leeweedon

Why is there always one noisy one?

Molly, the Wyandotte has started being very "chatty", often talking from about 5am on wards.... load constant clucking....

I've only recently noticed it, so it's either getting louder or she has only started doing it recently.

What can I do to shut her up? I fear the neighbors may not be as forgiving as me!

Lee

You can try shutting them in their house, door shut (assuming you have an Eglu, Go or cube) overnight and cover with a dark sheet and open at a more "suitable" time.

I feel your pain, I have a very chatty Silkie, and sometimes her Silkie sister will join in. I don't mind at 11am, when when they do it at 6 or 7 I too worry!!

We have one noisy hen too, our Welsummer. She has always been noisy and starts around 6am and even though it's now gone 9am she is still bocking away down the garden. For some reason she is very noisy not just when she has laid an egg but also when our other hen is in the nest. Our neighbours say they love the noise so we aren't too worried :lol:

We are having the same problem, so any advice would be fab. She only seems to have started since one of the others went broody at the weekend. She started making noise at 4.30 thus morning. As soon as you go out there she is quiet. The other two are in the nest. Not sure if she is protesting at being in her own. Going to try to lock her in the cube tonight.

Yes we have a speckledy calked Freckles who loves her voice! We find she is much worse in the summer months so we shut the Eglu door until about 7 and that stops her waking the neighbourhood!

Wyandottes are noisy Leeweedon. Unfortunately they don't tell you that when you buy them. We were forewarned somewhat however as we took a breeding trio in after a noise nuisance notification gave the owner just 6 days to remove them from her garden in town. We then discovered the hens made as much noise as the cockerel.

Wyandottes are meant to be a fairly quiet breed, although some don't follow the rules.

Over the years I have had 5 wyandottes.... 4 have been quiet as anything (still have 2 of them), one is a right mouthy so and so (still have her too)

Chickens are individuals and don't always follow their breed descriptions :P

I used to try and distract a noisy hen with food and then realised she started doing it to get the food, so now I let them sing their egg song or cluck away as one Orpington does without trying to worry :roll:

Sometimes it gets so loud our neighbours' hens join in. You couldn't live in my area if you don't like hens :lol:

Sorry I can't really offer a solution! Hope it doesn't cause too much stress - good luck :)

x

We've always had one noisy hen, right back to when we had our first three girls.

When the noisy one died, another took up the mantle, and so it seems to have carried on through the years.

I decided it must be some ancient coop law.