Angie

Ice Bucket Challenge.

It is getting a bit annoying now, but at the end of the day it's raised a lot of awareness for ALS and more importantly money. I don't buy the wasted water argument, most people saying that probably waste more than that in a week by leaving their taps running cleaning their teeth.

Plus when people like this are doing it it can't all be bad - KISS and Def Leppard done it on stage together and donated $20,000 from their own pockets. They also had a fan who suffers from ALS up on stage with them. :clap:

imagejpg1-5.jpg

Edited by Guest

The water came from the over flowing water butt in the garden,

it wasn't a warm day and neither was the water.

My donation was made , it wasn't done to avoid making a donation.....and I was cold for ages after even after a hot bath. My hair is so soft...must be the rain water !

I wasn't bullied into doing it , and my grandchildren thought it was really hilarious to pour that water over me, I can't say I laughed as much as they did , but I did laugh ( can't swear in front of the little ones can you ?)

It is getting a bit annoying now, but at the end of the day it's raised a lot of awareness for ALS and more importantly money. I don't buy the wasted water argument, most people saying that probably waste more than that in a week by leaving their taps running cleaning their teeth.

Ahh, but small things count... as Gandhi said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world"; in other words, make small changes in your lifestyle and it will still impact.

I don't buy the wasted water argument, most people saying that probably waste more than that in a week by leaving their taps running cleaning their teeth.

It isn't a huge waste of water but if it's all about charity, why not raise awareness to other charities too? Water Aid could benefit and people might learn a little and donate a little. :)

I think its great - two weeks ago I'd never knowingly heard of ALS but now my timeline is full of videos, links and posts about it.

Even if people disagree with 'wasting' water (which I don't buy into either) they're still talking about ALS which is the whole point of the awareness campaign.

It started off as 'do the challenge or pay a fine' but most people I've seen do the challenge and donate to their chosen charity.

They've raised £48 million for charity in a month - I've been nominated for the challenge, not yet done it but will donate regardless.

My two daughters have both been nominated and have decided to do it together film it, but not nominate anyone else. They will also choose a charity together to donate to which is close to their hearts. Although obviously this is a good cause there are many other good causes which aren't getting the massive publicity. They will ask that anyone who watches the video thinks about making a charitable donation of their choice.

Saw an equivalent from a guy in Palestine - he used a bucket of dust and small rubble bits. Water was precious and he said while dusting off his head (well as best he could) that he hoped there was water to wash it out later!! Interesting twist. And brings it home that not everyone has it overflowing from the gutters like we have - a lot this year! Can't remember what he was donating to.

Count me out. I refuse to be bullied into anything by these facebook challenges. Whilst it is a worthwhile cause, I will decide where my charitable donations go. From what I've read, people are doing the challenge to avoid making a donation. :?

me too - I am happy to contribute to the charities that I support, without the need for self-publicity.

Absolutely agree 100% I give to set charities each month and if I have any spare £€$¥ then I give to whoever takes my fancy that month....that said, I recently cancelled my subs to the dogs trust because they have called me twice to ask me to raise my contribution...when I said no! the caller said, "what not by even £1?"....I did warn them at the start of the call if they were going to ask for more £ then I would cancel my donation!!!!

I understand that lots of people may not have heard of ALS but that's because that what Americans call "motor neurones disease", I sure Most people have heard of that.

If I gave a regular payment to a charity and they called me asking for more, I would cancel my donation too, I think it is very rude. We give lump sums to a relief charity from time to time and get letters from them when there is a crisis which is ok but we didn't donate anything for a couple of years after a very pushy sales call from them, we told them never to ring us and amazingly they haven't.

This is a bit off topic, but there was a programme on recently (I think it was Dispatches on Channel 4) about the tactics charities use now to raise money via 'phone using private contracted companies. It was quite an eye opener and it didn't really encourage me to make charitable donations :anxious:

Interesting article in the Metro.

CLICKY

Don't like how they've used the KISS picture but failed to mention they donated $20,000 of their own money!

They are very negative about the whole thing, simply put if this hadn't of existed those millions would not of ended up in the hands of the charities. Agreed you shouldn't have to poor ice on your head to donate to charity but fact of the matter is that it needs something like this to get people interested. You shouldn't have to have Children In Need to get people to donate, but it still happens, every year.

I was a little cynical about all the attention on this one charity when there are many worthy causes however the video by an ALS sufferer in this article made me rethink

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/als-patient-makes-ice-bucket-challenge-video-for-those-irritated-by-the-trend-9684595.html

Edited to add - Oops I forgot to add a swearing warning as he does use a word inappropriate for younger viewers

I do think charities need to rethink how they treat supporters, with great reluctance I have now stopped all my regular charity contributions because I was fed up with them hounding me for more money, reselling my details to other charities who would also hound me and the constant post with my bank details all filled in.

21 Reasons Why The Ice Bucket Challenge Needs To End Right Now

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/just-donate-money-again?bffb

Humorous but I wonder how many injuries have been caused by this? I don't have an issue with it in theory, but as usual people have to go over the top. I especially object to the woman on the horse. Poor horse. Young children and animals can get seriously injured in things like this. Did you see the one reported to the RSPCA for dunking a small puppy in a bucket of water? Shocking :evil:

I know I am the same, I cant even watch those adverts with James the donkey....makes me want to cry....I didn't actually see it coming with the pup, it was on the news about all those ''stars'' doing the challenge then this horrible little twit appeared and that was it....puppy dunked!!! I was so vexed!!!!!

Our Vicar ( who does resemble the Vicar of Dibly quite a lot ) Has done the Challenge, her husband and her 4 boys too great delight in not only getting mum wet but The Vicar too.

She raised £1,000 for Mala where we have a twinned diocese. She did really well.