Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Well, heavy rain in Oxford right now, ajm, but set to clear around lunchtime. If you are going to the Radcliffe or Churchill though do allow plenty of time to park (and I mean plenty) it gets a bit manic after 9.30am.

Good luck; hope you get some answers. Will think of you; let us know how you go!

35C here on Sunday with low humidity felt nice, but yesterday and today at 33C with high humidity is stifling. Forecasts vary, but we have at least two days to come around 39C, perhaps four days. No rain for the next week so more tap water added to the butts making a seasonal shortfall so far of 2300 Litres. Will  have to do the maths at the end of the season to see if extra rain water storage is economical and how much we would need between periods of rain to avoid using tap water.

The spare freezer is now on preparing ice blocks for the drinkers ready for tomorrow. We have some chickens that are smart enough to stand in their water trays to cool down, but unfortunately we have some that are not, so the cages in the house are set up ready. There is a good Easterly breeze though coming up the valley, so we're hoping that just hosing down outside the runs will keep everyone cool.

The other problem is keeping the house cool, which means opening doors and windows at first light when it is coolest, then keeping everything closed during the day.

Beantree, would it be practical to have an underground grey water collection tank? I would love one, and if the rear of my place was more easily accessible, I would get one dug.

I have the same drizzle as M&M, working at home today and started off in shorts and flipflops, but changed to jeans as it got cooler.

The soil is quite thin here DM, so anything over a foot and it is hard clay which is rock a foot further down, although it varies over the whole plot. So digging a hole deep enough would be nigh-on impossible. We have two surface concrete butts of 1000 litres each at the moment, but they were installed when the house was renovated and now the septic system prevents heavy equipment accessing the back of the house. I've seen some plastic 500 litre pots which could be set to cascade down from one to another to another and another, giving us an extra 2000 litres. Perhaps next year?

27C already here and they are now saying 41C in central France (the Limousin). No rain on the cards for at least a week.

It's been so very hot here - high 70s but real feel of almost 90!  But we did have the breeze so that was very welcome.  I've removed all the rain/wind shelters to the sides of the run so that if it is chilly windy later on, then they can still duck down, but the breeze cooled it down inside reasonably well.  Did my chores early so have been sitting under the trees with the little ones - I think those little chickens must be plum tuckered out tonight because we were out there quite a lot in the shade!  

The farmers have been very busy mowing - the landscape is all green lines now - well some are dried out so I expect baling will be done in a couple of days.  Ours is being done on Wednesday - as long as we don't get the thunderstorms promised!

If I remember I'll look for the noctilucent clouds tonight!

Came over cloudy - like thick quilted clouds - mammarian perhaps, while to the east it looked like lots of larch trees lying on their sides - very strange!  No chance of noctilucent clouds here tonight.  But the wind has dropped to nothing, very still outside while the smell can only be described as being on the beach - seaweed!

Was up really early this morning and we were out working in the garden. Lots of Van Gogh type clouds!  Quite some time later we had a drink as it was getting quite hot so I went and brought a cold drink out - we thought it was getting towards 11 heat-wise.  It was only 9.30!  Then we went indoors for a short while and I grabbed my books to go out and sit with the chooks in the orchard in the lovely shade (no wind though) and then it clouded over!  Still, it was nice to sit in the fresh air without feeling as though I was burning.  After lunch it was still cool-ish so I went back in the field - then it got really hot and sunny again!  Back inside again!  Then after dinner we were going to do some more field work - I did plant a few things and set up some netting and watched a low cloud come rolling over as the wind had picked up a lot - it got quite chilly and was in the cloud for a while - it was quite amazing and cool!  Almost felt like rain but I think it was more like the sea mist coming in at Falmouth and the boats use the fog horns and then it all goes!  Funny old day - no more storm warnings ahead and it's much more pleasant!

Well we survived the heatwave, as did all the chickens. The eagerly anticipated thunderstorms didn't arrive yesterday so we only got 10mm of rain, whereas 20Km North they recorded 38mm. So now we are 'red alert' for drought and are not allowed to use tap water for our plants. So looks like we are going to have pump out our little (2m3) pool to keep our stuff alive!

Weather here the last few days has been starting off comfortable and fresh but, by mid day, humid and muggy. And the nights! Eugk! The only good thing about it is that I can't eat much in the heat (got to search for the positives, haven't you!?) Hoping to drop a few pounds!

ES is doing D of E expedition/camp this weekend otherwise I'd be out in the garden doing a rain dance. But not a drop forecast right up to the end of the 7 day long range next week!!! We should probably take bets on when the hosepipe ban will come into force!