Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Surprisingly, after the "terrible weather from the north" is now rubbish coming from the south west.  The rain has just hit here and quite heavy.  I'm contemplating setting up a sheet in the run so that the snow doesn't blow in!  Half is covered, half exposed but snow floofles doesn't it!!!

I would

I covered mine in preparation for the last lot of snow.  I just used a cheap tarp and the bungee/ball ties so it is easy to remove again.  The chickens have loved it, sitting on the highest perch which is now sheltered on all sides from the biting cold wind

Everything here has to be heavy duty cable ties - the ball bungees break!  But so far it seems like an ordinary rainy morning and appears to be getting lighter.  At least we haven't got the gales too! 

I might set up some pallets and put half fence posts at the top for extra windbreak and perching spaces - mainly for the twins who like flying high!  The pekins are happy with chairs and the brahmas just don't overexert themselves at all and sit on the aubiose instead!

• Like 1

It is sleeting here too.  No proper snow yet.   Our ancient 9.5 year old rabbit who is dead, half blind and stiff limbed has decided tonight is a good night to keep falling over.  Brought her in and she kept thumping so she’s back out with the other furries and I’m checking on her every 5 mins.  It’s horrible out there 

It eased off here mid-afternoon, I could see the pink sunset clouds on the horizon, when I sorted the girls (and boy) out I saw the pale blue evening sky with some super dark grey cumulus cauliflower clouds.  I've set up some pallets and a couple of old sheets - feels quite cosy in there now, apart from the gappy bits LOL!  DD has phoned to say she has snow but that weather link shows it's almost done in that neck of the country.  Found another button that says "show weather type" and the snow is in pink!  At least it isn't yellow!

I guess we are having a load during the night according to OH's forecast.

Some light snow this evening but not settled. Forecast is not good for tomorrow. TBH, however, I think that the forecasters do tend to go down the 'doom and gloom' road and go for the worst option following Michael Fish's total failure to predict the horrendous storms of....was it '87? I remember driving friends to Gatwick during the deluge and gale force winds - yuk! It will be what it will be!

Deep frost last night - OH said it was -5 when he got up and it's 2 degrees with a wind chill of -4.  Tomorrow is supposed to feel like -7 all day tomorrow.  I think I'll put those jackets on the cubes now.  It was a deep frost this morning and it's only just gone in most places.  The left over snow is crunchy!  Wind is picking up big time now.  We had a smattering of ice drops, like you DM, earlier on but it has been dry up till now.  Wind seems to be coming from the south west but clouds are going from east to west, so all very confusing.  Trigger wanted OUT of the run, but I had to ignore that until we had OH's partner turn up on a business trip - so we showed him round and we weren't out there long.  Trigger was able to come out and went straight back in again - seeeeeeeee, I told you so, boy!

I’ve been outside since 11 wrapped up in thermals, etc as three of the chickens are out in the garden. Was cold but bearable.  Temperature is dropping fast now.  Met office says 3 degrees but the sheltered outdoor thermometer says 1 degree.   The free ranging birds are now snuggling inside the greenhouse that that I deliberately left open for them.  I’m watching from indoors with a hot chocolate.  Sky overhead is clear but a very black cloud is on its way and the sun has a hazy halo.  See pic

EE61A1A8-AF86-4BC0-88D0-CC0FF958CE87.jpeg

Looks like they've had a bucket load of snow over Bodmin.  Not good being stuck in this weather - hope your friend has provisions and warm stuff.  Still snowing here but it's very wet and looking out it isn't really settling.  I'm watching waves of the sleety stuff blow across the fields.  Looks like it's stopped and clear (or maybe just cloud, not the wet stuff) from Newquay down to Falmouth.  Hopefully it will go away soon.