Christian

The Weather Thread #9

The storm was supposed to miss us but the wind still got quite strong at times.  Had to rescue a little chicken who was walking into the wind and getting blown backwards.  Very little damage from it but the letterbox broke and flapped all night

Buds blown off the Magnolia in this strong southerly wind. Trying to help them open by putting in water but not hopeful it will work.   Sunny, but biting wind in Oxford when we went today to see the Jeff Koons exhibition at the Ashmolean.  And that’s another story! 

Really weird weather this afternoon. Cold with sunshine and showers but then about 5 o’clock we suddenly had 4 or 5 massive rumbles if thunder, and then I could hear a weird noise a bit like wind coming closer and closer - turned out to be a hail storm with hail stones about a centimetre across and perfectly clear! 

It's been a very haily day!  The poor guys were working in the field in them - OH took them tea and brownies and also got pelted!  He said they were so painful.  The ones today were huge and really battered on the windows!  Glad I delegated the tea task! :lol:  Beautiful cumulonimbus clouds with whispy anvils and lovely rounded sides.

Saw a super sun dog late this afternoon - probably your storm Mullethunter!  The clouds behind it looked quite evil in a pretty way!

• Like 1

Keep your fingers crossed that we get dry weather until at least 4 o’clock tomorrow please.  Want to get everyone in and out of the funeral in their Sunday best without a soaking.  We had a huge downpour today that the met office app didn’t predict 

Alternating between a sharp blow but sunny and heavy rain! I do worry about a cold snap after that lovely warm weather killing off the brave plant life and insects that started to make an appearance. I wonder what sort of year it will be for the flora and fauna with that almost hot week?

Well we had a lovely morning followed by rain and now back to torrential windy rain and that's been going on for ages now.  I think I need to swap chickens for ducks - hope their place hasn't blown over - should be OK as it's withstood some nasty stuff, but looking at the satellite it seems that we are in for more gale force winds tomorrow too.  

I knew when the MET said expect 40 storms this winter that they were exaggerating, although not as much as we have had lately.  Non-stop gales and wet stuff since that hint of spring a kazillion days ago (or seems like).  But I don't mind when the sun shines with the wind - it's the horizontal rain and constant grey that's so depressing.  I see there's snow on Dartmoor, Exmoor, Dulverton and Tiverton on the radar, hoping it doesn't get here!

We had huge hailstones that came down fast and made it look like it snowed. Fell from a bright blue sunny sky.  Was out planting grass seeds.  Afterwards I watered it in in the rain.  No idea what the neighbours thought.   Had raked it, rolled it and then soaked the ground to make as much of it as possible disappear to hide it from the chickens.  The garden is huge and I definitely overdid it as I woke up feeling rotten and thought fresh air would help.  I never learn to pace myself.   Tomorrow I do nothing!! 

Edited by ajm200

Was a dark and stormy night - well it was windy and a bit rainy but this morning it was sunny.  Still breezy but nowhere near as unpleasant.  Didn't need a coat either.  I did see some hailstones that hadn't melted - all stuck in the moss in the grass.  Very pretty little beads.  Not sure how long they'd been there as the paths were dry!  The chickens had a jolly good explore in the garden and have found a nice new hiding place behind the garage between the bank hedge and some conifers - our secret passage!  I just wonder if they will be visiting our neighbours garden seeing as their cat comes over to mine.  He is like my little dog following me around.  Sooo off track - we did have a couple of showers but all in all nice and sunny between the grey - and the ground seems to be drying ready for the next deluge!

Edited by Valkyrie
my grammar went walkabout