Christian

What have you all been making...part two...

Well with this delightful weather system . . . playtime commences with a before and after the new addition - Jeanette MacDonald - because she was calling mee he he heeee hee he heeeeeeeeeee!  A 1935 Singer 66.  Big sister to Pat Bond.  Funnily enough the lady who had her was also called Pat!  She was set up with a motor but is actually a treadle, so will be reverted to treadle.  At the moment she is having a bath in oil because the stop motion screw is almost welded in - that's the other end of the machine - the front end is working well and done - I start at the front and work backwards, then underneath.  She does turn nice and smoothly and all the gunk has protected her over the years.  Nearly a give when I tested this morning, so I will have to be patient.  The heat from the old motor probably welded it all in!

Meanwhile Agent Peggy Carter 201 is being put through her paces and I'm delighted with her superb stitching.  Playing stash busting with ancient fabrics - some of which are part of my first quilt - with scrappy trips around the world, almost colourwash style.  Not the final layout as I'm doing alternate diagonals with lights and darks so that I don't get a big patch of dark like in the photo - will be more flowing.  All florals because I'm such a flower girl!  Well, until I discovered Civil War fabrics and batiks and novelties . . . . :whistle:

20190603_164244.jpg

20190603_173043.jpg

20190609_142635.jpg

20190609_143308.jpg

How rewarding getting an old machine working again.  The old singers could sew a good line.  I loved my old treadle machine picked up at a scouts jumble sale.  Bit of a contrast to the machine of your dreams. 🤩  like the trip around the would type blocks , very flowery.

Fobs are smashing :) hope you get loads more orders 

• Like 1

I actually prefer the treadles to the Janome (Jezebel) as she's particularly fussy - even when quilting and having the quilt bobbin race put in.  I'm wondering how Agent Peggy will manage - thought I'd try that at a later date.

It's the Handyquilter Amara that I think is the one.  Avante I believe is the older model.  Can't remember, but I have the thumbs up by OH!

Actually it wasn't as difficult as it seems - went really quick and it was a rainy project in between other things.  I guess if I cut out the interference with life (hah!) then it probably wouldn't have been longer than a week.  And thank you.  All old fabrics - some pre 2002!  I actually enjoyed this one because it stopped me hoarding the old things and it was a reward for tidying the fabrics into workable scraps and strips.  Of course it's all messy in there again!  LOL!  But won't take long to tidy with the new organising regime.  I need to finish the last 2 rows tonight because I need to make the bed for my old neighbour coming for a short stay.  I also need to iron all the washing which is now piled under the ironing board.  Hmmm maybe I need to vacuum first so the clothes don't get thready bits all over them!🤪

I think Plum has that title!  LOL!  Thank you.  All sewn together and recently I found out that if you sew a sort of basting stitch (I kept mine the same length as I sewed) around the whole quilt top, it stops it from stretching and keeps the joined parts together as they were sewn and sliced before sewing together.  I hope it stops the fraying too.  So folded over the landing rail and the bed has been made ready for my visitor.  I will do a 2 and a half inch cream border and then the squares again for the outer border.  It's interesting in that the diamonds aren't really diamonds at all - they are rectangles.  I guess they need to be as each is offset to make the chains continuous.  I loved every part of this so far.

Gorgeous it's like a watercolour.  So pretty and vintage look.  Interesting about the rectangles I had to look at it for a while before I understood.  How are you going to quilt it or is it going onto the pile to wait for the special room and it's wondrous machine. :) 

Thought I'd share a quilt I made recently in a swap with a quilting group on Facebook.  People give their likes and dislikes, colours, style, technique etc and you make a quilt to their tastes.  I was well into this one when I read the brief again and it said abstract landscapes of course I'd done realistic so bum had to start again!  I'm happy to keep this one though :)

It's from a photo from my son taken in Ushuaia (known as End of the World) in Patagonia.  The photo had such clear colours and air and I hope I captured that.

Ushuaia_Patagonia.thumb.jpg.c76f63750d6d45638ede1ce80731c7ce.jpg

• Like 4

Plum - it's gorgeous.  See, I did say you are The Artist!  LOL!  Hope you can get the abstract one done - then we'll need to compare, but methinks I'm already biased to the realistic ones - for anything!

Ahhhh that's the one - watercolour, not colourwash!  DOH!  :doh:I was tossing up whether to use the walking foot on this rather than FMC.  It's so busy that perhaps a plaid type of line work would be nice - out of the ditch.  Perhaps continue with the 201 with that - she has lots of attachments, but I think it'll be easy enough to just wing it!  The rest of the done pile are waiting for the super duper machine!