Christian

What have you all been making...part two...

:dance: Your own quilting group. Bet that will be terrific - wish I lived nearer!

I don't get notifications either - haven't had them for some time and if I get into the habit of not going on Omlet - which I do occasionally, I tend to forget what I've posted on or maybe someone asks me something but I've not responded because I just didn't know and then it's all history swept under the carpet.

It was lovely to read and see what you'd been up to though. Even if we did nag you! :lol: It's quite an effort to do blogs - I don't know how some people manage to do a daily thing though - so I really appreciate your firing up the computer to keep me amused for a while longer! :lol: Mwah xxxx

Glad to please you :D It's easy to write as it's so superficial. Nothing deep or meaningful on my blog just pretty fabric. :lol::lol::lol:

Tonight I'm sewing dolphins for a sew a row swap. Last row phew that's 16 done.

1b48e2ba2bd090e142f3feaa18b00d25.jpg

That's the pattern not my row

Oh me likeee that dolphin muchly! :dance:

Well I couldn't let DD's quilt rest. I wasn't quite happy with it - it needed something else, so I added a green border to it as I had a lot left and cornerstones were from the dark fabrics. Hmmm better, but still not satisfied. I'd recently bought a book about borders and so daft ratbag that I am decided to do flying geese but up and down like a ribbon. Hmmm, OK, but it needed something in between the green. So I cut stupid little strips of the dark fabric and added that to the tops and bottoms. Now that was the happy place discovery! :lol: A billion slices of multi coloured and background fabrics with little blacky strips later and I had it all apart from the cornerstones. The green fabric boxed in with dark and ta daaaaaaaaaaaaa . . . photo doesn't do it justice, the colours are much more vibrant - even the yellow looks washed out. I did take it late last night. DD loves it and I already have the wadding and backing - just ordered the thread which may last for the mystery quilt also ready to do - picked up the backing this morning.

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/203717583125899860/

Paper piecing so it's easy and mindless, they were nice to do. I did 3 dolphins and 3 ocean waves blocks in the row, and used the easy half square triangle method where you make 8 at a time. I'll post a pic when it's been received.

Kerry love your quilt, the spotty black in the background really works it makes it more interesting than using plain white. Can't wait to see it quilted. :D

Not done paper piecing, apart from doing s"Ooops, word censored!"py strip leftovers on some old catalogue papers a la Bonnie Hunter. Years ago the pineapple quilt that I made was on foundation fabric - I guess it's something like. I have some Judy Niemeyer's paper patterns that I've not attempted yet. So a little tutorial would be splendiferous, thankies muchly for the offer! Mwah big kiss!

Here is my set up on the old quilting frame. I haven't made it as per instructions as I haven't been using it to quilt, but just did the backing first, then re-rolled it to make sure that it was nicely done without folds where there shouldn't have been! Next I rolled it onto the front pole and added the batting. Rolled it all back onto the backing pole (for hand quilting this is a no-no as the wadding goes with the top). Put the top onto the front roll a couple of times to make sure no folds and attached it to the front pole. I did keep flipping it back to smooth the batting and the backing and make sure no wrinkles were forming underneath and gradually rolled it all onto the front as I basted. This is the last bit completed - as you see it's just as well I kept smoothing the batting - there was a lot of fluffiness that shouldn't have been there first time round!

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/203717583126127069/

No - but it's on my want list! It's just a large wooden frame to hand quilt with. I've only ever used it once because the rest have been done on the machine. But thought it would be great instead of draping over the craft table and make use of something that has been sitting in the garage gathering dust. Which also stops OH whingeing at yet another useless but expensive quilt related stuff that was a must have at the time! Got it from the Cotton Patch. Probably the only quilt shop I'd heard about many moons ago!

They don't really do that one any more and the poles are too short (I got the largest I could at the time) at 92 inches, so I'm a bit stuffed when the quilts are larger! This is the nearest I can find to mine.

http://www.hinterberg.com/cat-Frame_Kits-69.aspx

Edited to add the other quilts were basted on the floor!

You did well getting that past him. We could all come and sit round it with you telling chicken tales. :D

I'm going to a show at the weekend and hope to sneak in another machine. I did mention it in passing but he laughed and started talking about me updating my phone. Hmm we'll see. It may be another show I'm banned from.

:lol: Have you seen Leah Day now has a Grace Qnique longarm now. I guess she never liked the Juki. Looks like she's enjoying this one though - and it is more like a normal sit down machine. I would prefer a stand up model - I'd still have to manoeuvre the quilt unlike longarms on a frame - just much easier on the shoulders.

Which machine are you after Plum?

I'm looking for a little portable one for about £100 then I found one yesterday in the corner of my room :anxious::lol:

I'd forgotten I got it years ago and ruined it sewing tarpaulins for the chicken run. It's really noisy, clunky and smells of burning electrics but does sew a reasonable straight line so it'll do for the moment with a new needle and bit of oil. Just for taking out and about really. I may use a sledgehammer on it if I try a zigzag or fmq so shall have a look at the show tomorrow, don't know if any of the cheap ones are any better.

Absolutely no room here for a frame let alone a longarm but hope you get one. 8)

Oops - was it one of those ta daaaaaaaaaaa moments when you uncovered it? :lol: Gordon Bennett! A sledgehammer! I hope you won't need to resort to that.

This year I'm getting a coach trip from Andover to the NEC. I still have 40 minutes drive, but at least I can sit and relax on the journey. All part of the quilt shop thing. Apparently it's £15 to park there now! :shock: A little excessive methinks. That's on the Saturday 12th August. Are you going again this year Plum? Anyone going?

Car park costs will probably stop a lot of people going. They'll lose business at that rate. Meant to give my ladies a ring and put my name down. Forgot!

Meanwhile I've started quilting Mim's quilt. It's not brilliant but I'm getting better at herringbones/wishbones! :lol:

Have you ever had a problem with YLI machine quilting thread? I've used different needles, different tensions but it always breaks. I thought it was my Janome being fussy but apparently one of the quilt shop ladies said she has the same issue with her Bernina. Superior threads are fine, so is Aurifil. :think:

I use superior which is fine with my Bernina. The only YLI I've tried is the monopoly which was ok but I prefer the Superior one, it's softer.

Don't know what to suggest if it's just that thread. Perhaps you have a duff batch or if it's cotton it can dry out. I was told to store thread in a box. My King Tut I left out deteriorated. Sorry can't think of anything else.