WitchHazel

Identifcation of insect bites

DH has been away looking after his parents.

I woke up on Sunday, foul mood (disturbed night due to cats, mice, chickens, heat). Saw myself in the mirror and was horrified.

My chest, neck and face were covered in bites. Everything was swollen. I had a shower and washed my hair (I had a bite on my scalp). Then I applied antihistimine cream and counted over 100 of them.

They didn't look like flea bites, and the cats have spot on treatment anyway. I searched online, and nothing really matched.

The nearest was bedbugs.

I read up about bedbugs. I couldn't see any evidence of bedbugs, but that's not unusual. They often live near the bed rather than on it. I read about how some department stores have had to have exterminators in to their clothing departments to clear bedbugs from clothes.

I learnt that one of the most common ways to bring bedbigs home is to have sat on a seat on public transport. They can arrive in cardboard boxes. It doesn't have to be second hand stuff that brings them in. I loked at my new mattress, new pillows, wondering if they were the culprits. The ist went on.

I washed all the sheets at 60 degrees. I started to put my clothes and towels through a 30 minute hot tumble dryer cycle.

DH came home. We dismantled the bed and looked for evidence. Didn't find anything conclusive.

On Monday, I had a fresh load of bites. Now they were down my arms, my back. I phoned and booked a sniffer-dog to come out on Thursday.

The desire to scratch was driving me mad. I was taking antihisamine, and putting antihistamine ointment on.

During Mondaymorning, I noticed that more bites were appearing. Some were blisters. I managed to get an appointment at the doctors for that afternoon.

The Doctor wasn't sure. She called in two other doctors for additional opinions.

They still weren't 100% sure, but were pretty sure... it's chickenpox. It's fairly uncommon in adults, and I was in early stages, so the spots didn't look like typical chickenpox spots.

I've cancelled the sniffer dog.

Today, the spots look more like typical chickenpox spots.

I was actually pleased that it was chickenpox and not some infestation.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you all.

Olly, I read that one of the leading experts on bedbugs now disrobes in her bathroom, and she shakes out all new clothes before she puts them in her car to bring them home.

Don't read up on it. The only solution is to stay in your own home all the time, do not permit visitors to come in unless they disrobe, and shake every parcel before you let it come into the house, lol.

Oh dear what a tale, I had to laugh sorry :D

Hope that you are on the mend soon, my OH got chickenpox when our children had it when he was in his mid thirties, didn't really feel I'll just covered in spots.

It is always worrying when a cluster of bites appears, I hate the thought of bed bugs and they are massively on the increase. Sitting in bed posting this and just found myself scratching :anxious::lol:

Apparently bedbugs are on the rise, especially in london because of the overcrowded transport system and the awful way immigrant workers are treated by unscrupulous landlords.. Beds in sheds, several people to a room, That sort of thing. YS never wears new clothes until he's put them through a wash. I have been known to call him Princess Peach bit maybe he has a point. I think you're supposed to ne better off if you dont change your bedding .

Re the Chicken Pox - I was reading a book about tea tree oil which mixer with pure aloevera gel is very soothing and helps stop infection. I bought some from Amazon but have so far forgotten to use it so I cant actually recommend it as such but the reviews were good.

Thanks everyone.

I have antivirals, I was lucky enought to have caught it early so they were worth prescribing.

Re bedbugs: because I thought i'd been bitten by bedbugs, I did quite a lot of research (online research, I mean). I now know more than I wish I did. The truth about it all is absolutely awful. Ignorance was bliss. lol.

Today the redness and swelling has gone, and I just have pale pink spots (and lots of calamine smears). I'm so tired today though, I can't believe it.

Oh poor you . The little girl next door has just got over chickenpox. She is 3 though , but she was still unwell for a couple of weeks.

My YD gave chickenpox to the OH when she was 5 ,almost 30 yrs ago, but I remember how ill he was and he made sure we all knew about it . He almost lived in the bath for two weeks to ease the itch as lotions didn't help .

He was excused Parade duties for a few weeks till the obvious marks on his face went. He went through tubs of vit e cream. We laugh now but he was pretty miserable to live with at the time.( and dare I tell ??? concealer stick when he returned to full duties, I told him not to scratch his face, he was lucky and hardly has a mark to show for it.)

Tepid baths , antivirals and camomile are all I can suggest, along with rest , paracetamol and lots of fluids.

Hope you are recovering well :D

Re the bed bugs - I am wondering if this is what we have, because for the past couple of months I have been waking with little itchy bites on my cheeks & jawline.

I can't see any evidence on our mattress, but we have bedside tables which would be a place they would nest I guess.

Urgh - can't bear the thought of crawlies on my while I sleep!

I'm much better now, although still a little spotty.

Some information on bed bugs on this website. The bite identification is here http://www.badbedbugs.com/bed-bug-bites/ On other pages you will get all th einformation abut where they hide.

And another one here http://www.bedbugs.org/bites/

When I was researching bedbugs, I found this article in the Guardian online http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/09/bed-bug-extermination

One of the sites had an article about a home made bedbug detector. You can also buy a kit.

Your local council may well offer reduced price treatment through a 3rd party contractor,

When I thought it was bedbugs, and after reading everything, I decided to get a dog detector in. As long as you haven't used beach or anything else strong smelling, they can detect as little as one baby bedbug. I was going to use this because it meant the dog could check EVERYTHING - beds, wardrobes, sofas - in every room, and we'd then know exactly what needed treating. The cost was quite high (£300, which included them travelling out to me, the dog checking the whole house, and one room being treated if necessary. If other rooms needd treating, the cost was comparable to the cost charged by my local council 3rd party). Overall though, this seemed quite reasonable as I felt it was the only way of knowing exactly where the bugs were.

I cancelled them as soon as I discovered it was chicken pox, not bedbugs.

This website might help you identify other possible causes http://www.healthline.com/health/bug-bites

Oh dear!  Funny story with it though!  I was 7 when I had mine - my mum made me wear my bridesmaid gloves.  Thankfully you didn't have shingles.  On a plus side any mossy bites were nipped in the bud with your antihisties!  Do hope you are on the mend now.

On 30/06/2014 at 9:43 AM, Cinnamon said:

Hope you are recovering well :D

Re the bed bugs - I am wondering if this is what we have, because for the past couple of months I have been waking with little itchy bites on my cheeks & jawline.

I can't see any evidence on our mattress, but we have bedside tables which would be a place they would nest I guess.

Urgh - can't bear the thought of crawlies on my while I sleep!

Cinnamon, are you sure they aren’t just mosquito bites?  I noticed that they are much worse this year in France and in Spain.  We came back last weekend and still bear the scars!