leeweedon

I'm a murderer...

It has been a very sad day here. At exactly 4:34 this morning a fox managed to scare Dolly, Molly and her 4 chicks so much she hit the eglu run door with so much force the metal peg was dislodged meaning the door came open.

Having watched the CCTV footage the fox repeatedly ran and jumped at the run while the chickens were at the door end.

Needless to say one by one the fox grabbed then took away each of the hens and their chicks leaving nothing but a million buff orpington feathers.

I'm so angry with myself, have been all day, and still am. I put a metal peg to lock, rather than the omlet official one, (as it's bent and is tricky to take out and put in.

Im so upset having lost not only 6 lives, but the time, money, effort, care and love I put in to them all...... and then I do something lazy, get complacent and all is lost.

It's my fault I'm a fox feeder/murderer.

Petrified they will come back harder and more determined now... I've spent the day double securing all the other coops and runs.

)o: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh how sad!

They were lovely hens and chicks... I feel for you. Don't beat yourself up over this. Everyone can make a mistake.

Very sorry to hear that, it was just an unfortunate set of circumstances and a very determined fox. Try not to dwell for to long, very hard I know, just learn from it and know others will learn from it too. Once again I am very sorry for you

Oh lee that is so sad. I feel so sorry for you. Don't blame yourself, you obviously put your every effort into looking after them. I feel bereaved myself after being an avid reader of your posts. Everyone I'm sure would agree that your chickens mean the world to you and you wouldn't knowingly put them in danger :(

That really is very, very sad.

I am so sorry for you.

I really don't know what to say to make you feel better.

I am sending you a lot of massive hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No-one could have predicted that would happen Leeweedon. I am staggered. You are the last person to blame and I am so sorry it has happened.

Yes it will come back, probably in the morning, so you are quite right to immediately check your security.

Hearing this sad story, I feel lucky not having to think of the threat of foxes... The chances of one coming for my chickens is almost zero. Biggest threat here is cats.

Must have been awful to watch back the cctv footage... Hope you find solace in the fact that your hens had a great life.

Oh lee, really an sorry for you and your girls. I read another thread when I first started about exactly the same thing, the official omlet peg had been lost and some poor sod used a piece if make shift and lost her girls,

Onward and upward lee and we will all be double checking our runs tonight.:((

This is awful I really feel for you. As others have said do try not to dwell on it and just know that all future girls will be safer from now on. You would never have done it if you had even slightly suspected this could happen.

Very sorry to hear it, but it happens - don't blame yourself.

I'm so sorry too, awful thing to have happened but try not to blame yourself, hindsight is a wonderful thing and you did what you thought best. Your girls were obviously much loved, it must be awful for you.

Oh this is horrible! I'm so sorry Lee! But it is not your fault, when a fox wants something it gets it, my Aunt lost all hers after a fox forced its way through a tiny hole in a glass window! They are so resourceful. So sorry for your loss. Xxxxx :(

Thanks everyone for your messages

Still feel so upset and disappointed with myself!

So, to revenge....

Can I shoot foxes?

You are entering a very complex problem there LeeWeedon. Best get someone professional in to trap and kill it. A fox trap will set you back at least £150 and then you need a gun licence and a gun. Do it wrong (inhumane) and you could end up in serious trouble. People without chickens think foxes in their garden are great and they are the majority who set the rules.

So very sorry to hear your sad news but you could never foresee this happening so please don't be hard on yourself. We always try do the best for our girls but sometimes nature gets the upper hand no matter what we do.

Im sorry to hear this I have 6 foxes making my life a misery at the mo im putting a trap down and then im gonna take great pleasure in the fox slayer putting a bullet in them I know they are only doing what a fox does but not in my garden 9 years and ive not had a problem until this year. Its because the old man over the road has died and stopped feeding them I would take all my boys that I cull around to the den for them if they would gladly push off but im afraid its war :evil: leanne :)

So sorry to read this Lee. I can't imagine the distress on finding that. Foxes are such sly animals and very determined. I would feel so angry as well and want to kill them on site in sheer frustration. I know you can't but understand the feeling. Move up here to the outer Hebrides.......no foxes and chooks free ranging all day!

I'm so sorry to hear this :/ It is however what animals do, and it's worse now due to the fact there are few predators competing with foxes - wolves and bears were all killed years ago, badgers have been "culled" none too successfully, which of course means there's going to be a boom of foxes, coupled with them having to move to new territories due to flooding over the winter (which has been what's happening in my bit). Nature doesn't like gaps, and it fills in quick.

Now I'm just an ignorant foreigner, and my various deities know I should know better than to stick my neck out as it's only going to get cut off, but I've had to raise livestock with not just foxes but coyotes, wolves, black bears, mountain lions, deer (again, they get a LOT bigger than here, I laughed when I saw the deer here first time), moose, elk, wolverines, raccoons, beavers, eagles, on and on. They each were a nightmare in their own way: coyotes can be in huge clans, moose are bad tempered and HUGE, deer eat everything that isn't fenced or nailed down, beavers chew through posts, wolverines are badgers on steroids....Each of these are a right pain, but unless you nuke from orbit, you can't get them all. Often the gut reaction of the less scrupulous is to shoot first and ask later when an animal goes rampant in the herd. However, dig a bit deeper and it's "oh, I left the gate open by mistake/didn't put the feed up/etc". In short, cut a corner, and something is going to get in. It happens, and it sucks, but that's farming as my great grandfather taught me. Best to learn how to fortify things a bit better and move on. But he was the most mindful farmer I've ever met in my life - they don't make them like that anymore.

Unpopular opinion, I know - I haven't been called an ignorant foreigner in a few weeks so maybe I just miss the abuse - but we can't keep killing species when they peeve us off. Yes, foxes are a problem and it's getting worse, but I suspect that's because we can't leave well enough alone and keep having to try and control other species because we don't like what they're doing to our golf courses, lawns and building permissions, which gives foxes a leg up.

Fence in properly, don't cut corners, don't leave hens out to free range unsupervised with nothing but a hedge and a fence to keep them safe...this is just the way farming is; tending with awareness and knowing Nature is going to claim its third sooner or later (old way I was taught, everything you plant and raise, nature is going to get a third of it)

Edited by Guest

Wise words BluSilver :) . I do however have to kill rats. Nasty little creatures, but in some cases, like my friend, she has rats due to a building development next door. So I get your point exactly. The rats had never been seen or heard of until the builders moved in. It's quite a rural area surrounded by farmland, so probably not sewer rats. Gosh makes me feel all guilty for disliking badgers, foxes , squirrels and magpies now :oops:

I'm so sorry for what happened to your chooks Leeweedon, it sounds as though you really loved those girls. Try not to be too hard on yourself, these things happen. Hope you are feeling slightly better this morning (((hugs)))