Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Dashing through the showers with a wheelbarrow full of hay, slipping as I go and growling all the way ar ar arrr!

Well I think I managed to get half a dozen runner bean poles in by installments.  Some are tied and some aren't.  Today looked good for the solstice - was up for the sunrise - by accident - yesterday's strimming gave me an arm ache so thought I may as well get up.  Even let the birds out!  Now it's all clouded over again and looking on the radar there's a teeny tiny patch of rain over us whereas everywhere else seems clear (apart from Exeter and east of Cullompton).  Hoping for some sun - it could at least make an appearance for mid-summer!

Cool and drizzle here, which is unusual. Seems the thunderstorms are either side of us and to the North. Hoping for light rain all night to top up the water butts and dreading next week which is forecast to be 36C  in the shade and clear skies for at least 4 days. The old chickens will struggle, so it may be watering runs and using electric fans, with the occasional foot bath. I'll be struggling as well and the vegetables may cook in-situ.

We are also predicted a heatwave over the weekend and into early next week, although not as severe as in mainland Europe. It is due to break from late Sunday with thunderstorm warnings from then and through to Tuesday. No idea what we're getting after that, but we could do with good weather the last weekend in June.

Yes, I saw that.  It was originally earmarked for us on Monday/Tuesday, so it's racing towards us.  Certainly very warm today once the clouds cleared.  Even the wind was pleasant.  Was able to do all sorts in the greenhouse and field and even cleaned the girls out before the next deluge.  Oh well winter's coming!

Just checking the online forecast for Oxford.....up to 30 degrees by the end of the week! Not a fan of the heat and dreading it....there seems no escape when it's hot (at least you can add a layer in the cold; there is a limit to how much you can strip off and not get talked about!) Hoping for some thunder though as we didn't get any last week - love a good storm, I do!

The forecast for here has become far worse now with temperatures for the following week of 40+C. Now we've only seen those temperatures here once in the last 7 years when it reached 42C in the shade and the breeze coming up the valley felt like sitting in front of a fan heater. The government said, for health reasons, stay inside from 11.00 am to 7.00pm and what were we doing; running about spraying the runs with water, setting up fans and bringing heat distressed chickens into the house to cool them down!!!

Oh my goodness Beanie!  I'd melt before I'd even got out of bed!  Predicted 30 here but then I think being high, we may get a bit of a breeze to cool it down.  They certainly get warmer temperatures in the next village which is a couple of hundred feet below us.

But this was definitely more like it last night.  We sat in the field and watched the swallows.

20190621_193007.jpg

You are all having much better weather than me.  Following 2 weeks of very average weather, yesterday and today are pleasantly warm, probably around 30 in the sun, but I am still in long trews and jumper on in the evening.  I know this is all relative, if I was in the UK I would be finding 30 hot, not sure why.  Tomorrow & Tues we have rain forecast which is highly unusual in normal circs, but it keeps raining this year.  I think the heatwave you are all getting doesn't come down to us until next weekend and even then its below 40.  

I think you adapt to the weather where you live.  In Florida we were in t-shirts while locals were wrapped up in thick coats!  Same for my aunt in Cyprus - she says it's cold in winter - but where she is, it's like a nice spring day here!  I wouldn't mind average weather - just not the monsoons!

Planted everything in the veg plot that needed it, strimmed all across the field to the edible hedging and around those so that the mower could keep the grass down around the little plants.  Even with sun cream slathered on I've caught the sun - not enough to burn but enough!  So mad dogs and Englishmen as they say . . . so in with some orange juice and 7Up for a rest and a cool down!

Probably, DM, having just planted the toms out in growbags on the patio where they'll get nicely battered >:( my fault really as I was late planting (early May, not having a greenhouse!)

All windows open today, chicken (sorry but it IS f/r and organic!) on the barbie, bedding washed, out and dried and plan to get fans down from the loft tomorrow in readiness for the heatwave! To think we had the heating on 2 weeks ago :o

Goldie no longer broody so was off in the garden with the other big'uns.  So I grabbed a chair and put it under the walnut tree and hoiked out the little'uns and they had a whale of a time scrabbling around where we'd cleared the grass and nettles.  OH surprised me with a Pimms!  So we both sat under the tree while the little girls had the best time in a long while!  Just gone outside and it's a lot cooler and the sun has disappeared.  Weather looks like storms late Sunday to Monday early hours then rain in the afternoon.  Joy.  Tuesday looks good but storms throughout Wednesday, particularly in the afternoon to evening with "torrential" rain.  Big joy.  Not amused!  

They've changed their minds - the storms and torrential rain is now sunny.  Still forecast for the early hours of Monday - looks like we are escaping the worst.  Early night tonight and hope I sleep through any reconstructed 1812 Overture from the weather.

Today started as it finished yesterday - cooler with total cloud cover - pretty blue/grey and pastel shades.  

• Like 1

Seems Birmingham had a couple of odd lightning strikes.  Been looking at the lightning map and it's kicking off in France and reached Bayeux, lets hope it wears itself out across the Channel.  We have a 35% chance of storm risk around dawn.  I don't think we'll get any and they haven't changed their minds either, just a few showers during the night.  Supposed to be even more humid tomorrow - didn't think that would be possible - got so uncomfortable today!  Like prickly heat all over - just not nice!

Well off to bed sweet dreams all!

It looked like a 2 prong attack - the east side and through the mid-west.  We were just on the edge of it.  It looks like Kent had early morning storms about an hour or so ago, not so the rest of the country.  It just got very dark here but now looks like the sun is trying to break through as it has taken on a pale yellow glow on the leaves - I hear birds and the oak tree is gently waving.  Maybe blowing over.  Right off to do chores as my coffee is finished!