Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Well we are back to soggy, but we have sun and horizontal rainy sessions.  Yesterday we had snow, sleet and hail and lashings of rain.  The wind had died down but picked up in the evening.  Very gusty today.  I wonder if this is "storm" Gareth?  There are flying birds doing crab impersonations and going sideways - or flapping like mad and getting nowhere until they dive down low.  From my safe spot indoors I can't help laughing at them.  Poor things!  I need to get my garlic and onions in the ground - they are almost pot bound!  When OH comes back and the wind dies down (hah!) I'll get him to help me hold down the cardboard while I dump a load of compost on it so I can get them going!

It's been very windy here. The chickens hate it. A panel blew out of the greenhouse and next door's apple tree which is huge got uprooted. I'm glad it wasn't their pear tree because that might have landed on the chickens. They would definitely have hated that. Two days ago it was calm and sunny and there was a long rumble which sounded like an explosion. OH was at work just a couple of miles away in Greenford and I asked if he'd heard it and he said they had a massive thunderstorm with very heavy rain. Absolutely no sign of it at all here, just the sound of the rumble. 

I don't bother getting up and looking outside the window now - I already know.  There is a constant hum through the wires and the solar panels with plonking drips on the window ledge.  Last night was even more disturbing as I could feel the vibrations and hear it through the pillow - then I remembered that we aren't totally protected as the extension only covers part of the wall.  We do get trapped wind in the corner there and probably putting the sealing to the roof to the test.  I guess it's Gareth's indigestion.  Seems no let up today or tomorrow either - Sunday looks calmer.  Then we have a promise of sleet - joy!  March has been a very depressing month.  The chickens are going stir crazy.  If it wasn't for lulls in the afternoon and fleeting glimpses of the sun they'd be stuck inside all the time - the pekins like the tussocks under the walnut tree while the big lumps go for a stroll into the garden.

Very scary to have trees uprooted so near!  That must have been one heck of a thunderclap for those directly underneath!:shock:

We've had a wet and windy cold spell and this morning it was only 3C until the sun came up. It's very still, no clouds and it seems likely the forecast temperature of 22C will be achieved. Starting to dig a hole for a nectarine tree; the ground will have softened with the rain but it will still need a pickaxe below 3".

A week of Gareth - did not like!  Went to Northamptonshire on the last day of the big winds, stayed with my daughter and saw sunshine!  Following day was sun and hail and then I was off to Hertfordshire for the quilt retreat.  Felt guilty as the weather was dry - chilly and cloudy but no wind!  Yayyyy!  Home last Friday and it's been super all week long - and warm!  Today is back to chilly and cloudy with a bit of sun.  Sorry folks - that is my fault.  I bought sunblock and aftersun yesterday!  I was getting a bit singed in the field and only had last years sunblock.  Well, it did the job until I went to the chemist.  I even got the washing on the line!  Poo that reminds me that the ironing needs doing!

We had the first significant rain here last night and this morning for 3 weeks; it was an official drought in the far South of France . Thunderstorms and heavy rain due tomorrow and then the temperatures plummet from 5C and 20C down to 0C and 9C, which is a bit annoying because the courgettes have just gone out and the tomatoes were going to follow. In our spot a frost is highly likely.

Bloomin' 'eck!!!!! Just has a shower of what looked very much like golf balls (same size!) coat the garden in white! Frozen April showers! My Reynaulds was back with a vengance this morning.....five dead white fingers and to think that, yesterday, I was in a t shirt and cotton trousers >:( I do wonder what effect this see saw weather will have on the poor wildlife?

Judging from the slight drips on the window ledge, not much rain in the night, and sunshine as I left for Wiltshire.  Arrived in a heavy downpour but looked like it had been around a while, but soon the sun came out.  Lots of little hail sessions but warm sun.  Going back home seemed fine, although over the Deverills it was easy to see the next little storm clouds.  Beautiful they were and lots of cotton wool ones in between.  

I think DD had the same sleet shower as she sent us a video (complaining that neither of her parents could be bothered to pick up the phone) and the sleet all sliding down the windscreen - and the rear!  She said she had to sit on a big pillow to see out.  I hasten to add she was parked in the driveway of her house!

Yep April showers have arrived!

Well first thing was hail this morning but it soon passed.  We headed off to Yatton to see OH's cousin and they had a little sun, but mostly rain, hail and a session of really heavy rain and sleet which accompanied us nearly all the way home - from Taunton it seemed fairly dry!  Back at home - dry as a bone.  We had a couple of hail sessions this evening but nothing much.