Christian

The Weather Thread #9

We got quite a lot very quickly as it was proper big snowflakes not the ‘dandruff’ that usually falls in urban areas.  Went 12 miles down the road for a hospital appt and there was nothing but it there was very wet sleet so assumed  it had melted there.  Got home to find we’d had another load and the local council say we are due another 6 hours worth tonight   We had to divert to get to the hospital as a major road by the local hospital was shut due to accidents.  Slightest snow around here and the accidents start.  Dreading tomorrow with snow on top of ice.  Roads will be awful too may people around here can’t drive in hazardous conditions 

Edited by ajm200

Ajm my old neighbour has texted (from the sunny Caribbean) to say her daughter reported a lot of snow.  We were in Hook so not very far from you!  We had a few flurries this morning along with rain, so it soon turned to sleet.  It was beautiful first thing with a bit of frost.  After that we had rain for the most part with a few gaps of sun.  Clear and bright outside now.  We do have the ice warning, and seeing as the roads get like rivers when it rains, then I can imagine how dangerous it will be - downhill skating!!!  

My daughter drove home in snow in Leamington Spa and her other half said it was snowing in Northampton all day!  

Looks like it's going to be rather unsettled now for the next month or so.  Batten the hatches and be careful.

Still icy and some frozen slushy snow on our road this morning but main roads were clear. However, I don't do main roads on the school run so just took it very carefully - having driven the same route each school day for the past 9 years I know which bits get dodgy although am still annoyed by other drivers just carrying on as usual. Got overtaken this morning by a zonking great  4 x 4 something which then had to brake hard for a corner and went slithering sideways, thus proving the old adage that size doesn't matter :P

• Thanks 1

Cocky idiot!  I wonder if that'll be censored?  :lol:  We had a nice-ish day on Wednesday before the rain but it was a bitterly cold breeze that eased off when the clouds came over.  Thursday was drizzle for most of the day but a dry evening and clouds clearing.  Today has been lovely - wind's picked up a bit this afternoon.  We spent the morning outside and lost track of time for lunch!  I was ferrying barrowl oads of turf and spoil from the greenhouse to the veg patch - I can only manage about 4 barrow loads, although today I did 5 before I felt like a gorilla as my arms felt about 10ft long!  Then I helped OH with his apple and walnut prunings - he was shredding the smaller parts, separating good parts for kindling and leaving larger branches to cut down into smaller chunks for the fire - they'll be stored away to dry out for a long time!  The chooks have been allowed to wander in the field but they stay near the walnut tree, so I've used some old netting to stretch under the tree and they've had a whale of a time in the tussocks underneath it!

The snow is gone and I can finally open the roof of the eglu.  Guess that means I’m cleaning the bars.  🤢 After 10 years they are so hard to clean even after a good soak.  Need to invest in two sets of the plastic replacements. 

Hubby says we have a weather warning for wind tonight (although I can’t find one) so need to make sure everything is secure

Yes - yellow warning for severe windy weather tonight and tomorrow, easing off midday.  Apparently.  It's windy already with the added bonus of horizontal drizzle.  Yesterday it was so nice!  So today we pay for it.

I ordered spare bars - basically it's one on, one off and one in the wash.  Now I have had to double that because of 2 cubes!  I hasten to add I inherited a couple with the second cube, so that was a relief!  Same with the eglu.  

Every night so far the chickens have climbed into the cube at sunset.   Tonight we’ve just got back and I found them all out in the cube run perched together in a row under the tarp.  

Run clips aren’t that easy to undo in the dark when they are wet and cold.  Three little chickens tucked up in the cube and this drowned rat off for a nice hot bath as soon as child 2 finishes making the bathroom pong.    Can safely say that’s a lot of rain

• Haha 1

:lol:  You need another bathroom!

We have had a bit of a bashing here, although it sounds as though it has eased off, it certainly wasn't coming from the north either as it's hitting our windows on the opposite side of the house.  Rain is intermittent, but not lashing now.  I hope there isn't more to come.  I really thought the run might take off as the top was creaking and rattling like crazy!  We battened the hatches on the greenhouse - it has a handle to fasten the windows from inside in case of strong winds - and we do get 'em here!

I am sleeping in the attic bedroom at the moment, due to ongoing building work. Was woken in the night by rain battering the velux windows.... deployed earplugs. The wind has been howling through the gap where i leave a window open. Temp is now down from 8deg to 1.8, and snow is forecast, haven't  looked out yet to see if we havw any.

I think it eased off a little during the night, didn't hear it at all but after OH got up I just laid there not being able to get back to sleep (looking at the clock and saying to him ooh you had a lay-in didn't help!) and all was quiet until around 7 and then we've kicked off again.  Wind is NNW, I see the moon and Venus (I think) and a lot of clouds moving SSE very fast!  The run is still standing!  But it'll be a little more protected by the bank and hedgerow trees.

Strong West winds and heavy rain down here as well. Just seen the chickens trying to walk across the yard and it's one step forwards and one sideways. Thunderstorms are a possibility and the next week looks rather unsettled, so no gardening yet.

Our last houses had Velux windows in bedrooms; to be honest they don't really work very well as being woken up by rain in the night, particularly in Winter, was regular and unsettling. Blanking out all the light in Summer was a problem as well, even with the proper blinds fitted.

Found this to be particularly useful - better than Accuweather as it's updated every 5 minutes - gives a much more overall picture of speed and deluge!  Sadly it doesn't zoom in quite so close though, but not really a problem when you pinpoint a rough idea of where your situation is.  We have had some sleet but pretty much on the edge.  It does blow over very fast but it's also extremely cold.  Bitterly so!🌬️🌨️

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

That looks a brilliant site, I am particularly interested in the jetstream as that plays a massive part in our weather.  Our ferry to Santander this evening has been cancelled as Force10 forecast in the Bay of Biscay, so I guess we are in for a battering as well.

Snow and rain forecast for 30th and the 1st, but I guess it'll be sleet as usual.  At least the wind has dropped a lot although there are the odd whooshes.  I made the fire this evening, OH was smirking and said would I like him to help me, no thanks.  He laughed when I lit the match and then had to eat humble pie as it took quite well and before long we were adding a couple more logs on.  He said he never thought I'd get it going.  Hah!  Get back in the kitchen, Man!  

• Like 1