Christian

The Weather Thread #9

I think we now have your Cornish weather! It's blowing a hooley and thrashing with rain - the morning dog walk will be interesting!

Because of the ongoing building works, I am sleeping in the attic bedroom; you're really connected with the weather up there. I was woken by the sound of rain thrashing on one of the Velux windows.

Well the UK weather says 50 to 60mph winds with 60/70 for Cornwall and up.  Methinks as I was almost blown over with chicken pellets knocked out of my hand, I think it's a bit more than that!  Second attempt after a refill of pellets, I pushed hard against it and finally got to the girls!  I've been out in the hurricane winds before - the January one after the October one years ago and that was on a par with this.  I'm thinking that Mullethunter would say no way to that too!  

Beginning to ease off a bit and much brighter.  I see a little blue and the sun isn't exactly showing but through the clouds is a nice glow - which brings a little cheeriness and hopeful that this will end soon.  Blinking Diana!  

9 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

rain lashing on the window woke me up too - that was just after 3am

That’d be right because it woke me up at 2am!

7 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I've been out in the hurricane winds before - the January one after the October one years ago and that was on a par with this.  I'm thinking that Mullethunter would say no way to that too! 

OH reckoned overnight last night was the worst in the 3 and a half years we’ve lived in this house. I’m not sure if that’s true or if it’s just that the direction was blowing the worst into our bedroom window. Certainly was pretty wild though - I got up and peered out of the bathroom window at the chicken run twice in the night to make sure everything was still there.

I think that’s it for the really rough stuff for the time being.

• Like 1

I think they underestimated it's strength.  I'm hoping you are right Mullethunter.  Just wondering how many more of these we have to put up with before spring!  I said to OH that I wondered if this was going to be the new norm or whether it's just a fluke system this year.  Died down a lot.  Still had a few downpours but thankfully the chicken run is still up.  Some small cable ties had pulled apart but we've put heavy duty ones on there now.  It was really creaking and grinding and although there are tarps over the top (accepted some rain would come through between the gaps) everywhere is wet inside, so horizontal rain.  Where the munchkins are in the eglu run, they were cosy enough but the fencing around the outside was bending flat - one of the poles completely snapped at the base and that was metal!  Couldn't stand the strain!

We've been extremely lucky with the weather here as November has always been very bad; cold, windy and wet. It was 16C yesterday and brilliant sunshine, so felt even warmer. Started to cloud over in the evening and rained shortly after the chickens were locked up. Rained heavily all through the night and stopped 5 minutes before the coops were opened. Now it's sunshine again! Still haven't needed to switch the central heating on, which is just as well given the price of fuel oil at the moment.

Wet and windy this morning - overnight some heavy rain.  Lots of flooding and water like rivers down the hills - gushing out of the fields too!  But as we came home the rain had stopped and along the road rivers were piles of leaves that had been washed and left high and dry (or soggy more like)!  We had some sun, although more cloud.  Working outside was pleasant and mild until the wind picked up again.  Raining heavily now.

It is so mild today that I woke up feeling too hot, and now have the back door open. Clouds have lifted, there's a little blue, and crucially.... NO RAIN 

The builder working on the patio should be finishing today, after struggling through the rain yesterday. I am going to muck out the chooks, then spend the day either walking the dogs or having  a bit of a clean indoors to try and get some of the grit and dust down from the indoor building work.

Saw only one teeniest bit of blue sky - it looked like we were going to get some sun,  but no such luck.  Wet and windy but very mild.  Earlier this morning we did have a few dry spells which enabled us to finish putting up the electric fence and we are good to zap inquisitive fox noses - I hope!  With less than 3% of gas in the tank, it's a good job it is mild!  Calor Gas come tomorrow to install the new tank - I hope they fill it up!  It has been nice having a fire going in the living room.  We had some marshmallows that we toasted.  I think OH should retrieve his 7 sweet chestnuts and roast them before the mice in the garage eat them first!  :lol:

Oh well, the mildness continues. We had darkness and rain yesterday - the brief excursion by the sun was mostly missed, as I was in a meeting.

Was blowing an absolute hooley last night, not helped by the fact that I am currently sleeping in the attic bedroom while the rest of the house is worked on. It was very noisy even with earplugs deployed. The flock was securely tucked in last night, and are fine. Just off to the park with the dogs to see what damage has occurred down there.

Night before it rained pretty much all night - every time I woke in the night I could hear it on the windows.  When it stopped you just get the thud thud of big drips on the window ledge! :roll: Was quite blustery so I guess horizontal rain too.  Daytime was better with a fair amount of sun - in Exeter, have no idea how wet it was at home.  Odd showery moments, but quite windy.  Last night the wind really picked up - quite unpleasant (scary mode) and loud as you say DM.  It's only just semi-light here but not raining now.  Still blowing but not as bad as the night.  As far as I could see - the electric fence was working but too dark to see if the shelter was still up!  They've increased the weather warning to cover Saturday night.  I am not amused!  I guess we will have more horizontal rain soon, so better let the rabble out earlier before it starts!

We had a bit of a lull for some time - had a trip to Wiveliscombe - enjoyed muchly!  It showered occasionally and was windy but reasonable.  After lunch we still had sunshine and the run was dry - amazing!  But the wind picked up around 2pm and the rain came over - pretty well set in too.  By the time I went out to give the girls and boy their tea the wind was bad and OH was adding sandbags with ballast around the bottom of the run.  When I went to lock up for the night I opened the door but closed it again - it was vile outside, but thought it might not blow over, so wrapped up and by the time I reached the run and closed their doors, it was very scary.  The wind was, well, awful and the rain . . .   locked up shop, put the electric fence back on and pretty much ran back to the house until I got away from the trees.  I don't think I've been that scared since being caught out in the open in a thunderstorm in Derbyshire many moons ago!

Very chilly - felt the difference yesterday, wind was coming from the north east and then swung round to south east - still cold!  At least it wasn't raining!  We seem to have one day sunny and the next five wet and windy!  Started the log fire much earlier yesterday evening.  I've changed the weather report to celsius which has now altered the readings for the wind to mph - I had been getting very alarmed at high wind speeds - didn't notice they were kmh!  Doh!  Although it still seems in excess of whatever the equivalent was anyway - little breeze?  Not when it knocks me over and branches fall down!

9 days and then summer is coming!  

Heavy rain down here this morning and it's supposed to last for several hours. Temperature is 8C rising to 9C this afternoon, so the heating is going on. No strong wind fortunately, because we have a lot of feeders that could get wet. According to the forecast the weather is going to be even worse further South, particularly Portugal.

The rain is set to continue and the temperatures fall further with frosts. We have two single glazed windows to the South which are great at letting the heat from the sun in but are prone to condensation. Bought a Karcher WV1+ yesterday in preparation for removing aforesaid condensation; should be a lot easier than a squeegee and a sponge.