Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Yuk down here as well. Cold and wet. We were taken by surprise by how bad the weather in France is through Late Autumn and Winter. After our first and only year in the Dordogne, which was far worse than we ever experienced in England, we vowed to leave and find somewhere better. This is definitely better, but really it's quite similar to weather in England at the moment.

A friend has recently been to Venice and Verona - and Venice was flooded!  I needed to think about that for a minute - then she sent the photos of raging torrents and the Venetians were concerned that if the waters didn't ease then their old bridge might not be able to take the strain!  Scary stuff!

Last night went from bad to worse - lashing rain until the early hours and very high winds.  I have seen sun earlier and some blue sky but back to breezy and rain.  The chickens are depressed and so am I!

Well we have had so much rain since Thursday but there was a dry spell on Friday where we had a lovely quick walk.  That night the winds picked up and torrential rain.  Saturday off to the local shops and we waited till the awful weather eased off.  Heard some thunder too.  As I was driving we saw the roads had turned to rivers and the ditches were struggling to hold the water in, some failing miserably as the water was oozing out from the banks.  The afternoon improved and OH, DD and her other half went for a short walk along the road to paddle in the puddles/streams on the road.  She did a great job of clearing leaves out of the gutters, only to have them fill up again further down.  I have no idea how she managed to get water in her wellies!  Today has been much better, windy but dry here.  We had a nice walk this morning and then around the field later.  We have been lucky as we can see the yukky clouds to the south and we've basked in sunshine.  The roads are still rivers in places as the water drains off the fields.  I gather it's going to be mucky weather for a while now.

I think we have been lucky here in south Oxfordshire then. We have had some heavy rain for sure but mainly at night (so nice to listen to when you are tucked up in bed even when OH's snoring nearly drowns the drumming rain out O.o) A couple of showers during the day yesterday but I still managed to dry the bedding (love that outdoors, line dried smell!) and today has been cold and crisp and bright. With the heavier rain I am hoping that the garden is now soft enough to dig over sometime next week - its been rock hard for ages and I've not really been able to get more than an inch or so down since the Spring!

Beautiful day yesterday but there were some stormy anvil clouds to the south of us.  We did hear a rumble of thunder, but it wasn't for us.  Went for a walk and the roads were still like waterfalls only this time it was seeping out from the fields.  Today more of an April shower day - again sunny and we missed the worst of a few storms, some to the south east of us - big rumbles that lasted quite a while.  At the moment the rain is lashing at the windows and I see there's another stormy band passing close to us.

When today started off foggy I was really cheesed off.  We wrapped ourselves up well this time while outside, but by elevensies time blue patches appeared and the sun came out.  It actually felt nice until the wind blew as a reminder that winter is coming!  Couldn't believe how excited I was by seeing such a smidgeon of blue sky - I would have done a happy dance but I was hanging onto weldmesh!

We definitely have low clouds.  We have had a fair few visitors here and they said it was nice down in the other village!  So misty days we get.  Sometimes the sun breaks through but sometimes they get darker and we dive for cover as the rain has been heavy in fits and starts.  The other day we had a big round orange in the sky.  Very pretty but it isn't much use 5 minutes before it drops down on the horizon!

Your comment about the mist reminds me of a friend who lives in the Forest of Dean, in a teeny village called St Briavel's; it's pretty high over the valley and they sometimes refer to it as having 'its head in the clouds'. 😊

Very dark here this morning, but a mild 7deg, has just started to rain, so the planned trip to the reclamation yard and tip with the builder will be fun :roll:

Oooo, 'appen we've had a forum upgrade - I now get notifications, and the emoticons have changed

Hanging on for dear life here!  It was blooming windy yesterday until late afternoon and the rain, oh my goodness, like someone throwing buckets at the windows!  OH had to clear a drain in the road because the leaves had blocked it and there was a huge flood.  Plum said it was our moat!:lol:  We had cleared the leaves away but the torrent of water brought more down.  It was quite deep and when he cleared the blockage it all went down like going down the plug hole!  Today the rain wasn't as bad, but the wind is much worse.  On a brighter note I was outside during a sunshine break with no coat or jumper - just t-shirt.  It's quite warm.  2 days ago we lit the log fire it was so cold!

What Valkyrie said! I was at a reservoir in west Cornwall this morning and the wind was rocking my van so badly I thought it was going to blow me over - I was scared to get out!

Forecast to be even worse in the small hours - I hate strong winds - I lie there worrying about bits blowing off the house and the chickens blowing away!

• Like 1

One of the previous "storms" that we've had here (this is the 3rd) was so awful during the night that I thought the solar panels were coming off!  One of those nights that you do not get sleep!  The last one OH had to hammer the roof back on the workshop/garage as that had pulled apart.  The garage is extremely damp and the workshop isn't much better - it's gotta go before Mother Nature does!

The most weird thing today was I had to push hard to get back indoors!  I have no idea why the door wanted to stay closed - it usually opens easily if you don't shut it properly and then OH whinges at me leaving the door open and letting the cold air in!  Today it was a two handed shove!  No gales in the house and I couldn't detect any draughts!  Blinking ghosts playing up now.

• Like 1