Daphne

So how is the season so far?

We're doing pretty well at the moment. We're chomping our way through the lettuce whilst it's still relatively young and tender, but that's all we're harvesting right now. Broad beans are full height and flowering, so looking forward to that very soon. As far as I can see, very single one of our dwarf bean, climbing bean and broccoli seeds took, so we've had enough spares to fill in the gaps after the cold snap a few weeks ago. Tomatoes and cherry tomatoes are proliferating; let's just hope they start bearing fruit. Something managed to get to the rows of carrots and onions, so plenty of gaps there, but fortunately the shallots are all going great guns. Peas and mange tout are under some netting so hopefully we'll be able to keep off both the birds and the butterflies, although we will remove the netting for a short while when the flowers come out so the bees can work their magic. Our sweetcorn is recovering well after the cold almost killed them off. Courgettes are being typically enthusiastic and we'll probably have to lose some of the plants; a family of four cannot keep up with six plants. Finally, our sweet peppers look as if they're doing well, but only time will tell how well they fruit.

The last of the chard has come out now and I am thoroughly sick of it, so I have planted some baby leaf spinach instead. The Winter Purslane, red-veined sorrel and rocket are all still going strong.

Taters are looking very good and the first flowers on one plant

Dwarf French Beans sturdy and looking fine

Cucumbers failed to show up

Tomatoes doing very well and have their first flowers

Runner beans/peas doing very well and I have just tied them up further up the canes.

Well we had our thunderstorm. Two inches of rain in 15 minutes added 1200 litres to the water butts but has battered the veg somewhat. Couple of beans collapsed, half the beetroot seedlings flattened and one tomato plant stem bent. Fortunately no hail, which would have been far worse. The ground was so dry it has all soaked up though, so no more watering for a while.

We are promised a whole day of rain tomorrow - cooler temps thereafter. Can't wait! Tomato and pepper plants def have arrested development and cues suicidal!

We had your hail at 5pm Sunday Beantree.  3 minutes of chaos, 15 mins of thunder and lightning and heavy rain and having to switch the lights on (till they went out).  Then the sun came out.  We were lucky, no damage, but a friend who is an hour away has lost all his grapes apparently.

I have pulled up 50% of my spent broad beans and dug the patch over.  Feeling much better now I have some space to plant out toms.  I hope you all get the rain you need so the plants can power on.

Just been out to peel the carrot leaves out of the soil. More hail due tonight Daphne, but only yellow alert. Having said that after 3 days of Orange alerts and nothing, the forecast went to yellow so we took the car out from storage. Hail an inch or more diameter arrived in the night; stones shattering on the roof tiles woke me up. Unfortunately the car, made of rather thin metal nowadays, was decorated with craters which fortunately can only be seen viewed at certain angles.

Still no parsnips! After a second sowing of leeks only three survived the rain. Tomatoes are flowering, but it's gone cold here so no bees for pollination. I'll get the paintbrush out tomorrow, weather permitting.