Christian

The Weather Thread #9

16 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

The M3 has 12 mile stationery traffic :shock:

It’s taking up to 45 mins to get the hills st either end of the next village, Crowthorne. Cars are just sliding and losing grip and the hills aren’t that steep 😳

FA18C022-0687-46AA-9BB6-8C12946A6272.png

Oh no. Fortunately OH who works a lot of the week in your part of the country came home yesterday afternoon as he had booked his car into the local garage. Otherwise it sounds like he would have struggled to get home tonight. 

I hope the roads and motorways improve soon. 

Thankfully we haven't had any of the white stuff worth mentioning. We have had very icy village road up to our main road. 

Take care everyone. 

Just seen this on the local FB group:

‘took me 80 minutes to get from crowthorne to owlsmoor!!,’

That’s 2 miles.  It is the next village but the direct route via the forest road is pedestrianised.  Still walking distance via the car route though.

The roads aren’t gritted.  They put out grit bins but people take it to do drives, etc.  

Edited by ajm200

Rain has just reached Exeter, soon be here.  We had a little rain earlier.  Felt quite mild, another pretty nice day and the thaw was happening quite fast.  This morning only a small amount of grass visible behind the leccy fence and by mid morning there was a big spotch of green and they were queuing up to be let out into the field!  The bunnies have had a (no pun intended) field day with all the tracks and the fox has been on the prowl and possibly bunny chasing!  Was a bit of a chilly wind later this afternoon but nothing near the cold that we were expecting.  The snow is quite deep at the bottom of the field because of the drifts, but the landscape is much greener again.

Rain hit around 11-ish.  By the time I turned in it was lashing at the windows.  During the night we had what sounded like a train whoooing and then splat!  A bucket of water at the window - which then continued for such a long time that I fell asleep listening to it!  Still raining but the wind has dropped to a gentle breeze.  The only snow left is where it had drifted to the edges of the fields and where the hedges have protected it.  Going out to the birds I felt quite sad that it had gone so fast - it was beautiful while it lasted, but maybe we'll have a nice summer.

Can't see the windy wet and drizzle weather today because of the fog!:roll: again.  Back to normal!  On a brighter note, while we are in the clouds, the people in the villages down the hill are under the cloud and getting bigger drips.  Well that's what I like to think because I'm meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean!:lol:

• Haha 1

Yesterday was reasonable but a chilly breeze, got lots done in the greenhouse and went out for a meal down the road - coming back the rain had returned.  Lashing rain and exceedingly strong winds overnight meant we had to shore up the chicken run - some of the windbreaks had been blown partially off, much to their disgust and lots of whingeing as the rain had got in.  It was mostly sunny but we had showers too, some with hail.  Cold wind still lingers.