Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Rain hit us earlier than expected last night, we were out so when we got back I had to roll up the greenhouse blinds in case they blew off - in the dark!  Also locked the girls in for the night.  But woke up to torrential rain lashing at the windows and possibly hail.  The lightning was very bright at 3.19 and while it was a way off the thunder was still loud enough.  I had difficulty getting back to sleep and gave up at 5.  I'm wondering how much flooding there is in the lower areas as there was a lot of massive puddles in the road last night on the way home and we didn't think the rain had been that bad!

47 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I'm wondering how much flooding there is in the lower areas as there was a lot of massive puddles in the road last night on the way home and we didn't think the rain had been that bad!

Me neither, but there is a LOT of standing water here... guess who's going puddle-jumping in the 4x4 on the way to work........?:lol: :dance:

• Haha 1

No rain here in OX44 at all but rather bright sunshine but WIND, WIND and yet more WIND - sorry to shout but it's virtually hurricane force! My tomatoes have toppled,my beans are battered (not in a good way!) and the carrots are cowering. I've had to move the peppers and chilli plants and shelter them behind the Weber and have rescued my potted fig from the wind tunnel that is currently our patio. I'd rather heavy rain, TBH, as my carefully nurtured plans will now all need re staking. 

3 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

Just reading about pretty serious tornadoes in France and Holland. It was very windy here but blimey. 

The serious tornado was a pretty strong whirlwind over Amsterdam. All tv weatherpeople are arguing about the terminology, if it was actually a tornado or a whirlwind. But I think they sort of agreed on whirlwind now. 

There was a proper tornado in Luxembourg though. 

I love strong winds, it’s perfect for the Dutch “uitwaaien”. But it is a lot calmer today.

After 6 weeks of heat and drought we've had a decent amount of rain here in the last week and some of the grass is returning. Water butts are overflowing at last, for free! Now there is a band of thunderstorms moving slowly towards us; hopefully no hail or strong winds because the tomatoes will then be wrecked. Despite all the rain there are still 30 Departments on red alert for drought. One area said that up to now they have only had 250mm of rain this year and the normal for the whole year is 750mm, so the grape harvest will be very poor indeed.

4 hours ago, Beantree said:

One area said that up to now they have only had 250mm of rain this year and the normal for the whole year is 750mm, so the grape harvest will be very poor indeed.

Oh no 😪 that's awful news! I may have to stock up! Panic buying fermented grape juice 😆

Seriously although we've had quite a lot of rain here the ground was so dry that t's just drained away and made no discernable difference. Need some sustained water from the skies, I think!

Heavy rain and thunder were forecast here for this evening, which I was really looking forward to. However, it's not appearing on the forecast any more and no rain due till Wednesday. I have lavender plants that need to go in but can't really get a deep enough hole dug as it's so dry.

Was thundering at DD's today but travelling home I got caught in several extreme downpours and hail - not sure about thunder or lightning because I couldn't hear over the noise - a couple of times we had to stop on the motorway!  This evening it's very beautiful outside with lots of storm clouds - but reflecting the sunset - super!  On the drat and double drat side, while I was away the wind blew my bean frames down.  Ah well, at least the chickens shelter is still standing!

Torrential rain in South Oxfordshire this evening.  The water butts are now full to overflowing.   I’ve got 4 vines in the garden which are loaded with fruit which are filling out nicely.  Last year we picked 30+kg which went into our local OxBucks wine collective.  We’ve just taken delivery of a lovely rose, called Chiltern Blush.   So got great hopes for this year!