Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Very windy here last night, snow was falling, but it's that very dry stuff that's just getting blown all over the place, so no real depth to it.

The roads here look clear, so my journey home ought to be ok, I will check with folks back there before setting off though, as the friend who has the dogs while I am here lives in a tiny village and the lanes out there can be a challenge when the weather is bad.

10 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Helloooo Vicki *waves*

how're you doing? I am going to be up there in April to visit her in the Easter recess, shall we meet up?

10 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Helloooo Vicki *waves*

how're you doing? I am going to be up there in April to visit her in the Easter recess, shall we meet up?

Hi, doing well thanks (although been stranded at home for 3 days!).  That would be lovely, let me know when you'll be here. Can't believe Rosie is at Uni xD!

Oops, still getting to grips with this new format!

Edited by Ain't Nobody Here

Yesterday OH and I ventured out to take granddaughter back to her mum a journey that normally takes 10 to 15 minutes. The roads were not good. 4, 5, 6 foot high snow drifts have reduced the road from our village up to the main road to a single track and in places where there is no hedge they are trying to go right across the road. Main roads had snow on them.  Not good traveling at all.

Very relieved that school is closed again. Three consecutive days. I don't ever remember school being closed for that long before and I have been there for over twenty years. 

Hi ANH. Glad to hear you are ok. Love the photo. 

Chrissie 

1 hour ago, Ain't "Ooops, word censored!"ody Here said:

I call this my Marge Simpson nest box!

20180302_074827.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

BIG wind overnight - still making whoooing sounds!  Mostly it's blowing the snow off and we've been seeing little snow devils.  I think because it's a cul-de-sac the wind is stuck.  Some are little but others are over head height!  Dunno why I'm getting so excited about it - BUT I AMMMM!!!:dance:

We've had the high wind for a little over 24hrs now which dropped the temp a lot yesterday about noonish. it snowed from just after dark for 3 or 4hours just light stuff probably about an inch but with the high winds it's been blown in to drifts  so the roadway in this street is more or less clear of snow as is the path on my side but the school side the path is blocked with a 2foot high drift the full length

have been out this am on the shopping run and the roads were drive able even through they were still partly covered in grubby/slush

it is a bit warmer than yesterday but the wind has started to pick up again

Yesterday - Most snow we’ve had in Cornwall since 2005, and probably the only time I’ve ever seen such light fluffy snow blowing around blizzard like in this country. It’s been gradually clearing during the day today - last thing this evening our road became drivable with care. I guess it’ll melt tomorrow as it’s supposed to rain and get milder.

E4CE766A-4946-45B6-A564-015CEBB5EE03.jpeg

737A86DF-4337-4329-AD9C-E0E543BB1EE3.jpeg

14F7BF31-A37A-4345-A7DF-86EA9C511B4B.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, I left my Dad in Herts at 3pm, some snow on the ground, but nothing serious and no snow falling. The journey back normally tales 1.5 hours.

It started to snow, the roads became more choked with snow, crawling traffic. At one point, I was the only vehicle on my side of the A41, and I thought.. 'this must be an omen'. Finally got in 3.5 hours later, having driven in 4WD all the way and wondered whether I ought to pull over and sleep in the car. I am a pretty intrepid driver, but this was beyond the pale!

We have about 3" of snow here in the frozen wastes of North Oxfordshire, and more falling. The lovely neighbour who looks after the house, chooks and cat while I am away had 'lagged' the bottom of the run with bubble wrap! She spoils those girls! The dogs are still with another friend, who lives in a nearby village... I shall see what it's like in the morning before I venture over there! It is weird not having two big hounds snoozing in front of the stove.

it's been snowing most of the afternoon not heavy snow but persistent to start with it was getting blown around in the high wind so it was hard to tell which was fulling snow and which was been blown along was nice watching the snow been blown off the roofs in waves through. the wind eased for a bit mid afternoon that's when it started to settle I reckon about 2inches have fallen this afternoon and it's still falling and the winds picked up again but at least the temp. has risen in the last 2 or 3 hours as the house isn't as cold as it was for the last 26 or so hours it's felt like the winds been driving the cold straight through the brick work. good job I've got a good supply of dry fire wood must have burned more wood this week than I did all last winter certainly run the fire for more hours this winter than in the last 4 winters

2 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

It's stil snowing hard here  :/

The same here. It is drifting up the windows now, as if we haven't got enough already. 

2 hours ago, Grandmashazzie said:

Still not a snowflake, we just seem to be missing it. Plenty 20 miles away.Very windy though,but no trees done yet.

