Christian

The Weather Thread #9

We did have a storm yesterday - but I ran away to play with my chickens and watched it from a safe distance!  There had been some rain up there earlier because there was a little bit of water in the lid of the tub trug.  Needless to say the water that Mrs Mostin has given my two - they slurped the dirty water for some time!  O.o But there was another storm lurking - or perhaps just rain - so I did chicken out and put my toys away!  On the way home it was dry although there was a river running down one side of the road - I guess it was draining off the hills.  A bit further on and it was torrential with big floods across the road - it can't have been rain - more like Niagara!  At home it was heavy rain but today it doesn't seem to have made any difference.  Back to hot hot hot and humid.  Hayfever has been irritating too.:evil:

I wonder how farm animals cope with the parched grass.

11 hours ago, Alis girls said:

I cannot cope with the humidity. My joints ache - when I was in France - walked 20 miles in 3days - was tired but not achey. Rained here last night.

Is that from humidity? My limbs ache so much and I couldn't understand why. I guessed it was related to the weather but not how. 24°c is the limit that I can go and still function. Two weeks of up around 30°c and hot nights is making me feel like screaming. 

I agree, PL. There seems no escape from the heat. All very well when you don't have to do anything but when life just has to go on it's too much. Hopefully tomorrow should be the last hot, hot day for a few...looks like it's going to settle back to 23/24 degrees for the rest of the week. We haven't had rain for about a month now though and really do need some seriously heavy stuff!

How on Earth do the players a Wimbledon manage all that running around in this heat!?

They get paid a lot!! I would take a load of painkillers and force myself to play if I got paid that much. The cats are miserable too and so cranky - I feel their pain. It doesnt help living with a Cypriot and 2 sons who have managed not to inherit their mums English patheticness when faced with heat and humidity. I drink galleons of water and then when the temp drops spend all night going back and forth to loo to get rid of the excess:D. When I am in the Med I have no pain at all in the joints. Weird

Slight reprieve the past couple of days because of the cloud, but it got quite hot again.  Storms predicted for tomorrow - well, I missed one sort of last week, but it says there may be power cuts in some places - so pretty nasty when they do turn up.  I wonder if poor old Maidstone and High Weald areas will get it all again.

Lightning tracker on and so is the weather radar!

We had a teeny bit of rain last night, but not enough to even leave any in the wheelbarrow. Water butts have been empty for 2 months

The poor farmers will have a bad harvest this year - they are bringing it in already in some fields. The crops are about half the height they should be and the ears are thin :(

They are worrying about the grass growing back in time for winter!  Some are relieved they managed to get the hay in but the second lot isn't looking very good.  Ours didn't come to much last night so I think we may have had more during the night.  Woke up to wet grass - with a big dry patch around the trees - but puddles in the road.  The paths were dry.  We need more overnight stuff so that it sinks down before the sun gets a chance to burn it off again.

5 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

We had a teeny bit of rain last night, but not enough to even leave any in the wheelbarrow. Water butts have been empty for 2 months

The poor farmers will have a bad harvest this year - they are bringing it in already in some fields. The crops are about half the height they should be and the ears are thin :(

I noticed it looked very short and I was surprised to see combines out a couple of weeks ago. I've lost track of countryside calendars and practices but that seemed very early. 

I think it would be really nice if we had some rain over night to cool everything down a bit.  It can be sunny during the day with a nice little breeze and rain again the next night.  Win win situation.  Meanwhile I'm considering lying flat out on the floor because the sofa is too warm!  Other than that I keep thinking of Les Dawson doing his elderly lady routine with Roy Barraclough and their feet in little paddling pools.  Bliss.

I just cannot believe it can get any hotter! Forecast for RAF Benson (5 miles away from us) for tomorrow is 34 degrees. I don't know what that is old money nor do I want to - far too depressing. Apparently back down to 26 degrees over the weekend with an outside chance of rain but I am dreading the next 48 hours. The boys and I are stating indoors although a dawn raid on Lidl and Tesco is planned for Friday morning - if only to top up on salad!

Farmers round here are really struggling - the harvest is all but in tho nowhere near what it should be. I foresee huge price hikes on bread, veggies, fruit etc over the coming months. I guess also a knock on effect with dairy products, milk shortly and cheese a few months down the line. 

How is everyone else coping with the extreme heat? 

I'm fine, although it's a tad hot when I'm not in either the office or home. The dogs are fine at home as it's lovely and cool - they install themselves on the stone floor in the kitchen in the day.

Outdoors is a different matter though; it is exceptionally hot and dry, I am walking the dogs at 6am, when it is lovely and cool. Local farming friends are really suffering... the harvest is very poor, especially wheat, although the barley is faring slightly better. The stems have all dried off, so even if it rains now, the ears won't swell, just rot, so they may as well cut their losses and bring the harvest in now before it does rain and spoils the lot. There's also an impact on the livestock - they are too hot to eat, and there's no grass anyway so farmers are using their winter hay and other crops to feed them now. This will leave them with a shortfall in winter feed later down the line, when they will have to buy in more expensive fodder. As Soapy just said, this will result in price hikes across the board.