Christian

What have you all been making...part two...

For a couple of years it wasn't a savings to sew, but with them in adult sizes it is again. Especially when I consider the terrible quality of clothing out there. Even shopping the clearance section at Target is twice the price of fabric and its thin fabric in the stores. My kids are spoiled! My boys design their own clothes and if possible I try to make it. My boys designed a batman hoodie with bat wing sleeves. It was a little dodgy in the middle trying to figure it out, but the hoodies turned out so cute and they were so proud to wear their own designs. I just hope that they don't outgrow me. My teen girls haven't, so I'm hopeful! I love going out and we are all in clothing that I made! I sew the bulk of our clothing. It's the only thing that I do that isn't undone in seconds by kids! It makes me happy!

I sew almost exclusively from Ottobre which is a Finish magazine. They have very wearable designs and the fit is great for a very reasonable priced magazine. I have terrible luck with the tissue patterns from the store. It takes all the fun out of sewing when I have to do excessive alterations. I like quick sewing fixes and cute clothing!

I'm keeping my eye out for the right fabric for a prom dress for my oldest. I have until March, but I have always wanted to make a Prom dress! That was my goal when I started to learn to sew when she was a baby. I wanted to be good enough to sew her dress! It's not going to be the girly dress I imagined I'm sure as she has a very different style then me! The pink, glittery dress will come next yr when my second is old enough!

:lol: What are eggs? :roll: I have freeloaders - the sparrows in the nest box have laid more eggs this year than my lot put together!

LAB - I quite agree with the quality of fabric nowadays, imported horrible and flimsy stuff. I still have my mum's 1940's dress, later skirt - which I nabbed gleefully. Sadly it's in the basket of fix ups - the elasticated waist folds have worn away. Just needs a little fix - it's just that I find it so boring and it gets shoved to the bottom of the pile. But for the main part the fabric is terrific cotton. I could use it for quilts, but it's still too good for s"Ooops, word censored!"ping. I'm just lazy!

I made my daughter one dress - it was really bleh and it was supposed to be a simple pattern. The second one I did start but gave it to MIL to finish for me - I would have asked my mum, but I had her sewing machine and I killed it!

On a brighter note, my 201K, Agent Peggy Carter is now up and running - and is quite stunning! The stitches are so much better than the Janome! Luvachicken, I was using a bit of your hubby's granny's crochet cotton to clean the fiddly bits and I discovered half a crocheted circle tucked inside the ball, so I tied the end and it now sits on the thread holder at the top of the machine! :dance:

I still have to clean up Lady Pearl Verrah (Vera was the previous owner, but my 15K is already named Vera!). I decided she could be a lady as she's Victorian. :lol:

I've been super busy making crochet wigs for a children's cancer charity. My oldests high school is putting together 88 of them next month. So I've been busy making the base hats and tons if accessories. I have made 30 hats so far.

This is a mock up of Moana. The flowers are just taped on. After this picture I made another for each wig so they'd be fuller. The flowers will have a gem in the center. The teens will be doing that as well as assembling everything. The hat will have hair applied to it. I made enough flowers for 19 wigs. The yarn has a sparkle thread in it and is beautiful in person!!

20171014_160838_zps5b2iazbf.jpg

I've been making snowflakes and tiaras by the dozens too. It's been a huge project! Tonight I made my second son a ninja turtle hat. I might make up more for boys that have lost their hair to cancer.

20171022_011926_zpssgm8ohba.jpg

Thanks everyone! It's been an exhausting, but really fun project!

It is my twins birthday today. Their favorite colors are red and pink, so I went with a Strawberry shortcake theme. I made these outfits yesterday. They both have striped leggings, but we were lucky to get her in the dress (she wanted to party in her jammies!) The strawberry is in glitter heat transfer vinyl. Super sparkly!

For some reason it is cropping out the other birthday girl on the right. Not sure if it's just on my phone.

20171024_192218_zpsixb7j188.jpg

20171024_192318_zpsyxk2cvcd.jpg

They each got a little strawberry shortcake trifle and I made a big one for everyone else.

20171024_214308_zps6h5ong5y.jpg

Well this is what I've been doing lately! A little bit here and a little bit there. The quilt tops were photographed during ex-hurricane Maria and OH whingeing about aching arms - while I was waiting for the breeze to drop long enough to take a snap! :lol:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153776273@N04/

Edited to add that I've been invited to go on a quilting retreat next March with the group! And while I never wanted or considered it before - the thought of lugging a hand crank up and down stairs or even the lift and carrying it to the sewing room at the venue plus 4 days non-stop sewing with a cranky arm made me think twice. The Janome isn't much better (probably worse) considering the bulk. Sooooooo . . .

. . . I have a 221K called Molly. :oops: One previous owner and the machine is named after her. I need to get her serviced before I start to play and I've discovered a fellow near to one of the quilt shops - handy eh?!!!

And now the machine purchasing is over full stop . . . until I get the longarm.

Edited by Guest

Just thought Pimmsy Plummy - you do lots of other things like paintings, I'm still focused on the patchwork. When I'm not decorating - and the end is in sight for a short while. Need to make some tree decorations for the quilt group - apparently they are for the Bernina Christmas Tree campaign for Friends of the Elderly. Nice thing to do. I did make one from a tutorial on Youtube, but while it's nice - it's huge! Even using the same measurements and they did say it was big, so back to the drawing board.

Yes, thanks - I watched the stars on Youtube. A definite possibility. He also does those pretty folded ones that look a bit like a cathedral window - really easy to do - amazing the list of things that show up down the side when you watch something. Shabby Fabrics also have a cathedral window stuffed version. Interesting but she starts with a 10 inch square which ends up a little too big - no reason why it can't be reduced to 8. My cathedral window quilt (still working on it) starts off with 8 inches, so I think even then it's too large for a decoration. Will need to have a play! There is a yo-yo Christmas tree decoration but they use dowling in the middle for standing displays - no reason why the dowling can't be replaced by cotton - and made smaller so they dangle.

Then Missouri Star Quilt Co did the most enormous bauble out of s"Ooops, word censored!"py strips and aluminium foil on fusible stuff! :lol: