Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Don’t get me wrong, we desperately needed the rain, but I’ve so loved the hot weather (in Cornwall we’ve topped out at mid to high 20s rather than the 30s some of you have had) and I’ve been cold at work twice this week, and then today has just been a miserable day. Max temp 16, damp or wet and howling windy all afternoon. Bring back the summer please!

My daughter is like you Mullethunter. She thrives in the heat, even the hottest days here didn't seem to bother her. As for me, I'm loving the cool air. Like Soapie I'm busier and more productive. I'm a bit worried about subsidence. There's no sign of that yet on the house but there are deep cracks in the garden soil and it happens quite a lot around here. Last time it happened our neighbours had three large trees cut down so that should make a difference. 

• Like 1

Right slap bang in the midst of it at the moment.  Yuk yuk and triple yuk.  Just had a look at the cube to see if it's been blown over - still standing!  Horrible stuff at the mo - looks like someone chucking buckets of water at the windows!

Edited by Valkyrie
can't count!

We have had 2 severe weather warnings - for tonight - easing by 9am (joy - not) and again for Sunday 9am to Monday 9am.  Hmmm. So the bushbabies should just about survive - but probably very muddy!

I guess this is still "storm" Ali and it's probably part of the hurricane that battered the eastern seaboard.  Florence?  Caught in the old jetstream.

Well so much for being a "nice" day.  Drizzle first thing - OK it must clear up soon.  Nope it got worse - plus low cloud making it misty - I didn't realise how high up we were until the misty cloudy days arrived!¬¬  I hope the little bushbabies didn't get too waterlogged.  It's still raining now - and Squirt sulked but still had her tail up so I think she was just cheesed off with yet more rain.  But no wind.  Not a twitch of leaves to be had until this afternoon when it changed but not too bad, slight breeze.  And the warning for gale force stormy winds for the morning have been removed to 17mph.  I can live with that!  Also supposed to be sunnier too.  So I believe the rubbish rain that was supposed to be tomorrow blew in earlier.  

Couldn't get warm last night - and when I did around 5.30 I went off into such a deep sleep that I woke up at 8.45 and thought yikes birdies!  So rushed to the window - yes still raining pffft!  And it was windier than they suggested!  Pffft!  Sorted the birds out - I don't know which one, but a baby makes an I want to get out noise like a kettle whistling.:roll:

And now I've been snuggled on the settee with a coffee, my feet are finally warming up and the sun is finally breaking through and I can see little whisps of blue through the white and grey stratus clouds

Spoke too soon - no blue but more rain on the way unless the wind blows it over quickly - methinks it's bringing yesterdays stuff back as the wind is a different direction.  I curse the weather vane on our (time out to administer iodine to OH's big gash in his leg - he's getting better at injuries, he doesn't quite run round like a headless chook but does the intake of breath through his teeth.  Loudly) ahem weather vane on the shed - it tells porkies!  Which is not surprising because while it is supposed to be a cat and a mouse, the cat does look like a pig with a straight tail!  It was already here though.

We put up our new washing posts on Sunday, did the washing today - and one is in softer ground and is listing more than a battle worn pirate ship!  Needless to say I didn't dare put much on there - luckily the prop supported the little bits that were out there, but I watched as my skirt got closer to the ground!  One side we found the bedrock quite near the surface - shale, so it has kept the post firm.

But yes indeed a beautiful day.  OH said no it's just a heavy dew outside when I went to sort the girls out.  Nope that was definitely frost on the cube!

And the washing has dried beautifully.