You can have our snow with the greatest of pleasure. :D

Chrissie 

Same here sjp.

I have just cleared 6" of snow off the run, and given the chooks some light in the process. Temp here is -0.9deg, so almost balmy compared with the last few days, breeze is getting up and the fog is lifting. My plan for today is to go and dig the car out from down the road and move it up into a space that i see opposite, clear the front of the house of snow, and the side alley too, where it has drifted up against the side of the house. The chooks need cleaning out, then I will don YakTrax and venture into town.  

My friend who has the dogs says that the lanes to her village are impassable, so i will wait until lunchtime and see then if I can collect the hounds... the house is quiet and empty without them.

I don't mind the adverse weather (Innocenti women are built of stern stuff) but I am a bit sick of it now - we have done winter and I'd rather like to see spring now. Am I alone in not understanding the general panic about the conditions? It isn't an emergency..... this is how winters used to be. People seem to be suffering from lack of planning and foresight - this snow was forecast, so why didn't they stock up on food beforehand? You don't need to eat any more, just have staples in stock and eat what's in the freezer and cupboards. My dad remembers the winters of '48 and 62/3, and they coped without heating upstairs and no double glazing.

Yep DM.  We had no heating apart from the open fire in the living room.  Hot water bottles and lots of Jack Frost on the window panes sometimes inside - mum's net curtains stuck to the windows!  In this day and age (unless you have power outages) with the freezers and all shouldn't be an issue.  Even with a power out it wouldn't defrost with these temperatures!  We've been running the cupboards and freezer down to get ready for moving - plenty to get through and with my hoarding abilities I have prepared for a siege for the whole street!:oops:  Well, not quite and now the children have homes of their own, I don't need as much.  The boy has Sainsburys on his doorstep - he doesn't bother stocking up!  :lol:

DM no your not alone  this year ain't even that bad of a winter in both temperature or the amount of snow this week it's been the wind chill that's been unusually cold  the last bad winter We had 2010 I think when the whole of December was minus temps day and night in this area at least was only mainly -6 with 2 or 3 -10's We didn't get the wind chill I had about 6-8 inch of snow on the deck with paths cut into it for the mob to get out which they did most days. I never lost a days work through snow or cold weather in all the time I was at work from 1979 - 2012 when I got made redundant and We never had a government body saying stay at home mind back then if you didn't turn in for work you didn't get paid one of the few tip the old man gave me when I started work was always turn up that way the *****s have to pay you clean that up a little bit or don't travel and I never lost a day a school down to a couple of inch of snow mind the first 10 or 11 years had no excuse school's just over the road infants a 200 yards walk juniors 30ft senior school 30mins there 15 mins back up hill all the way on foot never got sent home for bad weather from jnr or inf never lost a play time or lunch time to snow or cold weather the snow ball fights are the stuff of legend for anyone of my generation who went to the 2 jnr schools (2 schools on one site with an invisible demarcation line across the play ground ) only got sent home early 2 or 3 times through snow and that was due to blizzard conditions by early I mean an hour at most in those days the staff had to be onsite till 2pm so unless the school got really cold they had to stay so you did to but We'd still be back in school the next day (never got sent home on a Friday) and the boy would get handed a snow board (a bit of ply nailed to a broom handle) to shift the snow

43 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Yep DM.  We had no heating apart from the open fire in the living room.

I've still only got a fire in the main room and an electric oil filled rad in the computer room/office and that couldn't cope with the cold the last 3 days

wood burner's been running 12-15 hours a day since mid morning Monday that's coped well know I know how much wood I can load it with and luckerly I'd cut plenty and it's dried out well through I didn't expect to burn much of this batch this winter I'd cut it mainly for Autumn 2018

It's been snowing non-stop this morning and we had about 3" overnight. We're forecast to get more snow right up to Monday. I haven't seen snow like this since the winters of 2010 and 2011. We're running low on logs for the stove and doubt that they'll get down the road to deliver more. We'll have to revert to gas again very soon.

sjp you just confuddled me!  LOL!  Although it's quite easy to do - I live in a permanent confuddled state!

Very slushy everywhere - don't forget to look up because we had a huge - 2 thumbs thick - icicle that fell off!  It's still huge although the sharp end was broken in the fall.  I think we must have a heat haze now - or perhaps a steam haze - the sun is struggling but the temperature is climbing.  The eglu is now set up in the greenhouse for the girls so we can dismantle the cube.  The guys will probably come on Monday to carry on levelling the garden (well, as best you can on a slope!).