Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Good news about our red alert drought; it only applies to the NW of the Department and the rest of us are not on any drought alert level whatsoever. So we continue to use tap water on the vegetables, left for 4 days to allow the Chlorine to come out. Most of our veg is out now (potatoes and onions), so our usage has dropped considerably, but we've still used 6000 litres of tap water this year and with a heatwave forecast for next week, with still no rain, we are set to use even more. 

Didn't get to completely empty the water butts.  The ones in the garden were syphoned to the ones in the field.  They are fairly big and I probably used up 2 large ones in all.  The big tank wasn't completely emptied either. A lot of things like the onions and spuds had to fend for themselves - even the brassicas didn't need watering and we've had some amazing calabrese!  Mostly the water slurping culprit was the greenhouse.  I only did the peppers when they looked like they needed it and the tomatoes every morning, unless it was wet - not done it today.  

Yesterday we had .1 of an inch overnight.  Today we were a third of the way up the container - possibly half an inch or more, but as it was still chucking it down this evening I didn't have another look!  It's a lot in one day, that's for sure!

All the windbreak sheeting that I took down when it was hot, has now been put up again, but the plastic overhead on the run is pretty much moth eaten and the rain is getting inside.  I'm thinking waxed canvas - or a marquee!

Lots of lovely rain yesterday, much of it quite heavy. When I went to check the waterbutt though it was only half full as the down pipe/connector thingy was full of moss washed down from the roof............grrrrrrr >:( The poor tomato plants took a bashing too but I'm sure that they'll soon perk up. We have baby beans on the runner plants (my 6 for 50p half dead fete bargain!) so I am hopeful of a few, at least (50p's worth would be a result!) 

Goodness it's hot already; 31C inside the garage. Forecast says 38C today and a blistering 43C tomorrow, which I hope is wrong. So we are set for another 4 day heatwave with a third predicted in mid-August. We might get some rain on Saturday, when it gets cooler, which we really need now as almost all the grass is burned, something we haven't seen here before. So 7000 litres of tap water now used and we will be watering the chicken enclosure for the next few days which means a rather large bill due in October!

I'd just emailed someone and one of the closing notes was "as long as we don't have a storm in the night . . ." and 10 minutes later I could see flashes on the horizon.  I guessed Exeter or Honiton.  Trundled across to the windows and closed them (the big windows) in anticipation of rain.  Well on the lightning maps it was going manic and here it was getting closer - a constant rumble like a big jet that just didn't fade away.  This went on for ages, started just before 11pm.  If anyone has watched Malcolm in the Middle with the fireworks episode - the close flashes were like that!  Then half an hour later we got the rain and hail on the windows.  So loud it woke OH up - by then we had no internet and I was a bit concerned that we might even get a power outage if it hit the pylons - none near us but loads a few miles off.  I didn't want to grope around in the strobe lighting!  We watched it for ages, had a few closer rumbles and then just before 1am it had a second innings and was much closer!  I think I went to sleep while it was still flashing away out there.  

And just like DM - we mentioned the water butt as we'd filled the empty butts around the garden and veg patch, so it'll be interesting to see how much or little rain we had.

Just to say that for those of you that can't take the heat, one of those Ice Cool cloths works amazingly well.

I bought one for my sister who lives in Greece and waited for the verdict. 

She said it was fab.

So I bought one for myself and agree it is a very cold cloth and is perfect draped round your neck, if you don't mind a slightly damp T-shirt neck.

I popped out earlier to get one for a friend who is suffering from hot flushes.

Most garden centres seem to sell them for around £6.99