igobarefoot

Rehoming a broody hen

I'm really struggling with my 2 year old Wyandotte hen. She is constantly going broody - every 3 weeks - and she hasn't ever really fitted in with the rest of the flock, just her personality I think.

I feel really bad considering it, but I am thinking of whether it would be possible to rehome her, maybe to a breeder who could put her maternal tendencies to better use than I'm able to.

Just not sure how to go about rehoming a hen and hoping some of you may have some advice for me please?

There are some suggestions in http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60623this%20link - we don't permit rehoming through the forum.

In honesty I think it would be difficult to rehome her for the very reasons you give - she's 2 years old so not a youngster, introducing a single hen is fraught with difficulties anyway and she goes broody all the time, not a great prospect. You could try contacting breeders but my guess would be they won't be keen for health reasons.

Sorry for delayed response and thanks both for your advice. I have a broody cage that she regularly goes on holiday to. Problem is, despite it not being a very comfortable place to hang out in, I think she rather likes it, or at least pretends to just to get one over on me - I'll often let her out briefly to stretch her legs and I'll find her back in there, looking all mardy-bum at me :lol:

Long story short, a fellow keeper has kindly offered to take her off my hands, but then when faced with the real possibility of saying goodbye to her, I just couldn't bring myself to do it!

So, I've resigned myself to just putting up with her broody ways and accept that she's a high maintenance little madam and always will be! Ho hum...

I think you just have to. I have a naked neck who did a five week stretch of broodiness, then took a week off and has been back on it for a week now. She does not respond to the broody cage either, so I mostly just try and shut up the house when all the eggs are laid, make sure she's healthy and eating. I wouldn't be able to give her up either.

A broody 2 year old Wyandotte is a perfect mother Igobarefoot. She has many years in front of her as well. The best broody hatches we had were with a 2 year old Wyandotte (Loulou). We have another called Hyacinth (now 4) who is broody beyond belief. 3 months she went last time and now she is broody again. Doesn't respond to the 'disorientation' approach which is putting her somewhere she doesn't know, the idea being that she will feel insecure and not want to bring up a brood there. Usually works with others, but she is such a feisty madam she feels secure anywhere. (Her sister was a terror and top hen of 20.) Don't like using the broody cage, but we have one. Its a last resort if she gets too thin, but she is so fat anyway I'm not too worried at the moment. I prefer to block the nest boxes and shut the coop.