Christian

The Weather Thread #9

A Winnie the Pooh day here - a tad blustery and I'm surprised they haven't named this as a storm!  So saying the new names are out - I do hope we never go through enough to get to the stupid ones - for instance, Storm Willow.  That doesn't sound stormy in the least, a little wavy but hey ho - they all want to get into the act and name windy and rough weather fronts now - even if they are already named burnt out storms from previous hurricanes!:roll:  Long gone are the little rainy clouds, suns and the puffy windy stick on a map things on the weather news.  

It's just 8C here this morning, which comes as a bit of a shock, but the sun is shining and with no rain forecast until Tuesday it will be a pleasant afternoon at around 24C.

I was reminded of September holidays in France. Just outside Clermont-Ferrand (beautiful city in the middle of France) in an area known as the Volcans (volcanoes) woke up to a very hard frost and decided we should have camped under the trees. However the sun came out and just an hour later it was 26C and we were in T shirts. There were only three campers on the immaculate site, which surrounded a lake in a volcano crater. Well worth a visit.

Really, really heavy rain here all night and into this morning. Haven't seen it so hard for some time. The garden was desperate but I felt very guilty sending my two off to the bus stop in it in spite of their rain coats. Went out to unblock the feed to the water butt and got soaked to the skin in less than 5 mins....had to change jeans and top :lol:

Yes, same here - gentle rain in the night, but much heavier as I took the dogs out for their first walk. 2nd water butt in my cascade is now 7/8ths full :dance:

Rain has now stopped and it is brighter, which I understand is to last for a few hours before the next onslaught.... all that rain we have been missing is coming unto us over the next week or so!

All I can say is that since last Sunday we have had almost 3 inches of rain!  It's squelchy but the winds - Monday was the first night that I slept through, the lashing rain on the windows woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep!  But today the sun came out this afternoon.  Thank blooming goodness for that!  Hopefully fine for tomorrow.

Goodness DM! We are only an hour up/down the M40 but no hail, power cuts or flooding ............yet! We did have a lovely thunder storm around 4.30pm though which I really enjoyed! Def humid this afternoon though, went for a walk and got quite hot (but maybe it's and age thing :lol:. More heavy rain this evening but holding off for now.

Is that letting birds out time and tea time?  Because it's pretty spot on here for rain - plus tucking them in for the night too!:lol:

Today has been so beautiful!  Warm too - bent over weeding and I got a hot bot!  Unfortunately the muscles in said derriere are complaining bitterly because they want it to rain again.  Ducks been mucked out too!  I'm hoping tomorrow will be reasonable to do the chickens - too much in one hit, so trying to rotate and race the rain!

4 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Ties in with school times. There is an evil man at the weather centre with a switch and a watch just waiting until the little darlings are on their way to and from to flick that switch and make it pour.

Indeed it does.

I used to laugh when it rained at 3pm if I finished at 12pm but most days I finish at 3pm and it gets me soaked.

I don't find it funny any more 😎

Wake up and smell the coffee then DM? Mind you, I've smelt far worse from there on occasions :vom:

Winter duvets down from the loft at the weekend then off to the launderette with them early next week. Always an acknowledgement of the changing seasons once the duvets get swapped over! Also needed to wipe down the condensation on the inside of the bedroom windows this morning for the first time this autumn - the lovely sunshine today was misleading; autumn is here!

Very warm indeed today, but it's very cold outside now - we could see our breath!  

5 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

A bitter 6deg first thing, and I can smell roasting coffee, so the wind has switched to the north (those from hereabouts will know what I mean). Lovely and warm in the sun, but that wind is vicious.

My grandmother used to live in Hayes across the way from the Nestles factory - there was a saying that if you could smell the coffee, then it was going to rain - and it was usually right!