they both look like they are very close.

IMG_0731b_zps5e024169.jpg

IMG_0739b_zps851fcbeb.jpg

I've named them Gabrielle and Xena. As you can see in the picture above, Xena has very blue ears, so it will be interesting to see what colour eggs she produces (she's actually a Cuckoo Marans / Crested Cream Legbar cross).

Andrew