Christian

The Weather Thread #9

We were going out but Erik made us change our minds - these are huge 50/60 mph winds so lots of branches and twigs falling.  The rain is seeping into the chook run but at least the northern side of it is dry - for the time being!  No let up and it looks like Cornwall is about to get another session.

We inherited a very large tank - dunno what was in it before, but the snails are happy in there - it was empty apart from some dirt and snails!  So yesterday we wheeled it into another part of the garden and OH filled it up with water from the rain tank at the back of the workshop.  The rain tank has now replenished itself and is overflowing!  I bought a rain gauge for my weather readings - it is still indoors.  Bet that isn't big enough anyway!:lol:

20 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Me too, I am working from home tomorrow,  and usually take a break to get the dogs out. Shall be disappointed if it is wet.

Yes, well, disappointed of Chalgrove here! Yuk most of the day and even ES, who was playing tennis in the pouring rain (his Friday after school treat) gave up. February Fill The Ditch has struck!

Oh, whoopee do! Thanks DM.......something to look forward to :wink: Apparently we have hurricane Eric to blame for current heavy rain and high winds. Well....I don't know about you but how can a hurricane with a name like Eric really expect to be taken seriously?  A bit like a flood alert called Mildred or a snowstorm called Hubert! Slight hysterical note creeping in  - probably due to dismal and depressing weather conditions :P

• Haha 1

No let up and it looks like Cornwall is about to get another session.

It was windy and pretty wet overnight Thurs night and Friday, but I wouldn’t say it was anything particularly out of the ordinary for winter. I was out and about and in full waterproofs it was OK and not cold.

Non descript today - mild, slightly breezy, mostly dry with the odd shower. Massive swell though - I go to yoga in Newquay on a Saturday morning and the sea was HUGE this morning 🌊

1 minute ago, soapdragon said:

OOOhh, very :mrgreen:! I LOVE the sea when it's wild and stormy - Hartland Point...those who know it will know what I mean!

North Devon has done amazing coastline. Love how rugged and unspoilt it is compared with so much of the south coast.  We spend a lot of time in North Devon 

I’m off out to dig holes in the garden.  Family all think I’m Insane but we are missing the worst of the storm so it’s just breezy with heavy showers.  Just need to be busy and outdoors.   I’m not going to sit around all day indoors.  I need to busy even if it equates to soaking wet.  I have waterproofs

• Like 1

Cornwall is wild for sure!  First in line for most stormy weather - just not experienced it closer to hand before now - it's always calmed down by the time it got to the old place.  I meant to say that the whole country is having the wet and cold stuff and not just here.  But we certainly seem to get wetter winters.  Today we had sleet, then lots of cumulonimbus clouds with heavy showers and plenty of sun in between.  Still very windy but not as bad as the other day.  

Hartland Point is lovely.  Not been there for 9 years!

We've had a mixed day here, in the middle of the country - lashing wind and rain all night, with quite a lot of surface water on the roads when  took the dogs out first thing. It cleared around lunchtime and the sun was gorgeous, so I let the laydees out for a play. Apart from the odd shower and a hail storm, it has been nice and it's still clear now, so expect a frost in the morning.

Apart from a couple of drizzle sessions, we've had super weather.  Sometimes a bit chilly, but dry - mostly sunny and sometimes we've had warm breezes.  Today the wind was warm at 8am!  I don't know if there was a frost but the dew was heavy.  We have had a lot of hazy sun and days when it's been crystal clear.  Bees have been out on the heather in the garden and the trees are budding - the elder trees already have a few leaves!  Daffs are popping out all over and the primroses in the hedgerows are looking good.  Snowdrops are going over but celandines and dandelions are also in flower.  Happy, happy, happy!

We had a gorgeous day today.  Clear blue skies and 16 degrees in Feb.  Can’t complain.  Had to get the shading onto the greenhouse as it was warming up by 8am. The walls and roof are now painted.   Auto vents installed and shade cloth and clips ready on the outside.  Just need to see some rods into the ends to weigh it down and make it easier to clip.  Might even get fancy and work out how to make blinds that can retract

It does lift the heart with days like this doesn't it.  Although we were in A&E for most of it because OH decided to play lumberjack and sliced his finger with a pruning saw!   DD thought I was the one who wielded the weapon to finish him off, and I told her as it was self-inflicted I only had to bide my time!:lol:  But I wore a skirt and had sandals and a t-shirt without needing a jumper for the first time this year.  I've normally worn sandals all winter long in the past!

Super sunny pics DM - seems you have a little haze there too.  Love from a happy, happy person!

• Like 1

Thankies - he'll live!  Just steristrips and a dressing.  Change dressing on Monday and leave the strips on.  I need to buy more steristrips because I used the last packet on him before we went to try and hold the wound together.  Of course he did a selfie and sent it to our children for sympathy - because he didn't get any for me.  Honestly, he was in full chain saw gear - couldn't get that to work (oil leaking somewhere) and decided to take his gloves off to use a pruning saw.  I despair sometimes!:lol:

• Like 1