gavclojak

What do you do with hens that have died

bag and bin for me too - doesnt really feel right but the cost of cremating them is instead used to buy some more ex bats/ex commercials and give them a new life and happy retirement.

Ours go for the long walk down the field, across the river and into the woods, our version of recycling. In the past though when Mum and Dads hens have died we have put them in the bin.

Our dogs get buried, and all have been put down at home with us with them. Have already made plans for my horse as and when the time comes, he will be buried in his favourite field.

Fascinating....not only what we do with their little bodies but how we feel about how we do it......that's the power of pets isn't it :)

When Old Sparx passed away at nearly 18yrs I hated the thought of leaving him behind if we ever moved so he was cremated privately. His ashes are in a lovely casket in my room. I am happy that he will always be with me. Ax

I have to admit to feeding a dead chick to my snake :oops: . It died of natural causes. Weak heart I think. Sorry if that upsets anyone, but I felt its little life hadn't been wasted. I DO NOT breed chicks for this purpose :(

I don't think that's horrible, very circle of life. I now have the Lion King songs stuck in my head!

As a lot of the above, I also double bag and place gently in the bin. Having a lot of chooks males burial an impossibility there. My beloved Bichon Lulu is buried under a little cherry tree and a few cats are also buried. Everyone does what's right for them in this situation I guess.

I also bury in the garden.Having just moved I am hoping new owner does not decide to dig up garden.He will discover half a dozen hens,some cats and my beloved retriever who was put down at home.Just two weeks here we had to euthanise my gorgeous brown lab who was then buried with her life long buddy's ashes.I would have preferred to cremate Riley too but she was very anxious at vets so it made sense to be PTS at home.She looked so peaceful with a little fleece blanket over her and her head poking out.I had to keep her until OH came to bury her.

Those that have been PTS have been left with the vet for cremation and no ashes kept. Those that have died at home have been gently bagged and binned.

I feel we all find the best solution in our own circumstances and I don't think it really does get easier, no matter how may times you have to go down this road with any pets :(

Bag and Bin here too. When Mavis was poorly and PTS and cremated it was £55.00.

Couldnt possibly afford that again, so I have a cry and OH sorts out the Girlie for me.

Like others double bagged and binned, although when my Cockerel died on Monday I just couldn't put him in the bin so took his body to the vets to be cremated. It cost me £7.50

We buried Babs our first chicken but the others are double bagged and placed in the bin.

On a related note, some owners that bring animals into clinic here to be PTS donate the bodies which are then used for anatomy and dissections by us vet students, which I guess helps animals in the future.

Blimey, that's an excessive fee! Mini was £12 for PTS and cremation.

Ours have either been kept with the vet or double bagged with some dried mealworms and corn to see them into the afterworld (it was a carrot with our rabbit). But our soil is thick clay and we can't dig down that far before hitting the sticky stuff as we discovered when burying our rabbit. Also we have to fight with tree and shrub roots in other free spots. There are foxes around so not deep enough soil for garden burials.